OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Yeah our little ones bedroom is total blackout (bloc blind). It was a game changer for her early years. Now she is a bit older she prefers a very dim night light. Historically that wouldn't have worked tho.

Soldato
I mean I'm pretty sure you get a medal for running the London or reading marathons now. It isn't a kids/teacher thing at all.

Do you get a medal for doing the first 100m and then giving up? Completing a marathon in itself is a big achievement that takes a lot of training and preparation, slightly different to carrying a bean bag 10m and dropping it in a hoop on the ground.

Soldato
George failed his hearing tests yesterday, they say he probably needs an operation in each ear to relieve fluid.
I've been trying to get my 5yr old seen for this.
Has taken a double ear infection to basically cut off most of his hearing for them to finally realise he has fluid inside each ear.
I have to raise my voice for him to even hear me at all.
He used to hear the tiniest of sounds. Feel bad for him.

They advised we use this nose balloon to attempt a way to drain the fluid naturally.

Soldato
And it gets better, there are no more drugs to try after they play with the doses so brain surgery is on the cards for later this year.
Only another week or so of the drug that's making him tired, thank god. At the minute he's wetting the bed most nights. Hopefully he can go on school tomorrow for half a day though.

Associate
How bright is the nightlight? Humans sleep best when it's very dark. I've always adjusted nightlights down in daughters room when she falls asleep.
Does the white noise slowly fade out, or is it going all night ? Any other noises that could be waking her up ?

You're doing right with getting a solid routine down. Routine is probably the single most important aspect for kids bedtime. In time it should sort itself out.
It's a red glow on the floor, so not at her eye level or anything. My other daughter sleeps with like 3 lights in her room haha. The white noise is on all night, we introduced that a few months in to see if it helped, it didn't :D. Now it's just habit more than anything I guess.
The only other noises would be us in the bed beside her and my wife's occasional annoying snoring -_-.

Soldato
It's a red glow on the floor, so not at her eye level or anything. My other daughter sleeps with like 3 lights in her room haha. The white noise is on all night, we introduced that a few months in to see if it helped, it didn't :D. Now it's just habit more than anything I guess.
The only other noises would be us in the bed beside her and my wife's occasional annoying snoring -_-.
Our 19m old will only sleep when we have the "Sleepy Bedtime Lullabys" on the Echo dot...

Soldato
We have an Ollie the Owl, which can play a lullaby or white noise, it plays for 20 mins then switches off, but can sense when they get restless (or there's a loud noise) and plays again for another 20 mins. Was an absolute godsend for the times he's been in hospital, to drown out the constant beeping, doors banging, people talking etc.

Any recommendation for longer trousers?

Oscar is 4 in April, but he's only 13kg, and so skinny that round the waist he's still in 12-18months! Problem is they are getting to the point they're too short for him :(

We've got him in some bigger ones with drawstrings, but on a lot of them, the drawstrings are just for show and don't actually tighten properly, and on the ones that do, they look a bit ridiculous how they "balloon" out :(

Last edited:
Associate
Any one's kid not getting the art of swimming or riding a bike? As much encouragement as we give and lots of swimming lessons it seems the progression is rather slow and not wanting to do all the tasks to move to the next stage and not pushing to improve each week. It seems the same with a bike as not wanting to let go of stabilisers in the hope that is just comes naturally with holding them a bit. I see other kids are they are just getting on with things and swimming well or whizzing along on their bikes. I know I should not compare but this has been going on a while.

Soldato
Any one's kid not getting the art of swimming or riding a bike? As much encouragement as we give and lots of swimming lessons it seems the progression is rather slow and not wanting to do all the tasks to move to the next stage and not pushing to improve each week. It seems the same with a bike as not wanting to let go of stabilisers in the hope that is just comes naturally with holding them a bit. I see other kids are they are just getting on with things and swimming well or whizzing along on their bikes. I know I should not compare but this has been going on a while.

Are the stabilizers height adjustable. Keep raising the height of them over time until they become redundant when going at anything more than a stall speed.

Last edited:
Associate
Are the stabilizers height adjustable. Keep raising the height of them over time until they become redundant when going at anything more than a stall speed.

They are adjustable but even then it is a battle to actually ride and push to peddle and just get on with it. It a mixture of fear and not wanting to do it. It was the same with jumping in the pool and slowing down the entire class. The swimming instructor is very patient but obviously getting paid and I am seeing no progression but want to persevere on in the hope both get nailed this by this summer to avoid being one of few in the class not being able to do either with ease

fez

fez

Caporegime
Does anyone else struggle to trust the grandparents with their young kids. Grandma especially just cannot be trusted to keep an eye on our 10 month olds. They are both starting to walk so they are scuttling around on the floor quite quickly and trying to stand up and walk and she just forgets to watch them. We never leave her with them both because thats too much but its seems that almost every time we have her looking after them, one of them ends up falling over and smacking their head on the floor.

We were supposed to be leaving them with the grandparents for 1 day a week when my partner goes back to work in about 5 months but currently we just don't trust them enough. Perhaps when they are a little older it won't be such an issue.

Its an attention problem, not an age issue. They are both in their mid 60s. Anyone else had this issue and sorted it out?

Soldato
They are adjustable but even then it is a battle to actually ride and push to peddle and just get on with it. It a mixture of fear and not wanting to do it. It was the same with jumping in the pool and slowing down the entire class. The swimming instructor is very patient but obviously getting paid and I am seeing no progression but want to persevere on in the hope both get nailed this by this summer to avoid being one of few in the class not being able to do either with ease
Go cold turkey with the bike, just take them off. How old is the child? My daughter could cycle at 4, but my son was probably a year older before he got the confidence. As for swimming, I think lessons are the best way, and every so often go swimming too and ask them to show you what they've learned (or do a stroke badly so they show you how it should be done).

Last edited:
Associate
Go cold turkey with the bike, just take them off. How old is the child? My daughter could cycle at 4, but my son was probably a year older before he got the confidence. As for swimming, I think lessons are the best way, and every so often go swimming too and ask them to show you what they've learned (or do a stroke badly so they show you how it should be done).

That last point is a great one. I did that in the past and was given word for word what they'd learnt in the lesson and tried to teach me as did a few strokes wayward myself.
I will give this another go in the half-term holidays to bring confidence outside of the lessons again.

As for the bike as it not a balance bike could just take off the pedals and start form scratch again as weather improves.

I know some teens around the neighbourhood who can not ride and don't want the same happening so will carry on and encouraging.

Associate
@ddoubleep. The balance bike is a great invention.

My lad was riding one at 18 months and moved up to a BMW version where the pedals came off to make it a balance bike. When he was a little bigger I put the pedals back on and asked him to put his feet on the pedals and I pushed him along a bit whilst he got his legs used to the pedalling motion. Literally, in 100 yards he rode away from me. Fantastic things!

Re: the swimming he would not swim until we took him to lessons. The teachers were awesome (big factor) and he was swimming within two weeks (at 3 years old).

Caporegime
Anyone here been to Dubai with a 2 year old? If so. where did you stay, what activities did you do?
Been with a three year old for 2 nights when transiting. Stayed in the Fairmont Hotel. It was a disaster, too hot to go out for more than a few minutes, hotel was not at all child friendly.

The mall was sterile and inoffensive, easy to find family friendly food but could have mistaken it for any UK city mall. We did the miracle garden but it was 40+ and daughter started throwing up repeatedly.

Never again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Been with a three year old for 2 nights when transiting. Stayed in the Fairmont Hotel. It was a disaster, too hot to go out for more than a few minutes, hotel was not at all child friendly.

The mall was sterile and inoffensive, easy to find family friendly food but could have mistaken it for any UK city mall. We did the miracle garden but it was 40+ and daughter started throwing up repeatedly.

Never again.
Thanks, we are looking to go the week after next, looks to be mid 20's during the day, don't think we'd go there when it's hotter.

Back
Top Bottom