OC(UK) Host Review :-)

• Thread starter Thread starter Adz
  • Start date Start date
Adz said:
I'm going to be adding a "what site do you host" field when I have time and also giving previous reviewers the opportunity to update their review.
Perhaps on the host pages, make a small table towards the bottom of the page to show a list of the websites that are hosted with the particular host? (All in the same place)

From the database? The domain hosted will be shown within the review itself in bold/big font so I don't think a separate table is really necessary :).

Any opinions on the new country flags? If anyone has a suitable collection of icons for all of the major countries, that would be very much appreciated. At the moment I only have USA, UK and Canada.

Adz said:
Beansprout - can do but it would have to be user inputted and thus open to errors/omissions/blatant lies.
Reviews are also open to errors and blatant lies though. This just means you have to whois the domain and confirm via an address on the site, not the user to submit the info :)

Beansprout said:
Reviews are also open to errors and blatant lies though. This just means you have to whois the domain and confirm via an address on the site, not the user to submit the info :)

Very true. I'll be revamping the submission form shortly with a "what site do you host" field and a "which country is this host located in" field and a few others when I have chance. Haven't got any more free time today though :(.

Haven't read through the whole thread so not sure if this has been requested before...

It'd be great to hold a few more details about each host; bandwith per month, disk space, annual cost, mysql, php version, etc.... and then be able to sort by these fields.

LazyManc said:
Haven't read through the whole thread so not sure if this has been requested before...

It'd be great to hold a few more details about each host; bandwith per month, disk space, annual cost, mysql, php version, etc.... and then be able to sort by these fields.

It's a good suggestion but where does this info come from? From the users, from the hosts, from the editors (me?). All 3 are open to errors/omissions.

I'd say from the users, it's not vital to have them 100% accurate because most people would check the service description on the actual host's website before ordering - it's more just to give a general idea.

You're only problem would be populating it in the first place, i'm sure if there was a facility for users to add details there would be a fair few offers of help from this forum.

My only concern is that users (or rival webhosts) may deliberately enter false information. We've had a few 'malicious' entries already since the site was formed. Hopefully shortly I'll have some time to develop the site a bit more since it seems to be receiving a lot of hits now.

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome :).

LazyManc said:

There's hardly many (well-rated) hosts for people to look through - besides, there's lots of other sites which offer that, and there's more to it than a basic feature list. It's also open to all the issues Adz mentions :=

I guess the review site is down for maintenance - will it be back anytime soon?

Im looking to move from my hosting package at hosting-unlimited and so would be keen to see what the rated hosts in your review/list site are

Full Feature List
2,000 MB of Unix Web Space
30 GB of Monthly Bandwidth
Unlimited POP3 E-mail Accounts
Unlimited MySQL Databases
Unlimited Subdomains
Microsoft FrontPage Extensions Installed
Advanced Site Stats
cPanel & Fantastico Auto-Installer

Pricing
Monthly: £6.95 [Order]
Annually: £69.95 [Order]

I've added a very basic CAPTCHA to combat the recent spam the site has been receiving. I've also added a field to the review form for users to enter the website they host with the company when placing a review.

Something I may do possibly in the future is to send out an automated email with an authorisation code to everyone who has placed a review on the site asking them to return and update their review with the URL of the site that they host. After say 1 month, I might delete any reviews which haven't been updated. This should help weed out any fictitious reviews as I'm sure there are a few. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm very suspicious too. It's plausible that they simply emailed their clients with link to the site though.

I'm reluctant to censor it as I've got no proof. I'm sure most people reading will take the reviews with a pinch of salt, won't they? If they're really that bad, the first person who signs up on the strength of those reviews will post their own review condemning the company and preventing others from making the same mistake ;).

Back
Top Bottom