• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** OcUK HAS 21 CUSTOM GTX 1080 MODELS READY FOR PRE-ORDER !! **

Associate
Even if they release a 1080Ti? With pascal titan x only 30% better does there really need to be a 1080Ti? Nope.

Do we all really need these 1080s, Nope. Do we all want one, Yep!

The 908Ti was about a 20-30% performance boost, why would they not do the same with a 1080Ti? AMD will likely scrape together some dual chip monster that gets near the 1080 at 3x the power consumption and will respond. If not they will just wait until 1080 demand slacks off, speculation is suggesting next spring.

Associate
They could release a 1080ti slightly faster than a 1080 and drop the 1080 price to where it should be so you have a 1070 then a £100 gap to a 1080 then another £100 to a 1080ti.

Ha, yes. They could also quite easily support freesync on these cards but they won't!

Expect the Ti to appear at the midpoint of the 1080 and the Titan X! At best it will be an $800-$850 launch. It would be up to the board partners to drop 1080 prices back to the range we were initially promised, the FE pricing will stay the same.

Its all more painful due to the terrible marketing of MSRP on release, they shouldn't have given the lower figure since they were never going to sell a product at that price. All the (preferred) partner cards are either FE cards with better coolers or have more features and better coolers (but the same performance caps) - so why would they want to sell them for less and an FE card?

Nvidia said here's our version its $700, but someone else will sell you one for $600, so the headline price is $600 - for a product that will never exist!

Caporegime
Ha, yes. They could also quite easily support freesync on these cards but they won't!

Expect the Ti to appear at the midpoint of the 1080 and the Titan X! At best it will be an $800-$850 launch. It would be up to the board partners to drop 1080 prices back to the range we were initially promised, the FE pricing will stay the same.

Its all more painful due to the terrible marketing of MSRP on release, they shouldn't have given the lower figure since they were never going to sell a product at that price. All the (preferred) partner cards are either FE cards with better coolers or have more features and better coolers (but the same performance caps) - so why would they want to sell them for less and an FE card?

Nvidia said here's our version its $700, but someone else will sell you one for $600, so the headline price is $600 - for a product that will never exist!

Just not the performance there. Titans with their pathetic air coolers are only 14% faster than the best aib 1080s. 14% is a small gap to fit a 1080ti into.

Associate
Just not the performance there. Titans with their pathetic air coolers are only 14% faster than the best aib 1080s. 14% is a small gap to fit a 1080ti into.

Yes, but see this :)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1607133/titan-x-pascal-waterblock-release-date-expectations

Think we might expect similar clocks as we are currently getting on the 1080s, so with an extra ~50% cores to use you might see these things push pretty hard.

Also remember that we don't see any partner OC'd cards and such from the Titan X and its really aimed at a different audience; it might be the ultimate gaming card right now, but its not designed to be the ultimate gaming card. I see the future Ti as the 'gaming version' of the Titan X, losing the double precision / machine learning / scientific computing features.

We have seen it before, the 1080Ti is likely to match, if not better, the stock Titan X for gaming. I think we should get excited about that since its looking like the Titan X can sustain 4K@60 in just about anything today, even with some anti-aliasing turned on.

I really don't think Nvidia will be worried if a 1080Ti outperforms the Titan X, very few will be picking up a Titan X without needing the extra features it offers - and those select few will likely just move to the Ti when it comes out.

Caporegime
We have seen it before, the 1080Ti is likely to match, if not better, the stock Titan X for gaming. I think we should get excited about that since its looking like the Titan X can sustain 4K@60 in just about anything today, even with some anti-aliasing turned on.

All the reviews ive read show the Titan sustaining 60 fps at 1440p. Even this beast cant sustain 60fps at 4k unless you switch off some of the graphics.

We need next gen at least for that.

Associate

+ looking at some reviews, the Titan X still has ~10% headroom for overclocking which is thermally limited. That puts it benches ~25% above an overclocked FTW 1080 for example. Lets see where that goes on water :)

Unless the Titan X has a stricter voltage limit than the 1080, its possible we might see a 40%+ boost vs current 1080s (without custom vBios / card butchering) when thermal limits are not in the way.

Associate
All the reviews ive read show the Titan sustaining 60 fps at 1440p. Even this beast cant sustain 60fps at 4k unless you switch off some of the graphics.

We need next gen at least for that.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,review-33624-4.html

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/95215-nvidia-titan-x-pascal/?page=8

Seen these 2 so far, they say differently. I'm seeing 100+ fps @ 1440p on my 1080 in most things most of the time. Cannot think of seeing it drop near 60 tbh, but I'm not playing anything too demanding right now.

Associate
Hi there

Not such great news today.

KFA2 got me some China allocation but all they could get was 10pc 1080 EX OC and 10pc HOF which will arrive next week. No blowers unfortunately.

Gigabyte then gave bad news that no Extreme regular 1080 will be available until end of August.

Hi Gibbo, anything you can offer as an alternative to the KFA blower. I ordered one along with a full cover EK block and some Mayhems fluid back on the 9th June. This was at £525. I know you can't match that price but is there anything in stock 1080 wise using the Nvidia reference PCB that you could ship instead for under £600?

List of compatible cards: https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/waterblock/3831109831274

At this rate it feels as though I'll never get the card I ordered :(

Caporegime
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,review-33624-4.html

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/95215-nvidia-titan-x-pascal/?page=8

Seen these 2 so far, they say differently. I'm seeing 100+ fps @ 1440p on my 1080 in most things most of the time. Cannot think of seeing it drop near 60 tbh, but I'm not playing anything too demanding right now.

It was the division where with all the bells and whistles on the min drops below 60 at 1440p.

drops to 40 at 4k.

Okay, you dial back some of the treats but thats not the point.

Associate
It was the division where with all the bells and whistles on the min drops below 60 at 1440p.

drops to 40 at 4k.

Okay, you dial back some of the treats but thats not the point.

Well, I did say 'just about' rather than 4K@60 everywhere! Yeah, a few of the of the more demanding games struggle on the min end, but if you can average 60 and always keep above 30 fps your going to have a pretty decent gaming experience.

You should also consider that some of those 'bells and whistles' are there to make up having a lower resolution - just having a finer gain in the display detail generally gives a better view than having some post processing feature to mask the detail loss.

I would argue that due to the nature of 4k, we might not ever get an architecture that puts out a minimum 60 fps on 4k for the latest engines. Just as the cards get better, the game engines use it to make things look prettier. Only when 4k is the norm for gaming (or at the very least 1440p) will game engines be properly optimised to run well at that resolution. Perhaps 1 day 1080p will go the way of 640x480, but for the foreseeable future its the standard.

Caporegime
Well, I did say 'just about' rather than 4K@60 everywhere! Yeah, a few of the of the more demanding games struggle on the min end, but if you can average 60 and always keep above 30 fps your going to have a pretty decent gaming experience.

You should also consider that some of those 'bells and whistles' are there to make up having a lower resolution - just having a finer gain in the display detail generally gives a better view than having some post processing feature to mask the detail loss.

I would argue that due to the nature of 4k, we might not ever get an architecture that puts out a minimum 60 fps on 4k for the latest engines. Just as the cards get better, the game engines use it to make things look prettier. Only when 4k is the norm for gaming (or at the very least 1440p) will game engines be properly optimised to run well at that resolution. Perhaps 1 day 1080p will go the way of 640x480, but for the foreseeable future its the standard.

oh we will so long as this progress keeps going on. Each year the cards are 50% faster than the year before so shouldnt be too long before its a constant 60fps min at 4k. With the next die shrink and hbm2 it might be a big jump like the 8800 GTX was.

Of course by then everybody will be buying 5k and 8k screens...............;)

And even ignoring that people are wanting 100 fps now to go with their 144hz screens.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there

Not such great news today.

KFA2 got me some China allocation but all they could get was 10pc 1080 EX OC and 10pc HOF which will arrive next week. No blowers unfortunately.

Gigabyte then gave bad news that no Extreme regular 1080 will be available until end of August.

Glad I have my 1080.

Nvidia really messed up the whole 10 series release. The drama continues.

Associate
You can swap to the PP, but the lowest price I could do you on the PP would be £679.99 so you'd need to pay the difference to this price.

Asus Strix OC will be even longer! Asus Strix Gamer is in stock and I could offer you that at £659.99 if that helps.

If you want to do either of the above, contact CS via CS section linking to my reply here and they shall amend your order. :)

You are a legend Gibbo.
I'm expecting my Xtreme PP to arrive tomorrow at pre-Brexit price.
Although your offer for Strix OC was very tempting. Especially that you have it listed at £799 now. But no point ordering card that will be available after Xmas :D
I gave Gigabyte one more chance. Next time you will be talking to Gigabyte's bosses, tell them that you saved one (at least) customer from moving to another brand.
Hopefully from tomorrow I will not have to track this forum thread :)
Although I probably still check here from time to time.

Associate
I spoke to the customer service and was told that my gtx 1080sc had not been sent due to the amount of stock that came in yesterday how much you went up in the queue could be due to the amount out of the 20 were sent.

To be fair im still ****ed due to the fact I was 6th before the shipments came in.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Gibbo, anything you can offer as an alternative to the KFA blower. I ordered one along with a full cover EK block and some Mayhems fluid back on the 9th June. This was at £525. I know you can't match that price but is there anything in stock 1080 wise using the Nvidia reference PCB that you could ship instead for under £600?

List of compatible cards: https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/waterblock/3831109831274

At this rate it feels as though I'll never get the card I ordered :(

^This. Any potential upgrade options? I would have gone for the Inno3D X2 but that's now out of stock with (as far as I can tell from this thread) no eta for new ones yet. I'm at that inflection point now where I'm starting to think a second hand 980ti on water will do for now and I could save myself £645 (GPU+waterblock+backplate)...

Back
Top Bottom