October Upgrade - Spec me - ~£1500

Permabanned
:eek: :(

I hope that you are aware that if you want to upgrade that configuration, you will have to buy a new CPU and a new mobo, and probably new memory, if DDR5 comes by then?

Soldato
:eek: :(

I hope that you are aware that if you want to upgrade that configuration, you will have to buy a new CPU and a new mobo, and probably new memory, if DDR5 comes by then?

He will probably need a new gpu long before needing a new cpu, board or DDR5 Ram. A 6 core cpu will last a good few years for a gaming pc with a bit of video editing on the side.

Permabanned
He will probably need a new gpu long before needing a new cpu, board or DDR5 Ram. A 6 core cpu will last a good few years for a gaming pc with a bit of video editing on the side.

Why? According to the same logic, he should jump on the next-greatest components as quickly as they will be released.
Remember that i7-8700K is as if literally SOLDERED to the motherboard. You can't upgrade it with anything that will be released later.

In several months, Intel will release new montherboards with new 8-core i7-9700K processors.

I'm seriously telling you that in 2-3 years, that 6-core configuration will become low-end already.

Terrible investment. Forget Intel, buy Ryzen, is the best advise.

Soldato
Why? According to the same logic, he should jump on the next-greatest components as quickly as they will be released.
Remember that i7-8700K is as if literally SOLDERED to the motherboard. You can't upgrade it with anything that will be released later.

In several months, Intel will release new montherboards with new 8-core i7-9700K processors.

I'm seriously telling you that in 2-3 years, that 6-core configuration will become low-end already.

It doesn't matter if the cpu can't be upgraded. A 6 core cpu isn't going to be outdated in 2 - 3 years time.

Permabanned
It doesn't matter if the cpu can't be upgraded. A 6 core cpu isn't going to be outdated in 2 - 3 years time.

It should be relegated down to Ryzen 3 (Ryzen 5 low tier maybe) and i3. Don't forget that the next server processor by AMD has 48 cores, that means a quarter of it will be a 12-core part. This is due next year.

Associate
OP

How much is AMD paying you to spam this thread? :confused:

I'm not interested in buying mid tier parts and replacing them year on year, the cost is just spread over the years and it's not going to work out any cheaper. Same reason I while I'll just wait for the i7K to come into stock instead of ordering a non K one and selling it at a loss in one month. My i5 2500K has lasted 6 years and I can still play games like BF1 on reasonable settings, game looks damn great considering its a 6 year old mid range rig.

We all know moores law is dead and its highly unlikely that there will be anything that is *really* worth upgrading to in the next 3 years. Hell, if you check youtube, there are tons of videos comparing the i5 2500K to current CPU's and its matching low tier ryzens in gaming. So sure, this mobo will last 1 launch, but by the time I consider an upgrade, AM4 is likely going to be old news too.

Permabanned
My i5 2500K has lasted 6 years

That was back then when there was no competition from AMD. Now with AMD at their full force, things will be very different. Don't expect history to repeat.
In 2-3 years, your 8700K will be offered by Intel as either a Pentium or Core i3. Just get it!

Associate
OP
That was back then when there was no competition from AMD. Now with AMD at their full force, things will be very different. Don't expect history to repeat.
In 2-3 years, your 8700K will be offered by Intel as either a Pentium or Core i3. Just get it!

I hope you're right, but I doubt it. We'll see in 3 years, until then, I'll still have a decent PC.

Permabanned
I hope you're right, but I doubt it. We'll see in 3 years, until then, I'll still have a decent PC.

Why do you hope that I'm right? :confused: That's against your interest to have a decent system without a need to upgrade as long as possible.

The i7-8700K is an okeyish configuration but lags behind the optimal choice.
I only want to help you to buy the best for your money. Nothing more, nothing less. When Intel's products are inferior in their corrsponding market positions, they can't be recommended.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_8700k_processor_review,28.html

Soldato
Why do you hope that I'm right? :confused: That's against your interest to have a decent system without a need to upgrade as long as possible.

The i7-8700K is an okeyish configuration but lags behind the optimal choice.
I only want to help you to buy the best for your money. Nothing more, nothing less. When Intel's products are inferior in their corrsponding market positions, they can't be recommended.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_8700k_processor_review,28.html

Value for money doesn't always mean it is the best choice. The i7 8700K is a good choice for a gaming pc if that is what the op wants.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-review/

Soldato
^^^^ that chart has now been replace- i5 8400 and i3 8100 are by far the most cost effective CPU - but is seriously hampered currently with z370 mobo's till next year

@Fanaticjam seen from a distributor i use- expecting i7 K in tomorrow - hopefully this might stem news for OCUK- whether they get them directly from larger Global distribution or can get one locally

Associate
OP
^^^^ that chart has now been replace- i5 8400 and i3 8100 are by far the most cost effective CPU - but is seriously hampered currently with z370 mobo's till next year

@Fanaticjam seen from a distributor i use- expecting i7 K in tomorrow - hopefully this might stem news for OCUK- whether they get them directly from larger Global distribution or can get one locally

Do you know if they got it in?

Soldato
Do you know if they got it in?

not looking good- can see on Binned 8700K thread on the CPU section ETA in December !
i dont think OCUK gets it from there- but in theory they could use smaller distributors like them as well to get numbers - but hopefully being such a larger reseller they'll find a way easily before December

Associate
OP
not looking good- can see on Binned 8700K thread on the CPU section ETA in December !
i dont think OCUK gets it from there- but in theory they could use smaller distributors like them as well to get numbers - but hopefully being such a larger reseller they'll find a way easily before December

Hmm, can't see that, guess I'm being blind!

I just noticed hovering over the Pre order icon says it's ETA is tomorrow though.
d2bf1cb9574e18f374c020870590c090.png

Soldato
Hmm, can't see that, guess I'm being blind!

I just noticed hovering over the Pre order icon says it's ETA is tomorrow though.

thats good, i was stating from a distributor - different to reseller :) not sure where OCUKget theres but sure its from a much larger source :)

have you already pre-ordered ? most likely will be a list up

Associate
OP
thats good, i was stating from a distributor - different to reseller :) not sure where OCUKget theres but sure its from a much larger source :)

have you already pre-ordered ? most likely will be a list up

Ordered last friday, but thinking of cancelling the order unless there's a reasonable ETA soon. If it's not going to arrive till december I'll just wait till January or so

E: and yeah, I realised you were talking about a 3rd party, just interesting to see if anyone is getting stock soon!

Associate
OP
5419d50822008ab11c58180df9912318.png

So after a few snaggles with GPU/PSU it's all arrived. Probably going to build over sunday + overclock/benchmark monday unless something comes up!

The noctua box is HUUUUUUUGE good lord.

Back
Top Bottom