OcUK Dadsnet thread

I learnt a trick very early on with our first (And only for now) is to "double up" his bedding. So we put a mattress protector on, then a sheet and then another mattress protector and another sheet. So it's layered.

When he used to wet the bed in the middle of the night; we'd just pull off the first two layers (one sheet and mattress protector) and put him back to bed and sort out the stuff later In the day / morning and go back to bed.
We do this. Another trick is to use "puppy pads" as some of the layers.

Yes. My wife :cry:

Mine is far too forgetful for such things. Then again, I'm worse.

Maybe it's a thing here in the UK. back in SA, we never did this and no one we knew did this - maybe it's due to people not going out as often. Something I noticed here is people are generally always out doing things and as a family we are starting to do more things - which has been great for mental and physical health.

Okay for some, but no good if you need to see the calendar while away from its location (although I suppose you could point a camera of some sort at it to make it viewable remotely).
Exactly why we use our phones. When I'm at my mum and dad's planning which set of grandparents can look after the kids it's fantastic.

My wife gave birth to our first child on Tuesday night. A surprise little girl for us.

The birth was fairly straight forward but the whole process really did put the magnificence of the female body in perspective and my utter admiration of her increased exponentially.

A long and rocky road ahead trying to figure out this parenting lark.

My wife gave birth to our first child on Tuesday night. A surprise little girl for us.

The birth was fairly straight forward but the whole process really did put the magnificence of the female body in perspective and my utter admiration of her increased exponentially.

Pay a sleep consultant

First full day at primary school for my daughter today. Shes going to be a handful tonight
How'd you get on? Mine has been a bit ropey in the immediate 30mins, but once shes got a plate of food down her, she is good as gold. She did 0840 till 1700 today - and absolutely loves the afterschool club. She thinks her friends who dont go are weirdos

Last edited:
Our daycare forgot to give us our son's dummy when picking him up yesterday. We only noticed when he asked for it at 6pm. We don't have a spare - and he managed OK without it. Asked for it a few times but got over it within 5 mins each time.

Told the misses, it's time to cut the dummy out of his life completely now and informed the daycare to try avoid giving it to him. He has had it longer than I'd like - but with moving countries, we've been a little lax on it. He is 2 and a half soon, so imho no more dummy.

How'd you get on? Mine has been a bit ropey in the immediate 30mins, but once shes got a plate of food down her, she is good as gold. She did 0840 till 1700 today - and absolutely loves the afterschool club. She thinks her friends who dont go are weirdos

She was absolutly creamed this morning not wanting to get up. Shes not started an after scool class yet, signed her up to a dance one which I think starts next wednesday.

Huge congratulations, get ready for 4-6 weeks of hell, but know that as draining as it's going to be, it DOES get easier.

Witnessing what a womans body endures throughout the whole process is fascinating, and really gives you (well, for me atleast) a new found level of respect for the fairer sex!

Not long back from 7 nights in Tenerife with our 2.5 year old. He’s pretty much swimming now which is great. But we need a holiday ourselves as doing it with young children is not relaxing!
We just went anyway for 3 nights in a caravan for our first holiday with our little one and you're right I was definitely ready to go back to work for a break :cry:

Not long back from 7 nights in Tenerife with our 2.5 year old. He’s pretty much swimming now which is great. But we need a holiday ourselves as doing it with young children is not relaxing!
We're looking to go away in Jan when ours will be around 5 months old, so still very immobile which were hoping mean it's slightly less stressful.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread but is there a go-to bank/service for children's savings accounts?

Was thinking of a S&S ISA of some kind and just putting regular amounts into an ETF or index fund for them. I had a quick browse and of the couple Junior S&S ISA products I looked at it didn't look like you could be specific with the choice of fund/shares your investment went into, is that not possible with junior accounts? Or is it bank/provider dependent?

Back
Top Bottom