OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
OP
I think that is the thing a lot of new parents don't realise, all kids are different. My little lad sleeps through and we can sleep in until 10 some days because he's happy as larry playing in his cot. What works for one family may not work for another, hell, one worked for my daughter doesn't always work for my son.

I always tell new parents as well, when you're rocking them and think it's time to put them down, ALWAYS wait another 10 minutes :D Nothing is worse than putting them down, turning away, reaching the door and hearing that cry... :D

Quoted for truth. We do the arm test: if you lift an arm and it flops back down we are good to go. If it stays up or grabs you then quietly retreat until she's asleep enough to get into her cot. That 3ft down into the cot is the longest yard.

Soldato
I
I think that is the thing a lot of new parents don't realise, all kids are different. My little lad sleeps through and we can sleep in until 10 some days because he's happy as larry playing in his cot. What works for one family may not work for another, hell, one worked for my daughter doesn't always work for my son.

I always tell new parents as well, when you're rocking them and think it's time to put them down, ALWAYS wait another 10 minutes :D Nothing is worse than putting them down, turning away, reaching the door and hearing that cry... :D
I'm jealous, my 3 year old wakes up at 6 pretty much every day so no lie in for me. I vaguely remember her sleeping in till 7 but that was over a year ago.

Soldato
I think it's time for me to join in this thread. Me and the Mrs are sat here impatiently waiting as she is 4 days overdue with our first child :D.

I'm now at the stage where I'm worrying about everything, mainly keeping a child alive and safe. I don't know if this feeling will ever leave now. I really can't wait to meet her.

We haven't really bought many baby gadgets as the sheer amount of people trying to give us stuff when their own kids are only 6 months old has made us realise they can't really be that useful.

Soldato
We haven't really bought many baby gadgets as the sheer amount of people trying to give us stuff when their own kids are only 6 months old has made us realise they can't really be that useful.

A lot of useful items are only useful for a short period of time and take up a lot of space. I can understand why people are trying to palm them off on you!

Soldato
OP
I think it's time for me to join in this thread. Me and the Mrs are sat here impatiently waiting as she is 4 days overdue with our first child :D.

I'm now at the stage where I'm worrying about everything, mainly keeping a child alive and safe. I don't know if this feeling will ever leave now. I really can't wait to meet her.

Once you have that kid for a few days the whole "OMG I am responsible for another human life" thing disappears. It's easier than you'd imagine, but more tiring.

Accept all gifts with open arms!

Soldato
For any new parents here, don't fall for the "YOU MUST HAVE THIS" bull that companies use to prey on your new parent worries. Second hand stuff is just fine eg steriliser, baby bath, etc.
By all means get new clothing and above all, stock up on baby wipes and muslin cloths. Job done. Enjoy baby....inbetween never sleeping again :p (from a dad of 1 year old twins and a 15 year old daughter)

Soldato
Let my sister look after our 1 year old this weekend. First time she's stayed away from us. She's got 3 kids herself, so it should be easy. Since she's become attached, I hope having this weekend away will help her let us leave the room without crying.

Soldato
I

I'm jealous, my 3 year old wakes up at 6 pretty much every day so no lie in for me. I vaguely remember her sleeping in till 7 but that was over a year ago.

My kids stay up late though. Our friends put there 4 and 5 year olds to bed at 6pm and wonder why they are up early which wasn't fun when we went away with them... :(

School nights, my daughters bedtime is 7:30pm, latest is 8pm. I like to see them after work. Little man goes to bed at the same time or slightly earlier. Both wake around 7:30-8am. Weekends, slightly later. She was spoilt last night, was up until 10pm watching a film in our bed while i worked on the PC next to her, although she woke me before 7am this morning normally that's an 9pm lie in for her.

Soldato
My wife had to go to A&E with our lad a bit ago. (on way back now, all is good). She was walking him home holding his hand as you do but he slipped or tripped and when he got up he was crying and in agony and wouldn't move his arm that his mum was holding. In a nutshell as he fell and mum holding his hand it pulled his elbow and in turn the elbow slipped out of place :eek:. At home he was ok, just crying when he tried to move it but was happy watching cartoons etc. The doctors put it back in place at A&E and back to normal. Mum said on phone he made a noise as they did it. Dread to think how loud that was :eek:, he a right set of lungs on him :p. Bless him.

Soldato
My kids stay up late though. Our friends put there 4 and 5 year olds to bed at 6pm and wonder why they are up early which wasn't fun when we went away with them... :(

School nights, my daughters bedtime is 7:30pm, latest is 8pm. I like to see them after work. Little man goes to bed at the same time or slightly earlier. Both wake around 7:30-8am. Weekends, slightly later. She was spoilt last night, was up until 10pm watching a film in our bed while i worked on the PC next to her, although she woke me before 7am this morning normally that's an 9pm lie in for her.
Her normal bedtime is about 7-7.30.

Soldato

My two year old went to bed at 11pm last night, got up at 02:30, back down at 05:00 and up at 09:30. That's pretty much how she rolls.

On a good night she'll go to sleep about 20:30 and rise at 06:00. But those nights are very rare.

Permabanned
Never realised this thread was a thing until just now.

As a father of a 2 week old little girl I will be watching this thread like a hawk now! It's the best feeling in the world and I loved her the second I laid eyes on her. She has her days and nights mixed up though so she sleeps all day but we have been making it as light as possible during the day and super dark and quiet at night. It's all-consuming and overwhelming but shes amazing and the wife and I have never felt closer. We tried for years and we were just about to go private after a few failed rounds of IVF on the NHS when she came along. Sorry to blabber on but I cant stop talking or thinking about her at the moment. Here's a picture because I'm one of *those dads!

Soldato
Congrats mate, keep persisting with the day night stuff. Our girl is now 4 months and the whole day night thing worked a treat. We used to leave the lights on over winter till around 10pm and now she has a solid sleep from 11pm - 7am which is an absolute godsend!

Associate
Congratulations mate, mine is now 13 weeks old.
I never thought I would ever be *one of those dads* but it really does make you a gushing wimp lol.

Everyday they seem to do something amazing and new.

Soldato
OP
Congrats, it really is pretty awesome so I get it! Cute little girl you have there.

We chose a nice pair of shoes for our girl and spent £30 because it was her first pair and we thought we might keep them to show her when she was older. Next day our dog chewed them to pieces (which he never does). We were fuming! Was funny watching her walking around like a cat with selotape on its feet though!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Thank you Devrij, I know everyone thinks that their child is the cutest but I think mine actually is! :D:p:p

Thank you guys. Shes just gone back to sleep so Im going to try and grab a bit sleep but shes just been laid on my legs while I play Horizon zero dawn anyways so I cant really complain about it. Was just saying to the wife that I should be a bit miffed about getting up at daft o clock to change her but when I see her little face I just melt. I was never a mans man but now I really am soft as muck!

I have to say though she is a really windy baby. Shes breast feeding and does not poo much but she farts all the time and they STINK! Tried a little infacol last night and its eased her a little but shes also got a little blocked nose so she gulps the milk down so hard she cant get her breath after wards which,in turn,is giving her more wind when shes gasping for air. Its all a massive learning curve but so so enjoyable.

I'm over the moon this thread is here as its nice to vent/talk to other dads about baby stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom