-----*************OcUK Community Server Donations Thread*************-----

Hi all,

There are quite a few community servers running for various games, branded as OcUK though these are not run by Overclockers themselves, they are run by members of the community and cost time and money to keep them running smoothly. Note that I am usually quite quick at fixing problems with the servers and that does take up quite a bit of my time.

This thread is for those server admins to be able to post links to where you can donate. Remember this is outside OcUK's control so be wary when you do this. I also would not recommend sending money to anyone with a low post count who is not usually an active contributer to the community.

I have two different places that you can donate to as I currently joint-run a dedicated server with Frenchtart and I also have a few servers that I run solo via Gameservers:

LinkTart (N/A)
Link to Insanity (Gameservers) (N/A)

I and the other server admins appreciate any donations given and most people who frequently donate will be given admin access on the servers (on the l4d servers this means they also gain kick immunity from non-admins, useful on the public servers). Of course, being an admin also means you have to be mature, any kicking due to the fact you are losing or doing anything else that ruins the game for others will result in being stripped of admin rights permanently.

Thanks again to anyone who donates. Those that don't are still free to use the servers as they have been doing so before. For a full server list please go to the Community server list sticky or view the OcUK steam group page: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/OcUK

Also please note that all money donated WILL be used to run OcUK game servers, this is entirely a no-profit organisation. Thanks again and please continue to enjoy the servers. :)

UPDATE (as of 27/01/2015)

Just realised this post is still actively linked to in my signature. I have removed all links as these severs are no longer running. Thank you for any past contributions, but they are currently not required, at least until L4D3 is released. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll also contribute now ($20 as I couldn't see how to donate in Sterling but maybe I'm blind) and when I can.

However, not to put a damper on things as I believe both yourself and Aekeron are good people, it would be nice to see maybe a monthly quota, and how much of that is currently met, which takes into account the total operating cost of all the servers that are currently running so that we can all see the effect our contributions are having. Mainly this would be done so that there wouldn't be a situation where there's enough money to pay for the servers for the next decade and still people are dontating or that maybe the money wouldn't be spread evenly among the servers. I don't know how viable or applicable something like this might be and I also understand that the contributions are completely voluntary but it could be worth considering.

Man of Honour
I'll also contribute now ($20 as I couldn't see how to donate in Sterling but maybe I'm blind) and when I can.

However, not to put a damper on things as I believe both yourself and Aekeron are good people, it would be nice to see maybe a monthly quota, and how much of that is currently met, which takes into account the total operating cost of all the servers that are currently running so that we can all see the effect our contributions are having. Mainly this would be done so that there wouldn't be a situation where there's enough money to pay for the servers for the next decade and still people are dontating or that maybe the money wouldn't be spread evenly among the servers. I don't know how viable or applicable something like this might be and I also understand that the contributions are completely voluntary but it could be worth considering.

I agree with you - something like this would be great.

I plan on knocking together something exactly like that on the linktart site soon. I should have some in the next week or so for development with luck.

Soldato

I'll be donating as well as I love your work on the L4D servers but agree with the points Antar has made above.

Associate
I'll chuck you a pm, as I would like to contribute.

But I would rather know where you would like the money directed, to the clanpay system or to your paypal. As Antar says, you could get a massive interest in the clanpay server and it be paid for for months.. but the other servers not getting any help.

Yeh at the moment the clanpay still has $100 odd that I paid in before I lost may job (+ the contributions). I can set it to show how much is in that account if people would like me to? With the linktart dedi I'm sure Aekeron can probably rustle something up. Will talk to him about it as you do raise a good point Antar. :)

Also, if there is a lot of cash in the gameservers account I can set up another L4D2 server with it and then maybe later a BFBC2 one if people are interested? The credit would be put to good use, don't you worry. ;)

The Left 4 Dead servers are roughly £10 a month, with the L4D2 servers being nearly double that. Obviosuly if there is enough money in the account I'll add another L4D2 server after it has been released. Also feel free to suggest game servers that you would like to see running. :)

As Aekeron says in another thread the dedis are about £50-£60 per month split between the two of us.

But I would rather know where you would like the money directed, to the clanpay system or to your paypal. As Antar says, you could get a massive interest in the clanpay server and it be paid for for months.. but the other servers not getting any help.

It would be good if you are unsure to just pm me and get my paypal account as then i can pay it into whichever server needs it when the bill comes up.

I will probably enable the option for the clanpay to tell you how much credit is in there though so you can see if the account needs it or not.
And where would that L4DAA cash go to Cat? Your alcoholic beverages? :D

Thanks to you all for your donations so far. I have preordered a second L4D2 server as I feel that the funds are now there to be able to run 2 + the l4d1 server on there. If you object of course let me know and I will cancel it. :)

I'll be donating something after payday this money (19th) although the above got my wondering. Why are the servers more expensive for L4D2 than L4D1? As its using the same engine and same player count?

Higher infected count, gibbing, more work made with some of the special infected special attacks...

Generally it puts a little more work on the servers, though I reckon after a few months the prices may drop a bit. We'll see however.

Associate
There is a rumour that the l4d maps and chars will be included in #2, so that people do not have to log out of #2 and in to #1 to play their old favourite campaigns.
If/when this does become the case, would all of the existing l4d1 servers be upped to l4d2 servers?

And sorry for the delay about contacting you about donating, been trying to get a block removed from my card

Back
Top Bottom