• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** OcUK HAS 21 CUSTOM GTX 1080 MODELS READY FOR PRE-ORDER !! **

Associate
Well i am going to wait until the end of july for the 1080 classified, if it slips any later i will cancel and bye bye EVGA first time buyer as well for this brand.

This is the first time I've bought a gpu at launch, and tbh I'm not impressed. OC have done a great job considering how NVIDIA and it's board partners have messed this up. From what I can gather from this forum the 980Ti was a messy launch as well.

Soldato
Everybody will have a 1080 by the time EVGA brings any cards out, are these the last company to release one, some brain box needs to start flipping some burgers next time there is a major GPU release :D

Soldato
Everybody will have a 1080 by the time EVGA brings any cards out, are these the last company to release one, some brain box needs to start flipping some burgers next time there is a major GPU release :D

Yeh and the worst part is they were supposed to be the first cards.

Associate
Decided im just going to wait out on the 1080 FTW but check out what the AMD rx 480 performs like at the end of the month- if that card can hold me over for 6-12 months of playing vr games I will wait for the 1080 TI I think. If the AMD does not look great then the EVGA will be out about a week after.

Associate
Been trying out my Strix and so far the card is flawless fps wise, gtav max settings and even turned all the shadows on full in the advanced graphics and its buttery smooth.

Fallout 4 again absolutely max settings, even uGridsToLoad at 7 and it runs perfectly staying at 60fps, drops to mid 50's in the populated city area sometimes but its smooth.

HOWEVER, if either godrays or ambient occlusion are turned on, even on the lowest of those settings, theres very audible coil whine, performance is perfect, but that damn coil whine noise just ruins it, makes me want to turn those settings off simply because of the noise even tho the performance on max is perfect.

Really disappointed in that...havent had any other coil whine issues in other games yet but the Strix boasted high quality components but even fallout 4 is too much for it i guess. Might have to swap out my case to something more sound dampening...

Performance tho is bang on, but ive always had a pet peeve for coil whine and that annoys me lol kinda makes me not even want to play fallout cause i can just hear it all the time. But its either that or turn off 2 very dramatic graphic settings which change the whole look of the game, blah

Associate
Been trying out my Strix and so far the card is flawless fps wise, gtav max settings and even turned all the shadows on full in the advanced graphics and its buttery smooth.

Fallout 4 again absolutely max settings, even uGridsToLoad at 7 and it runs perfectly staying at 60fps, drops to mid 50's in the populated city area sometimes but its smooth.

HOWEVER, if either godrays or ambient occlusion are turned on, even on the lowest of those settings, theres very audible coil whine, performance is perfect, but that damn coil whine noise just ruins it, makes me want to turn those settings off simply because of the noise even tho the performance on max is perfect.

Really disappointed in that...havent had any other coil whine issues in other games yet but the Strix boasted high quality components but even fallout 4 is too much for it i guess. Might have to swap out my case to something more sound dampening...

Performance tho is bang on, but ive always had a pet peeve for coil whine and that annoys me lol kinda makes me not even want to play fallout cause i can just hear it all the time. But its either that or turn off 2 very dramatic graphic settings which change the whole look of the game, blah

I believe a decent PSU can help with coil whine. Perhaps something worth looking into if your own is a bit dated.

Associate
I believe a decent PSU can help with coil whine. Perhaps something worth looking into if your own is a bit dated.
Possibly, the one i was looking at recently was like £100+, one of the evga 850w supernovas, scrapped the idea in the end. Thing is i could get it but it might not even help and sending it back seems like hassle. My current psu has been in use since the end of 2009 tho, its the Corsair HX 850W ATX.

Im probably just being fussy over the noise but it does bother me, im a speaker gamer, and my pc is right next to my moniter so its pretty much right next to me, im sure if i put my case under the desk and bought decent headphones id have zero issues, hell even just going under the desk might help..just no room to actually put it under there atm.

I dunno really, would upgrading my psu from what i have now to one of those evgas really help u think?

Associate
I dunno really, would upgrading my psu from what i have now to one of those evgas really help u think?

I used to have a terrible issue with coil whine with my 970, then I upgraded to a corsair AX 760w PSU (I upgraded because I was going to go SLI and needed a new PSU, didn't end up doing that though) and the coil whine was eliminated.

So, in short I would say yes. :)

Associate
first wave of Gigabyte Xtreme reach USA yesterday but unfortunately some owners reported same QC problem with the middle fan hitting the X bar logo in front of it.

' I couldn't believe this, I am having the same issue as the other two posters that posted above me, the card middle fan is hitting the X frame and its making a stupid sound! '

' the small X-bar on the front of the card is touching the middle fan'

' The frame supporting the cooling system seems to be out of place. One of the fans continuously hits the frame when running.'

now i am worry that first wave of UK one will have same problem

ps. most of them get 2060-2080 mhz out of the box without touching the clock

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Just an update, OcUK is now listing 50 GTX 1080's, that's twice the amount of our nearest competitor, infact more! :)

Like a boss!!! :D

Associate
first wave of Gigabyte Xtreme reach USA yesterday but unfortunately some owners reported same QC problem with the middle fan hitting the X bar logo in front of it.

' I couldn't believe this, I am having the same issue as the other two posters that posted above me, the card middle fan is hitting the X frame and its making a stupid sound! '

' the small X-bar on the front of the card is touching the middle fan'

' The frame supporting the cooling system seems to be out of place. One of the fans continuously hits the frame when running.'

now i am worry that first wave of UK one will have same problem

ps. most of them get 2060-2080 mhz out of the box without touching the clock

I'll be rather annoyed if having waited all this time I get an annoying noise from some misalignment. Hopefully it is just a vocal minority and we won't get those issues!

On the plus side those clocks sound good.

Associate
Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom