OcUK Christmas Cooking Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
it's hardly a concession to say chicken/vegetarian/vegan alternative, is it?
If you're going to create an option for one minority you should create an option for all minorities

I don't see what being Muslim has to do with it, either?
Pork

maybe it should be the OcUK Carnivore Cookery Competition. then vegetarians won't want to enter
Why should vegetarians be given preference over vegans or Fruitarians or any other group who have specific dietary requirements? Either you say 'all food may be included at some point in the competition' or the competition becomes how best to mix lentils with water.

I hate jelly, but if a round was to include it I'd have to get on with it or choose not to enter the round - it's that simple.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
How many rounds can we expect?
Just thinking how much this will all add up in ingredients ;)
TBH, it's more for the fun rather than the prize!

Goodluck to whoever enters.

Depends on how well this goes. It's unlikely there will be future prizes, it'll most likely be just for fun, but with Christmas coming up, Spie is being very generous :)

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
it's hardly a concession to say chicken/vegetarian/vegan alternative, is it? I don't see what being Muslim has to do with it, either?

maybe it should be the OcUK Carnivore Cookery Competition. then vegetarians won't want to enter

We are currently discussing this and may make a consession. We'll get back to you on this.

Burnsy

Permabanned
You do have to list the quantities of ingredients you used in the the recipe. Points will be deducted if people do what you suggest.

Burnsy

Ok, so 1 gram of squash would be wrong, but 1kg would be OK?

Where is the cutoff point? 5 grams? 10 grams, 50 grams 500 grams?

Man of Honour
OP
Ok, so 1 gram of squash would be wrong, but 1kg would be OK?

Where is the cutoff point? 5 grams? 10 grams, 50 grams 500 grams?

Although the amount is at your discretion, think about whether it positively contributes to the texture or the flavour of the dish as a whole. If not your not adding enough.

Think about the spirit of the rules rather then looking for loopholes ;)

Burnsy

Sic

Sic

Soldato
If you're going to create an option for one minority you should create an option for all minorities
my suggestion isn't creating an option, though - it's altering the original option
see where you're coming from now :o

Why should vegetarians be given preference over vegans or Fruitarians or any other group who have specific dietary requirements? Either you say 'all food may be included at some point in the competition' or the competition becomes how best to mix lentils with water.
if my suggestion was made, then vegan alternatives to dairy products could, quite easily be substituted (vegan goats cheese exists, etc). Can't really comment on fruitarians because I don't know enough about the restrictions on their diets. from what I've [briefly] read - it seems that there's not a great deal of cooking involved anyway - so a cookery competition probably would appeal. that's not exactly very objective, though.

edit: it seems that part of fruitarianism actually denotes that you don't cook things, so my point stands and is objective.

I hate jelly, but if a round was to include it I'd have to get on with it or choose not to enter the round - it's that simple.
your problem with jelly is down to personal preference, not your beliefs. if there was a round that enforced the usage of mushrooms, I wouldn't enter because I hate them. The difference here is being excluded because of beliefs rather than a personal distaste for a particular food [/group]

Man of Honour
OP
I have added the vegetarian alternative of quorn. I hate the stuff, but it can be used in a similar way to chicken and has a similar texture.

The original decision of having meat is for several reasons: texture, flavour and nutritional content. It made sense at the time but we don't want to ignore a significant minority.

We put a lot of time in thinking this through but obviously we can't think of everything.

Burnsy

Sic

Sic

Soldato
I have added the vegetarian alternative of quorn. I hate the stuff, but it can be used in a similar way to chicken and has a similar texture.

The original decision of having meat is for several reasons: texture, flavour and nutritional content. It made sense at the time but we don't want to ignore a significant minority.

We put a lot of time in thinking this through but obviously we can't think of everything.

Burnsy

thank you :)

whilst I agree that meat and quorn differ in many ways - the competition isn't being judged on flavour, texture or nutritional content (originality, creativity, difficulty and presentation), so this inclusion hopefully won't impose too much.

thanks again

Man of Honour
OP
thank you :)

whilst I agree that meat and quorn differ in many ways - the competition isn't being judged on flavour, texture or nutritional content (originality, creativity, difficulty and presentation), so this inclusion hopefully won't impose too much.

thanks again

The final three will be cooked by the judges and flavour and texture will be judged and marked on. I'm sorry if this is a problem, but we're not willing to discriminate against the majority.

Brunsy

Soldato
Those sound like good ingredients for one big pasty to me!!

<<removed other idea after reading first post properly :p>>

This won't be an official entry as I don't have the time at the moment, but I'll be keeping an eye out for future comps!

PK!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Opps we did seem to forget the closing date. (sorted now)

The reason you must include all ingredients, is so you don't just make a cheese and onion tart. There's no originality in that. Forcing people to use ingredients makes them think outside the box. This is hopefully the first of many. But we will see how it goes. In future rounds we may change things, from what we learn.

And a BIG thank you to spie for the very generous prize fund.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One question to the judges: How are you going to judge the final pictures? I'm a **** photographer, and if I take a picture that doesn't do my dish justice is it going to cost me points?

Deleted member 64478

D

Deleted member 64478

What a competition, seems a great idea. Get the photos coming in.

Man of Honour
OP
One question to the judges: How are you going to judge the final pictures? I'm a **** photographer, and if I take a picture that doesn't do my dish justice is it going to cost me points?

Like AcidHell said, it's judged via a poll and hopefully your creativity and and originality will offset your poor photography skills :)

Burnsy

Associate
Sounds awesome I'm definitely gonna enter. :)

Kinda funny though a cooking competition not judged on taste... :D

Edit: Missed this part:
Once a shortlist has been decided, the three most popular dishes will be cooked by a panel of judges. The judges will mark on the criteria above as well as taste, flavour combinations and texture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom