OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Just found this thread :) could be useful. Our son is 2 and a 1/2 and it's flying by :O

Taking from an above message, What's the deal with black out blinds/curtains? Do they work? Been meaning to try some for a while. The sun comes down on his side of the house and it's so bright. We started hanging a dark towel in the window and it does work, but it was supposed to be temporary while we sorted a proper solution so I think I should have a look :) any tips? Blinds or curtains?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I joined the club in the early hours of the 18th - 6lb baby girl by emergency cesarean as she was breech. We were booked in for the 20th anyway and due date was the 22nd, but she decided to make an appearance early so nothing we weren't prepared for.

The pregnancy wasn't quite as straight forward as usual as she had Cholestasis and had to visit the hospital every week so they could monitor her and baby, so she got to sit there listening to heartbeat etc for about half an hour every week. I went several times, I'll never get bored of that sound.

The doctors also thought she might have Pre-eclampsia at one point too! So that on top of everything added to the stress but all is well now.

Anyway all that aside we now have a very healthy, beautiful little baby girl named Isabelle! Mum and baby are both very well and this week which is the first one back to work after my paternity leave sucks!

So far baby is sleeping really well and we've had to wake her up overnight to feed her rather than it being the other way around, though she does wake up herself (and in turn, us!) sometimes.

As someone who's never really taken much notice of what to 'do' with a baby, it's been quite the learning curve! :eek::p

Last edited:
Soldato
I joined the club in the early hours of the 18th - 6lb baby girl by emergency cesarean as she was breech. We were booked in for the 20th anyway and due date was the 22nd, but she decided to make an appearance early so nothing we weren't prepared for.

The pregnancy wasn't quite as straight forward as usual as she had Cholestasis and had to visit the hospital every week so they could monitor her and baby, so she got to sit there listening to heartbeat etc for about half an hour every week. I went several times, I'll never get bored of that sound.

The doctors also thought she might have Pre-eclampsia at one point too! So that on top of everything added to the stress but all is well now.

Anyway all that aside we now have a very healthy, beautiful little baby girl named Isabelle! Mum and baby are both very well and this week which is the first one back to work after my paternity leave sucks!

So far baby is sleeping really well and we've had to wake her up overnight to feed her rather than it being the other way around, though she does wake up herself (and in turn, us!) sometimes.

As someone who's never really taken much notice of what to 'do' with a baby, it's been quite the learning curve! :eek::p

sounds like you had a fun pregnancy! The misses had Cholestasis too and was forever back and forward to the hospital, what didn't help was just how little our son wanted to cooperate. I went a few times myself and those 5 minutes of the nurse trying to find his heartbeat every time was the most nerve wracking experience (How hard could he be to find, not like he had much space to play with!) and the fibroids did not help, especially when the nurse announces she thinks you have 'a number of fibroids' (which neither of us had heard of) during a scan only to immediately leave the room for 10 minutes without another word to us to consult someone who knew a bit more about them! I swear the hospital were trying to kill us off.

Enjoy the time, it really does fly by, my little boy is 3 next month and it feels like it was yesterday that I was watching them cut him out though the glass in the overhead spotlight at the operating table whilst my wife was busy opening the Northampton Lido.

Don
Welcome to the club :D They provide endless love and pain in equal measure!

Thank God I've got two boys, you are going to have some major headches in ~13 years with a teenage girl :D :D

Soldato
So for those that know, George is now off his oxygen, got one more test in a week to check his sats then the oxygen gets removed from the house.

He was discharged from ENT after a endoscopy showed that his vocal cords have repaired themselves, they were putting it down to damage from all the intubations.
At the minute he still sees the Dietitian, Physiotherapist, Neurology and his overall Neonatal Consultant. The outreach team have one more visit then the health visitor will take over his weekly weighing and head measurements.

His last MRI showed no increase in his ventricles so MRIs will now be every 3 months.
He has this past two weeks started gaining a bit of weight but only because we have started concentrating his formula and introducing solids sooner.

His consultant is actually amazed at his progress and cant believe how his brain is adapting, his right side definitely seems weaker but he is moving around, so might just be a case that he ends up left handed.

h_aG6Chs74scFldNqaAeWfvQA_42IwRYHe5-7t6m_0UWcFkpH-3L6edbESJldImhyViyoXK_VqFgHJs1izSK_656LkKJHeeOJ7ghXzj9gh7ATI4hDas8AkOWSua2LrpUf213tQWrrK1n6HHsZKM2tybJrpFuHjbNf2X9nuxbzUnwlrcLOA3a8d46PteydVWGEXS_qNmWSKLAJnQFogUnR-Pf9YsY_nBVBZGY7nfekasSWK7qUxASlrRjndsztNiTUhZvD9SGWaaoViMmDLe6sXtxJEcXbz0L9bkGfKEr6JvBvqUxHm17qO44D2uY4Jcng31Y2xIW8IOgl9lnSu8XRR7oWQmvRm7jVPYhxcYgTaOqexW5hwDapHDVdbPFK9cFcF2S0eBrsKnuokqPFRI6iBx_j1MqGLUq0Mf4xz59oKVENKlTyx_WTKr3lR4MqjskOSzXOTNsy4wDX5o9lEAw1iO6nms-GSOFkPfKEYHbz2qtC57SW0ybHeQ6xwvaONDai_gh09bvlGkPqEZMtcZZa7FxmS8Amwf767GC8-01tMcLH3qOx1GHd7vu51a2EAd5C6bhojsKJnYfjPqLeLMMQ3fM4UxsK82-KGnVf5s=w340-h460-no

We would at some point love to take him for a visit to Alder Hey so the team could see his progress. To think the prognosis was complete right side paralysis or death.

Don
That's amazing news, congratulations :)

To the Father struggling with heat, there's not really much you can do. You can use a fan in the room to create airflow and keep their bedding light (i.e. sleep in a nappy and a single sheet) but really its just damage limitation

Soldato
Hello.

Been directed here!

Our baby boy was born last night at 10:35pm.

My wife had to have three repositionings of the epidural due to no effect. The last time it kind of worked but only really took the edge off. Was a really painful 24hours of labour.

It was a forceps delivery in the end, I watched every single thing... I found it oddly fascinating and even thought at some stage... "Must be cool to be a midwife and a doctor who deals with this..!" Too late for a career change!

We spent the night.

Little boy didn't want to feed all night, managed to finally get him to drink some formula milk and then he exploded and weed all over us whilst we checked him for any poo. Was great fun.

Anyway, we have to stay the night again as my wife has an infection. I get to stay which is great but I need to go home and deal with some last minute house prep as the boy was a week early and we were taken by surprise. We only just started our paternity / maternity yesterday and planned to get house ready this week!!!

Been great fun, I've not felt any stress or worry. Am I odd?

Sorry for the wall of text

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Congrats dude, I was in the same position a month ago, posted above. Can't believe its been 4 weeks already! Enjoy it. :)

Soldato
OP
Well done dude, glad you're handling it well. I admit I was glad to be sent home so I could get a night's sleep after the 6 days we were in for. It's the last one you get!

Associate
My little one, Max, is now ten-months. I've been fortunate to work for a supportive employer when it comes to flexible working. On his birth I took off eight weeks paternity leave and, now that my partner's maternity leave has ended, I've recently been able to drop Thursday's at work in order to have an extra full day with him and save us having to put him in nursery for more than one day per week. Quality time far more important than salary.

This month's 'battle' is trying to get him onto chunkier meals. He takes umbrage whenever a meal is presented that is much bulkier than smooth in consistency, it's an ongoing coaxing...:D

It's been a fantastic year. The birth was overdue, difficult (30+ hours) and messy, but it has been plain sailing since. The only difficulty is family, with mine living 300 miles away, and having to constantly rotate trips back and forth and invariably giving up holiday for visits. A trifle compared to some of the posts in this thread though, and not a hardship.

Soldato
I think meals are a batlle for most babies - toddlers. Our 2.5 year old eats loads at nursery but at home barely anything.
She's started to get better recently, but still nothing like full meals when were at home.

Soldato
I think meals are a batlle for most babies - toddlers. Our 2.5 year old eats loads at nursery but at home barely anything.
She's started to get better recently, but still nothing like full meals when were at home.
I think it's a herd instinct thing. My 4 year old daughter eats loads of stuff at nursery but won't touch jt at home. My favourite is that she doesn't like beans at home but has orange beans in a sauce at nursery. Although a close second is when she asks me to remove the oats from her porridge lol.

Soldato
Been great fun, I've not felt any stress or worry. Am I odd?

I felt really stressed / useless whilst the mrs was at hospital (c-section, so a few days) but once everyone was home it felt natural pretty much straight away.

I also felt really scared that I was going to break / drop him like all the time. I kept having visions of me messing up and dropping him.

After a week though, I was 100% fine and loving it.

Don
**** teething just **** teething.

My little bunny is so upset at the moment

Aye, it's one of the areas that people dont really warn you about before having a baby. The early weeks are tough, but as long as they have their nappy changed and fed regularly, they are quite content. 6 months onwards with teething is hell... basically no more sleep for 18months.

Soldato
Aye, it's one of the areas that people dont really warn you about before having a baby. The early weeks are tough, but as long as they have their nappy changed and fed regularly, they are quite content. 6 months onwards with teething is hell... basically no more sleep for 18months.
First 6 months were a blessing, shes 11 months now. Shes walking and frustrated, angry and generally grumpy. wont sleep for more than a couple of hours without new teething gel or pain killers.

Thank god it isnt permanent, this is her usual attitude
IMGP7612 by Dale Rose, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom