OCUK Bug fans, could you tell me what this is please?

Transmission breaker
Don
lol, just remove it mate. The wasp does not return after the nest is completed. Young leave when they are mature and break out.

Its going to be empty, or have a couple of un-hatched dead larvea in there. (along with a few dead spiders which the wasp stings and lobs in as food for the larvea.

Soldato
Malt_Vinegar said:
lol, just remove it mate. The wasp does not return after the nest is completed. Young leave when they are mature and break out.

Its going to be empty, or have a couple of un-hatched dead larvea in there. (along with a few dead spiders which the wasp stings and lobs in as food for the larvea.

Quite concerning when you wonder where they all went and where you were at the time!

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you to identify it. I've only lived here a month, so It was probably abandoned before I moved in, I've certainly never noticed any crazy looking mud wasps flying around.

I'll give it a poke with a stick later on, see if anything happens. I don't think they have anything similar to the council pest control guys you would get back in England out here, and I'll be damned if I'm calling out professional exterminators for a probably empty wasps nest. :)

Soldato
I have some creative labs speakers, and 7.1 version, and if you look at the back of the speaker there is a little hole, looks a bit like a keyhole. Now keep in mind i live in the countryside, and last summer i left my window open every night, with my light on, resulting in me having hunreds of bugs in my room every night. Months and months ago i noticed a sandy mud on the back of my speaker by my window, for some reason i left it, and didn't think about it again.

Anyway, a few days ago i was cleaning my room, moving my speakers, and noticed some mud around this little keyhole in the back of my speaker again. The little mud balls, created to make one big mud thing, were about 1/2mm if that. Then i decided to poke the sandy mud out, i kept doing this until i saw something yellow. I poked a bit more, only to find some sort of maggot in there, it was quite yellow and roughly 1cm long, it was still alive, FROM SUMMER! I poked around a bit more and found something dead in there, now to this day i still don't know what it was, but it has been sucked dry by this maggot, and all that was left was the skin of this thing that had died in there.

There isn't any more space to get anything else out from my speaker, or allow anything else to live in there, but to this day i am still baffled as to what this maggot type thing was, and what the hell it was feeding on, and more importantly what put it there!!

Thought i'd share my disgusting story on this disgusting thread, KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Soldato
killwithfire.jpg

Permabanned
Moredhel said:
I was looking around my room today with an eye for redecoration, and tucked away under the wooden things the curtain rails are attached to is this scary looking structure:
wtfisthat.jpg

I've been googling around trying to play insect through the keyhole (just what lives in a house like this) and I'm stumped. People on IRC said it looked like a wasps nest, but it doesn't look like paper to me, nor does it look like any of the wasps nests on google. It looks like some kind of excreted stuff that's hardened, almost like a termite mound thing. I'm loathe to touch it in case some kind of alien vampire zombie insect jumps out and eats my brain, so some reassurance as to what it is would go a long way.

Over to you guys. :)

Should have got a pube, and placed it next to it so we could have seen how big it was ;)

*wonders who remembers that thread* :D

Soldato
Spacky said:
Should have got a pube, and placed it next to it so we could have seen how big it was ;)

*wonders who remembers that thread* :D

me lol

to OP stick a clear box over it and then poke it with a stick and see what come out

Back
Top Bottom