OcUK Dadsnet thread

Our daycare forgot to give us our son's dummy when picking him up yesterday. We only noticed when he asked for it at 6pm. We don't have a spare - and he managed OK without it. Asked for it a few times but got over it within 5 mins each time.

Told the misses, it's time to cut the dummy out of his life completely now and informed the daycare to try avoid giving it to him. He has had it longer than I'd like - but with moving countries, we've been a little lax on it. He is 2 and a half soon, so imho no more dummy.
It's as easy as just throwing them all on the bin to be honest. They soon forget about them.

Pay a sleep consultant
Not before trying it yourself for free. 2 out of our 3 are great sleepers. If you're having trouble then fine, but no need to go recommending one the day it's born.

Shouldn't bother with dummies at all imo. Didn't with either of our 2 and it was fine. I dread to think what they end up with on the dummies :p.

Don't think any of ours even know what a dummy is.

Last edited:
Oh right ok, so it's the only one available on the entire market?
It's the only JISA that doesn't charge fees I think.
As above, it's essentially "free" so unless another provider is paying you (unlikely), probably not worth shopping much further.

Not before trying it yourself for free. 2 out of our 3 are great sleepers. If you're having trouble then fine, but no need to go recommending one the day it's born.

66% out of 100 isn't exactly great numbers :D. The issue I have observed is a lot of my friends are still messing around now with sleep - their kids are 4/5 going to school but still require mum to co-sleep to get them to drift off. If it works for you, great, but no chance I would allow it to get to that stage.

Last edited:
It's the only JISA that doesn't charge fees I think.
Not a parent but my sister has been asking about JISAs (well "where should I put money for my son").
I'm not sure I want to suggest S&S just in case I get blamed for it going wrong. But I'll suggest this as an option.
Saved me making a post!

Last edited:
As above, it's essentially "free" so unless another provider is paying you (unlikely), probably not worth shopping much further.

66% out of 100 isn't exactly great numbers :D. The issue I have observed is a lot of my friends are still messing around now with sleep - their kids are 4/5 going to school but still require mum to co-sleep to get them to drift off. If it works for you, great, but no chance I would allow it to get to that stage.
Fully agree with tackling it earlier rather than later. Co-sleeping that old has got to have drawbacks beyond just parental anguish in my opinion. My 33% is because he shared a room with his older brother at the point when you'd do it/we lived with parents between house moves, so we just couldn't practically do sleep training. That, and he's at least part demon. Sleeping through did come naturally to him in the end by around 12 months, but he's never had as good of a relationship with sleep as his elder brother, who was sleep trained by the book.

Hand foot and mouth has really been doing the rounds lately! My little niece who is just pasted 1 year old, has just had it and she was screaming like crazy. It's terrifying!

We finally were approved our Tax-Free Childcare and free childcare benefits (As My wife and Son are both British and I'm not) it took a little longer as we had to send my Son's non UK passport and birth certificate to the Home Office. Which was scary, sending off original documents in the post - back in my home country if you did that, you'd never see them again.

Only thing is, we aren't able to use the free childcare hours, until Jan now. But I guess that's okay - daycare fees are very high at the moment and I hope we can bring that down a little, starting Jan.

Looks like we could use the Tax-Free Childcare, straight away once we add money into the account too.

Currently daycare costs use £1k a month - for a two year old (3 in May) - full day sessions, 5 days a week.

Not sure with the two above benefits if we will get it down that much - I believe we get 30hrs free, from when he is 3 - but not sure if that only kicks in from September next year or not.

Hand foot and mouth has really been doing the rounds lately! My little niece who is just pasted 1 year old, has just had it and she was screaming like crazy. It's terrifying!
I caught it the other week from our little one, they are 100% justified in screaming the place down. Very very unpleasant considering it's nothing particularly serious.

Oh boy, I had HFM last year and it was a real horrible experience!

Little round up

+ K Has absoloutely smashed potty training over the course of a weekend. I think we've had maybe 3 accidents over the last 3 weeks. She is so gassed to tell people she had a wee/poo in the potty. Loving having to only buy nappies for night time!

- We've apparently hit a bit of sleep regression so I guess some development is going on somewhere but I am shattered today!

Back
Top Bottom