• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Amd Zen4 official review thread

Associate
75c is 75c it doesn't matter how many watts it is
The match analogy is correct. If a Zen 4 CPU and Intel CPU both consume 250watts, they will heat the environment up the same. The Zen 4 CPU will have a smaller CPU die to spread that wattage across hence this perception that it's 'hotter'. The fact Zen4 does more work for this power draw means it's more efficient.

Last edited:
Associate
75c is 75c it doesn't matter how many watts it is
Basic physics disagrees with you.

High temperatures can be a cooling issue regardless of whether the chip is consuming 5W or 250W.
Look at the fanless 5W TDP laptop designs that are thermally throttled, whereas a 250W chip that is well cooled is not throttled.

A high power consumption chip is putting out a lot of heat regardless of the temperature of the chip.
The heat which is energy, doesn't magically disappear because the temperature is lower.
It just means that it has been dispersed from the chip more efficiently.

Soldato
Just looking at the cross section of reviews, and it looks like the 13900K will be DOA vs 7950x for new builds, unless something magical happens to make the E-cores do a lot more work.

Another point being that the i9 will be the pinnacle of that socket and is now EOL, vs the AM5 being the first and therefore the slowest you could possibly get, but may have 3 more generations left to go.

Lower down the stack is going to be a hard choice for new builds, with parts trading blows across different scenarios. The only saving grace being the cheap B660/DDR4 if you want a short term solution, with no where to go but sideways.

Associate
^ You do know that the 13900K will have double the E cores of its predecessor? Expect the two will be very close in absolute performance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just looking at the cross section of reviews, and it looks like the 13900K will be DOA vs 7950x for new builds, unless something magical happens to make the E-cores do a lot more work.

Another point being that the i9 will be the pinnacle of that socket and is now EOL, vs the AM5 being the first and therefore the slowest you could possibly get, but may have 3 more generations left to go.

Lower down the stack is going to be a hard choice for new builds, with parts trading blows across different scenarios. The only saving grace being the cheap B660/DDR4 if you want a short term solution, with no where to go but sideways.
Alderlake beats it in most games as far as I can see and for $2.5 less per frame

7950x is barely even better than a 12700k in gaming

Last edited:
Soldato
7950X is outselling the others by a considerable margin, over 100 sold already, because yep these top-end CPU's are also great for none gaming stuff too. :)

As I would imagine, people buying day one tend to want the best-of-the-best, not the best of the rest. These top end CPU's are best for non-gaming, that you for confirming the point I was making.

Back
Top Bottom