OC(UK) Host Review :-)

• Thread starter Thread starter Adz
  • Start date Start date
VeNT said:
if I just want to register a domain, maybe get email forwarding, whos a good suplyer

2 of the top 4 on the list are primarily domain registrars and both provide free e-mail hosting/forwarding. One is a fully paid up Nominet member too ;).

Hmmm well i use a similar type affair with vidahost (and am very happy with it, couldnt find much else tbh). Think its called a single domain package or something. Basically its used for, well, hosting a single domain and using email etc. Take a look here and check out the single domain thingy.

Adz said:
2 of the top 4 on the list are primarily domain registrars and both provide free e-mail hosting/forwarding. One is a fully paid up Nominet member too ;).

But is 45% more expensive than the top one for com/net/org ;)

Sorry, my fault. Some idiot has been spamming the Clook page, I must have forgotten to reset the average when I removed his last 'review'.

Was Clook the only one you noticed?

Does anyone else find the recent ukhost4u reviews a little suspicious? 3 positive reviews within the space of an hour after a succession of negative reviews, all 3 from non-existent usernames....

They're not from the same IP and the IPs do match the ISP supplied e-mail addresses which they've given but looking at the 'evidence', something fishy is going on. I'm just in 2 minds whether or not to remove the 'reviews'. Whenever I remove spam, they just seem to try even harder.

Hmm, I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt. I really need to add a compulsary "what site do you host with them?" field to the review form to help validate submissions.

A few links to hosts websites seem to be broken from the front page (mix of broken links and non hosting websites):

8-95
GFXFusion
Woodhorn Hosting
Beef Hosting
.. possibly more, I've not checked each one.

Thanks. I'll leave them be for now but there's going to be some major changes made as soon as I have some free time.

The last 2 actually belong to our mutual friend ;).

can i make a suggestion?

force users to supply site hosted
dont calculate averages until hoster has at least x number of reviews.

so:
1 10/10 = 0/10
2 10/10 = 0/10
5 10/10 = 10/10

the number can be anything, 2/3/4/5..10 reviews, but it at least means that theres some balance in the reviews.

also i think its a great idea to have weightings on:

price
reliability
extras
customer support

etc

I'm thinking of going down the Register1 VDS Pro route for my photography site. I can't see there being any downsides to their services but I don't know everything I should know about webdesign and webhosting.

Are there any glaring omissions from their feaature list? Anything that people have found a problem with?

Back
Top Bottom