OcUK Dadsnet thread

Man of Honour
Well er... yeah it's my opinion, I'm typing this? :confused:

It's nice how you infer that those that don't find it hard work don't love their children.

Also, every child, and parent experience is different, or do you grow clones and condition them at birth? ;)

Soldato
*Such* hard work, clearly it's not a gulag caring for children you wanted, it's very rewarding. It's ridiculous a mother with a baby on maternity can't cook for her husband/other children and keep the house clean. Mrs Tosno done all that and learnt to drive in a foreign (to her) country, becoming the only female in her family that can drive. Those who want do, those who don't make excuses

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I would struggle, so huge respect to you for that!

It was not easy but i loved it.

Nearly lost my daughter when she was about 14 months old as she swallowed a ten pence piece while i was changing her nappie! It got stuck in her throat and i thought i was losing her! I tried everything and then, i stuck my finger down her throat and managed to flick the ruddy coin out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in tears!!!! Total shock! That was the worst thing ever.

But, we have built up a superb bond!

Soldato
Nightmare stuff, makes me want to go check on my boy!!

We've another on the way for August, my boy will be 2.5 by then so not a bad gap, not looking forward to the first 3 months of mentalness but also can't wait!

Soldato
Nightmare stuff, makes me want to go check on my boy!!

We've another on the way for August, my boy will be 2.5 by then so not a bad gap, not looking forward to the first 3 months of mentalness but also can't wait!

Not every child is the same. Our daughter was a joy as a baby. Ok, we had the times of crying etc but what wonderful times!! It was truly amazing. She depended on us 100%. What a massive amount of pressure!

Enjoy every minute. They soon grow up. Our girl is nearly 11 and she is AWESOME. She knows about the problems Mummy and Daddy are going through and she is just superb. We both live for her. She is 'our' life

Soldato
Our daughter is one and has started to be clingy. It's hard work trying to make her sleep in her cot! If we're lucky, we can put her down after she drifts off on us. Most of the time though as soon as she's being lowered, she knows and wakes up. This is one alarm clock I'd love to hit the snooze button on :p

Love waking up to see her face though :D

Soldato
Our daughter is one and has started to be clingy. It's hard work trying to make her sleep in her cot! If we're lucky, we can put her down after she drifts off on us. Most of the time though as soon as she's being lowered, she knows and wakes up. This is one alarm clock I'd love to hit the snooze button on :p

Love waking up to see her face though :D

My daughter went through a very clingy stage but can't remember the age, in the end, controlled crying was the only way we could get her to sleep.

My son is 2 in just under 2 weeks, never had an issue with him. He woke up at 1:30am the other morning, he was back in bed asleep by 1:40am. It's rare that he even wakes up.

Soldato
Not every child is the same. Our daughter was a joy as a baby. Ok, we had the times of crying etc but what wonderful times!! It was truly amazing. She depended on us 100%. What a massive amount of pressure!

Enjoy every minute. They soon grow up. Our girl is nearly 11 and she is AWESOME. She knows about the problems Mummy and Daddy are going through and she is just superb. We both live for her. She is 'our' life

My daughter was a night baby, I'd get home at 1am ish and she's be awake, I'd get her to sleep between 4-6am, head to bed then my wife would get up between 8-10am and take over.

Forde, my son, as i said above, was sleeping through from a very early age, absolute dream.

Soldato
After my lads climbing adventures, he has sort of settled down a bit now. We let him climb on his little dinner table, but tell him to be careful and teach him what not to do when on there, like stand up etc. He still opens his drawers and climbs in them but not as much. We check on him when he goes quiet in his room to see what he is doing if he is on/in the drawers we show him how to get out. He is certainly in his 'terrible twos' right now but he is showing more and more intelligence in what he does or wants to do. He still can't talk to us properly but is about 90% its just those last few pronunciations to get and hes there. He knows what he is saying but frustrating for us not knowing actually what he is saying :)

The last two years have been amazing, from the first time at 8/10 weeks in his own cot in his own room. We were lucky he slept all night from 8 weeks. That's when we started to put him in his own room. We took the cot sides down when he was 16 months old. Had to have a bucket load of trust in him when in bed at night but he only 'fell' out twice. Had his own toddler bed at 20 months. All being well we are getting a full size single bed next few weeks for him.

He is progressing at Playgroup too. Always having something good told to us from the people there.

The only thing I have an issue with is he is a very active lad and not so much into arts and crafts side of thing. He has a short attention span with that sort of thing but he is slowly getting there. He loves cars, dinosaurs and bricks to build. progressing well using a spoon and fork to eat with. He starts of fine then once our backs are turned he will use his hands lol. He will get there.

Soldato
I elected to be a stay at home dad and started looking after our daughter when she was 5 months old as my wife wanted to go back to her career. I loved every min of it! We have a fantastic bond now (she is nearly 11 years old). I changed more nappies than the wife did! lol

I'm envious. I was lucky enough to take three months of shared parental leave under the new rules. I was a bit apprehensive at first but ended up loving every moment. It's so nice to be able to take a kid to something like soft play when it's not overflowing with a million other kids. Weekends just aren't the same. I've definitely got a stronger bond with my son thanks to the time that I took off.

Associate
Hi all,

Just thought I would finally touch base on this thread, me and my misses had the arrival of our lovely first born on the 20th Feb, we had a girl :) She was four days early but this was the result of the Mrs having to be induced (three scares of reduced movement throughout the last three months of the pregnancy). However, she was born naturally and perfect in every way.

Up to now it has been one heck of a learning curve and each day is getting easier, to be honest I was a bit of a bag of nerves for the first couple of days with handling her and being extra careful (having never really held a baby for long periods of time, nor on a constant basis before). However, that feeling soon disappeared and I always get stuck in as much as I can, especially as the Mrs had to have a couple of stitches down below, so she's had to really take it easy. Being a parent really is great, tiring perhaps but the great feeling stands out from everything else! I first just wanted to touch base on something...

Like all new parents, we have had a few turbulent nights' sleep since our little one has arrived due to the usual feed / nappy changes etc. but we have noticed on average that usually three nights in the week - say at around 02:00AM ish to have a feed / nappy change, she will still be very active and alert when it comes to getting her to settle down & fall asleep again, to the point where she gets' herself worked up, frustrated & cries for some reason, to the point where it won't be until a good couple of hours later before she settles down again (and again, time for another feed & nappy change usually!), after another feed at say like 04:30AM, she'll pretty much crash out or failing that, the Mrs will end up taking her downstairs to at least allow me to catch up on sleep and she'll fall asleep on top of my Mrs on the downstairs sofa. We both feel that she could be going through what they call a "growth spurt" - especially as she is now feeding on a lot more milk as the days go by (bottle fed), but at the same time from what I have read, it could be too soon as she is still only 9 days old and usually growth spurt in most babies do not occur until they are at least 2-3 weeks old?

Another factor that my sister in law (who has two young kids) pointed out a few days ago is that she could be too used to her downstairs basket / bed where she usually sleeps during the day time when she crashes out. Originally when we first got her home from the hospital on the same day she was born, we tried to settle her at night in a separate bed which is attached to the site of our bed and this is where the above problem started and it was on a nightly basis just about - and as my sister in law suggested, move her daytime bed upstairs (luckily it fits snug in the side baby bed), and to be fair this did help but the problem still persists every couple of nights on average. We're just trying to alleviate the problem as much as possible so she can get into a proper routine, and especially as I am returning to work again next Monday. If any of you guys / girls could shed some advise on this then that would be great :)

Thanks all - Liam.

Don
She
Hi all,

Just thought I would finally touch base on this thread, me and my misses had the arrival of our lovely first born on the 20th Feb, we had a girl :) She was four days early but this was the result of the Mrs having to be induced (three scares of reduced movement throughout the last three months of the pregnancy). However, she was born naturally and perfect in every way.

Up to now it has been one heck of a learning curve and each day is getting easier, to be honest I was a bit of a bag of nerves for the first couple of days with handling her and being extra careful (having never really held a baby for long periods of time, nor on a constant basis before). However, that feeling soon disappeared and I always get stuck in as much as I can, especially as the Mrs had to have a couple of stitches down below, so she's had to really take it easy. Being a parent really is great, tiring perhaps but the great feeling stands out from everything else! I first just wanted to touch base on something...

Like all new parents, we have had a few turbulent nights' sleep since our little one has arrived due to the usual feed / nappy changes etc. but we have noticed on average that usually three nights in the week - say at around 02:00AM ish to have a feed / nappy change, she will still be very active and alert when it comes to getting her to settle down & fall asleep again, to the point where she gets' herself worked up, frustrated & cries for some reason, to the point where it won't be until a good couple of hours later before she settles down again (and again, time for another feed & nappy change usually!), after another feed at say like 04:30AM, she'll pretty much crash out or failing that, the Mrs will end up taking her downstairs to at least allow me to catch up on sleep and she'll fall asleep on top of my Mrs on the downstairs sofa. We both feel that she could be going through what they call a "growth spurt" - especially as she is now feeding on a lot more milk as the days go by (bottle fed), but at the same time from what I have read, it could be too soon as she is still only 9 days old and usually growth spurt in most babies do not occur until they are at least 2-3 weeks old?

Another factor that my sister in law (who has two young kids) pointed out a few days ago is that she could be too used to her downstairs basket / bed where she usually sleeps during the day time when she crashes out. Originally when we first got her home from the hospital on the same day she was born, we tried to settle her at night in a separate bed which is attached to the site of our bed and this is where the above problem started and it was on a nightly basis just about - and as my sister in law suggested, move her daytime bed upstairs (luckily it fits snug in the side baby bed), and to be fair this did help but the problem still persists every couple of nights on average. We're just trying to alleviate the problem as much as possible so she can get into a proper routine, and especially as I am returning to work again next Monday. If any of you guys / girls could shed some advise on this then that would be great :)

Thanks all - Liam.

She's only 9 days old, she's far too young to be managing a routine at the moment and definitely too young to recognise she's sleeping downstairs instead of up. Don't try and introduce a routine for several weeks / months, just do whatever she asks and whatever she needs to settle.

You're only on day 9, stop worrying about it - you have years and years of sleepness nights ahead of you

Soldato
My 5 year old is two days into chickenpox - I was surprised that the spots appear everywhere randomly; including lips, ears, under hair and even on other sensitive areas.

Soldato
My 5 year old is two days into chickenpox - I was surprised that the spots appear everywhere randomly; including lips, ears, under hair and even on other sensitive areas.

My 5 year old had her last scab fall off today, slight scar on nose and forehead but it's fresh, we shall see what happens.

Litte man turns 2 next week. He had 3 that disappeared after 4 days. A week later, covered. Ears, inside his mouth, round his bits, back, front, lips etc. Again, 5 days in and most have gone or are little scabs now but the nappy ones are not healing as quickly. Wife says he's like me, we heal very quickly from things.

Soldato
I did panic though. Worst experience of my life. I love my girl so much and the memory of that haunts me at times.

It's due to a similar thing with my daughter when she was 3, that made me get trained up in child first aid as well as advanced work related first aid. Scared me that I was unable to help her as I didn't know what to do. Thankfully, although this sounds mad, I had her upside down and whacking her shoulder blades to dislodge a malteaser...it worked. Now I would be much calmer and precise when dealing with any issues like this.

Soldato
OP
Hi all,

Thanks all - Liam.
Hi all,

Thanks all - Liam.

As has been said, at this point just give them what they need. It's the old checklist routine: hungry? Wet? Tired? Cuddles? If they get over tired it can be tricky because they get all worked up when they just need some sleep.

Eventually they settle a bit and it gets less crazy, and the longer you have them the better you know what it is they need. You'll suss it, just go with the flow.

Unrelated: my daughter got her first pair of shoes today now that she's walking around a bit, and now she walks like a cat with selotape on its feet. It's hilarious. Obviously a bit of getting used to it needs to happen!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom