OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
Any advice for helping keep our 5 month old asleep at night? She wakes constantly during the night. Seems to not go into a proper deep sleep for any real length of time. I mean like she wakes anywhere between 5 and 15 times a night. Sometimes like 5 times in an hour. Have to put her dummy in again to calm her. Its draining to say the least... Obvious answer is wean the dummy away but the missus thinks shes too young yet as its the only thing that settles her during the day/night as shes quite grump (mostly due to lack or proper sleep). Its getting near the time to move her to her own room but it doesn't seem feasible with the amount she wakes up.

We think we have a decent bedtime routine. Feed her before bed, give her a wash/bath. Dark room with a nightlight/white noise machine. But she just doesn't stay settled. Our 4 year old I don't recall being this much work to stay asleep :O

Soldato
These latest drugs George is on are brutal, not been in school since starting then weeks ago, he's asleep about 18 hours a day.
Falls over all the time, slurred speech, forgetful (asks where he is all the time), in A&E more often, this morning crying his eyes out, he can't see and his ears hurt, rash all over his body.
Waiting for the doctor to phone back but I imagine he'll be in hospital again today.

Associate
Any advice for helping keep our 5 month old asleep at night? She wakes constantly during the night. Seems to not go into a proper deep sleep for any real length of time. I mean like she wakes anywhere between 5 and 15 times a night. Sometimes like 5 times in an hour. Have to put her dummy in again to calm her. Its draining to say the least... Obvious answer is wean the dummy away but the missus thinks shes too young yet as its the only thing that settles her during the day/night as shes quite grump (mostly due to lack or proper sleep). Its getting near the time to move her to her own room but it doesn't seem feasible with the amount she wakes up.

We think we have a decent bedtime routine. Feed her before bed, give her a wash/bath. Dark room with a nightlight/white noise machine. But she just doesn't stay settled. Our 4 year old I don't recall being this much work to stay asleep :O
We got rid of the dummy at 5/6 months, basically went cold turkey overnight with it and it worked well.

Sounds like a little bit of sleep training might help though? From what you're describing it sounds like she's struggling to link her sleep cycles together and rather than settle herself, she needs you/her dummy to do it. And at 5/6 months they're not really capable of finding the dummy in the cot / putting it back in that accurately.

Our daughter was a cracking sleeper from about 6 weeks to 4 months - then we had exactly the same thing as you're describing with loads of night time wakes, sometimes multiple times an hour and we just decided to do everything at once. We moved her to her own room, got rid of the dummy and started sleep training and within 3 days she was sleeping through the night, no longer had a need for the dummy (we threw them all out after the first night) and we found that her being in her own room meant we also got way better sleep and we weren't disturbing her either.

Soldato
These latest drugs George is on are brutal, not been in school since starting then weeks ago, he's asleep about 18 hours a day.
Falls over all the time, slurred speech, forgetful (asks where he is all the time), in A&E more often, this morning crying his eyes out, he can't see and his ears hurt, rash all over his body.
Waiting for the doctor to phone back but I imagine he'll be in hospital again today.
whats up with him?

fez

fez

Caporegime

Poor lad. I can't imagine how horrible that is for all of you. I hope he gets better soon.

Soldato
Associate
The Mrs and I have got a good deal going where whoever is working from home gets up with the kids during the night. So Monday night and Tuesday night our boy was kicking off early doors and was up for two hours in the night.

My turn last night… he slept 11 hours straight through LOL.

Last edited:
Soldato
He's got to stay in hospital, still haven't got a clue what's going on but he has a fluid dripping out of his ear now, poor guy just doesn't get a break.

Man of Honour
I had a bit of an "argument" well that's too strong a word, but disagreement maybe with some of the staff at my kid's school.

They're planning a sports day and they want to give everyone medals for turning up. I said, what's the point, that doesn't help build up competitive spirit and wanting to improve or be better than others. Competition is absolutely necessary to learn for children, to make them realise they have to work hard to achieve something. And losing is part of life just as winning is. Giving them a "prize" for just turning up sends the wrong message and creates soft entitled people in my opinion.

Possibly not a popular opinion, but anyway I told them I'm telling my kids not to accept a "turning up" medal, and only want them to get a prize if they deserve it.

Soldato
I had a bit of an "argument" well that's too strong a word, but disagreement maybe with some of the staff at my kid's school.

They're planning a sports day and they want to give everyone medals for turning up. I said, what's the point, that doesn't help build up competitive spirit and wanting to improve or be better than others. Competition is absolutely necessary to learn for children, to make them realise they have to work hard to achieve something. And losing is part of life just as winning is. Giving them a "prize" for just turning up sends the wrong message and creates soft entitled people in my opinion.

Possibly not a popular opinion, but anyway I told them I'm telling my kids not to accept a "turning up" medal, and only want them to get a prize if they deserve it.
We're you a person who won stuff as a child??

Man of Honour
We're you a person who won stuff as a child??

Not particularly. I won sometimes, I lost a more times than I won stuff. That said I mainly played team games. Learning to lose, learning to win is part of the process of life. What it has done is built resilience and self confidence and wanting to achieve more. There is an argument about being better than you were and self improvement but how does celebrating turning up to sports day do anything other than create a bunch of average people / people who coast / do bare minimum and still expect to win a prize? Guess what, life isn't like that, you've got to work for the top prize.

Do you think you should be handing out prizes just for taking part? What does that teach to kids other than entitlement and not wanting to be competitive? If you're the best you should get celebrated for it, it undermines the process if everyone gets something for just turning up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not particularly. I won sometimes, I lost a more times than I won stuff. That said I mainly played team games. Learning to lose, learning to win is part of the process of life. What it has done is built resilience and self confidence and wanting to achieve more. There is an argument about being better than you were and self improvement but how does celebrating turning up to sports day do anything other than create a bunch of average people / people who coast / do bare minimum and still expect to win a prize? Guess what, life isn't like that, you've got to work for the top prize.

Do you think you should be handing out prizes just for taking part? What does that teach to kids other than entitlement and not wanting to be competitive? If you're the best you should get celebrated for it, it undermines the process if everyone gets something for just turning up.
Meh, I just asked a basic question.

Soldato

I agree. Participation trophies are pointless. My son plays rugby (league I think, not much of a sportsperson myself), he is in under 7s and last year they had "matches" I use inverted commas as if you've seen kids of that age play, you'll understand :cry: . He only won player of the match once in the whole season (unlike one of the coaches kids:rolleyes:) and he was over the moon (as were we) as it wasn't devalued by getting a trophy all the time. I think its a good life lesson imo, I don't mind being harsh with kids, I don't want them growing being entitled thinking they always get their way.

Back
Top Bottom