OCUK BUILD LOG -ULTIMA PLESIOSAUR

Soldato
UD7 can do triple crossfire/SLI at X16/x8/x8 speeds, and dual crossfire/SLI at x16/x16 speeds (not that theres any difference between x16 and x8 with todays graphics cards). the only Z68 motherboards that can do thart from OcUK are the UD7 and the asus maximus 4 extreme.

unfortunatly, OcUK have chosen the UD7, which cant do the intel smartresponse or lucid virtu :(

bru

bru

Soldato
Surprise they had phoned me ask me why did I cancel my pre-order and I had explained to them that I felt 5GHz is not guarantee overclocked and they had sent me via my email of their proof of 5GHz was stable (on air cooler but say it will be 65C on water cooling) here:

They are very disappointed now as they think I made a mistake not to take it.

all that power and only 4 GB of ram... :confused:

Soldato
if your just using two cards in SLI, and your only overclocking to 4.6Ghz, why not use a lower end motherboard? there would be no problems with the overclock, as some bundles with lower end motherboards and cooling have 4.6Ghz overclocks, it would be cheaper, it would allow people to use lucid virtu and intel smartresponse, and it would give the graphics cards more breathing room.

not sure this build was thought through very well :(

Soldato
I put together a system for a guy at uni, had a 2600k and P8P67 Pro motherboard.

That overclocked to 5Ghz no problem with very reasonable temps on air. I think the UD7 is a bit unnecessary but there we go!

Personally I'd like to see 2600k, watercooled graphics cards and a cpu left to air as there really isnt the need for watercooling on the sandybridge cpu's.

Soldato
I was expecting to see the GPUs under water as well, but I guess it's not practical in that case.
Seems a bit odd to me though, watercooling the CPU but leaving 2 580 air cooled. surely they're going to be the nosiest parts of the PC whether you use custom water, high-end air or possibly even the Corsair H100? Especially considering they are reference design blowers, which I understand are good because of the rear exhaust design, but they're not the quietest type of cooler are they?

For that matter, my understanding is the the Black Ice GT Stealth will require quite high rpm (and static pressure?) fan to cool effectively. Wont that also impact on the silence? Is there really any need for the watercooling in this loop if it's not going to provide lower noise? Surely it's just added complication and bumps the price up? I didn't think SB chips were generally limited by temps as much as some chips anyway?

I'm trying to think of something posative to say to end this post...
Currently I've come up with: I like the colour of the case. :)

Soldato
OP
I was expecting to see the GPUs under water as well, but I guess it's not practical in that case.
Seems a bit odd to me though, watercooling the CPU but leaving 2 580 air cooled. surely they're going to be the nosiest parts of the PC whether you use custom water, high-end air or possibly even the Corsair H100? Especially considering they are reference design blowers, which I understand are good because of the rear exhaust design, but they're not the quietest type of cooler are they?

For that matter, my understanding is the the Black Ice GT Stealth will require quite high rpm (and static pressure?) fan to cool effectively. Wont that also impact on the silence? Is there really any need for the watercooling in this loop if it's not going to provide lower noise? Surely it's just added complication and bumps the price up? I didn't think SB chips were generally limited by temps as much as some chips anyway?

I'm trying to think of something posative to say to end this post...
Currently I've come up with: I like the colour of the case. :)

The Stealth GT radiators are desgined for low RPM fans, hence the name "stealth".

Watercooling both GPU's would never happen in this case without serious compromises in cooling capability. Having the CPU under water allows a lower overall system temperature.

Back
Top Bottom