OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Well so far id say no, hoping number two goes okay.
I know it's my opinion that's why I said it, lol. Strong reason though if number one had been a home birth he'd be dead. But even before that why increase the risk of help bring so far away if something goes wrong.
So home births are not stupid, they're just not applicable to some situations. There is no increased safety risk compared to a hospital birth.

Soldato
So home births are not stupid, they're just not applicable to some situations. There is no increased safety risk compared to a hospital birth.
But unless you could see into the future you wouldn't know the situation surely. No increased safety risk, okay.
I'm guessing this is one of those things where I'm wrong because my opinion differs from the majority.

Soldato
But unless you could see into the future you wouldn't know the situation surely. No increased safety risk, okay.
I'm guessing this is one of those things where I'm wrong because my opinion differs from the majority.

No, you're wrong because you're spreading misinformation. Stop being a flannel.

If they were so dangerous, midwives wouldn't conduct them.

Soldato

I'm with you. Home birth is more risky. There's lots of things that can go wrong, and being in a hospital means more access to methods to fix that. I'd be dead if I'd have been a home birth, because I ended up being an emergency c-section.

I mean, there's no more chance that a home birth will require an emergency action, sure, so I guess they're no more risky in that sense. It's just if something does go wrong, you're usually in a lot more trouble. Even the simple things, like stitching up after any tearing, I'd rather have a professional doing that. Even if he does appear to have 25% of his skull missing (amazing story, especially that he was able to return to surgery).

For 2nd births and later, which tend to be a lot easier and smoother, then perhaps, but even then, unless there's a good reason to avoid the hospital (and with covid cases as they are now, I don't believe there is, a few months ago, perhaps I'd be thinking differently), why wouldn't you go?

Soldato
If you read up on the matter, home births are no more risky. The midwives are the gurus on childbirth and safety of the baby and mum. They usually know well in advance if hospitalisation is needed. A doctor is only required if things go wrong, like in your cases it did. Like I said, if home births were of any increased risk to a child then midwives wouldn't conduct them.

Soldato
If you read up on the matter, home births are no more risky. The midwives are the gurus on childbirth and safety of the baby and mum. They usually know well in advance if hospitalisation is needed. A doctor is only required if things go wrong, like in your cases it did. Like I said, if home births were of any increased risk to a child then midwives wouldn't conduct them.

One main issue I have with it, is it restricts a midwife to a single patient for a long duration, normally that midwife only needs to be present constantly for an individual during the birth, not all the buildup.

Next, from the NHS site:

The researchers then looked only at women who were going through their first pregnancy. They found that women having their first birth at home had a greater chance of complications leading to injury in the child than women who had planned to go to an obstetric unit in a hospital. This risk was almost doubled (odds ratio [OR] 1.75, 95% CI 1.07 to 2.86).

Furthermore, when the sample was restricted to women who had no complicating conditions at the start of labour, there was almost a three-times greater risk for women with planned home births than for women having planned hospital births (OR 2.80, 95% CI 1.59 to 4.92). There was no difference in the rates of such complications in either type of midwife-led unit compared with hospital units.

EDIT - Furthermore, if there is a complication at home, it likely then means an ambulance is needed, taking further resources.

Soldato
One main issue I have with it, is it restricts a midwife to a single patient for a long duration, normally that midwife only needs to be present constantly for an individual during the birth, not all the buildup.

Not if it's a private or on call midwife.

EDIT - Furthermore, if there is a complication at home, it likely then means an ambulance is needed, taking further resources.

So taking up hospital beds, time, resources, money and overheads is better than running a miniscule chance of requiring an ambulance?

Soldato
Not if it's a private or on call midwife.

So taking up hospital beds, time, resources, money and overheads is better than running a miniscule chance of requiring an ambulance?
Quite funny how you've accused @robj20 of 'spreading misinformation' and 'being a flannel' (whatever that means), then when good evidence is provided to contradict your uncited assertion that there is no increased risk with home births, you ignore it completely.

Caporegime

Not true at all, the risk of hypoxic brain injury is around 8 times iirc in some studies. Even in UK only studies risk of complications is markedly increased, especially in first time Mums.

Soldato
No, you're wrong because you're spreading misinformation. Stop being a flannel.

If they were so dangerous, midwives wouldn't conduct them.
Flannel, why the name calling? What misinformation, its my opinion backed up by facts. The fact my son would be dead if we had a home birth. Guess its one more person to add to my blocked list.

Back to topic.
George is now in Nursery on Fridays each week, he appears to be enjoying it, the nursery are brilliant and gave him a diary where they track everything for us, dirty nappies, food he eats, fluid intake, they take plenty of photos for us. Really put us at ease.
We have had a form from his key worker to allow the nursery and all his medical people to talk directly without going through us, so that takes a burden off as well.

And shocking were to start looking at schools already.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite funny how you've accused @robj20 of 'spreading misinformation' and 'being a flannel' (whatever that means), then when good evidence is provided to contradict your uncited assertion that there is no increased risk with home births, you ignore it completely.
He's a flannel because he bit "oh my opinion is wrong" etc. Read the evidence on the NHS website. Process it, come back to me.

The overall rate of negative outcomes (a composite of outcomes of death or serious complications) was 4.3 per 1000 births (95% confidence interval [CI] 3.3 to 5.5) and there was no difference between non-obstetric unit settings compared with obstetric units. This indicates that as a whole, home births are as safe as ones in medical settings

See, I can quote select pieces of evidence that back my stance too.

Soldato
Not true at all, the risk of hypoxic brain injury is around 8 times iirc in some studies. Even in UK only studies risk of complications is markedly increased, especially in first time Mums.
Its an odd one, there is a significant increased risk but for some reason midwives don't seem to take proper consent or mention it in many cases.
If true, then I'd imagine there'd be some huge law suits.

Soldato
He's a flannel because he bit "oh my opinion is wrong" etc. Read the evidence on the NHS website. Process it, come back to me.

And then you keep reading, and it clearly states first time mothers are more risky. My quote included that it was referring to first time mothers, no attempt to disguise it.

Soldato

I'm aware of the numbers, and the overall risks, so I don't need to process anything.

I'm know that the added actual risk of a home birth is very low, I was more objecting to you sounding like a bit of a **** really.

Soldato
I'm aware of the numbers, and the overall risks, so I don't need to process anything.

I'm know that the added actual risk of a home birth is very low, I was more objecting to you sounding like a bit of a **** really.

So you agree with me that home births aren't "stupid" and don't pose any greater risk?

Didn't realise this was actual mumsnet did you? :D

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
We ended up with a home birth, not by choice (it was the one place we'd always said we didn't want to have it!) but by circumstance.

Things ended up escalating/progressing far too quickly to the point where we couldn't get to a hospital or birth centre.

Midwives turned up about an hour before baby was born, ended up with three in the house (plus two ambulances and 4 paramedics afterwards, but that's another story..).

Wife did it with no pain relief, not even gas and air, jesus.

Thing the midwives always told us is births go a lot better when people are relaxed, and the reason why home births can be very good is that people are more relaxed at home.

We'd said we didn't want one as due to our age and increased risk we wanted to be ideally at the birth centre, or possibly hospital, but just didn't end up going that way.

Soldato
And then you keep reading, and it clearly states first time mothers are more risky. My quote included that it was referring to first time mothers, no attempt to disguise it.
Yet we were talking about home births in general, but you decided to hone in on one specific detail. It isn't explained how those stats are even derived though? I'd be interested to know more detail.

Back
Top Bottom