OcUK Hivemind, am I in the wrong?

Caporegime
Getting some flak on this one but I can't grasp that I'm in the wrong.

I have a sister, my partner has a brother. Both have their own partners. Each year at Christmas we alternate between our parents for Christmas Dinner.

For example, this year we are due at my parents, my sister at her partners parents and my partners brother at their parents.

Everyone is happy. Everyone has family there for Christmas Dinner.

This year however my partners brother has decided last minute he's not going to spend it with his parents. This means they'll be alone.

My partner has asked if we could have them round at ours, no problem except my mum suffers severe social anxiety, particularly when eating. This therefore means my mum is either going to have a nightmare of a time or can't come.

I've therefore said we shouldn't change the plans and pattern that has been in place for years. She's kicking off with me saying I'm being selfish and making her parents have to have Dinner alone.

I think her brother is the one at fault in this scenario.

Who's right? Is there an alternative?

Caporegime
OP
YABU. What does it matter to you what the brother does?

Have your partner's parents over in the evening or visit them in the evening instead? Or even for breakfast?

It matters because he's the one breaking the pattern and therefore causing the problem.

Breakfast and the evening are not of relevance, I'm talking about Christmas Dinner.

Caporegime
OP
Ignoring the brother in law completely, can't you just tell her she's being selfish expecting your mum to endure her severe social anxiety? :p

I mean, you won't win, but at least you can win some moral high ground before you inevitably have to concede to keep the peace :p

Already done it. I think that's why she's not speaking to me :D

Caporegime
OP
Has your mum expressly said she doesn't want your partner's parents to come? Or have you made that determination yourself?

If the former then you are on solid ground, you can't really compromise with your mum being comfortable or not in her own home.

If it's the latter then I see why you are coming in for flak.

I'd have them both round here so that's not the issue. We could easily accommodate everyone. I've not mentioned it to my mum as simply put i know and understand her problems and if I put this on her she'd likely suffer an anxiety attack.

Caporegime
OP
If you saw her parents on Boxing Day, after they'd seen her brother and you'd seen your mum on Christmas day then you'd be breaking the '3 households' bubble anyway... So probably lucky he cancelled!

Existing support bubbles count as one household. Additionally I would only be meeting 2 other households. As would they. Just happen to have different bubbles.

Caporegime
OP
What's the problem?

So your saying that the brother in law has to follow the schedule for the rest of his life and not allowed to deviate from it?

I think he has the right to choose what he does with his own life.

There is nobody in the wrong here.

Says the man who recently said asian families are better because they're closer :D

Caporegime
OP
What's that got to do with the price of cheese?

Plus in the Asian family you wouldn't have this stupid scenario in the first place where everyone avoids each other and this couple have to go to this house and this couple to that house and then switch around every year.

So you just made my point even better.

Because if they were as awesomely close as your uber asian families then he wouldn't leave his parents alone at Christmas, would he?
And its not a question of avoidance...the very fact that you think it is yet again shows your tenuous grasp on the topics at hand.

Caporegime
OP
Support bubbles are fine, but bubbles cannot be extended - if you meet someone they become part of your bubble as do any other households they/you see before and after.

I expect most people are going to ignore that though...

We wouldn't be extending. No group would meet more than 2 other households.

Caporegime
OP
Isn't the question whether you should be seeing either parents, even if Boris says OK, virus isn't taking time-off, let alone potentially mixing them/parents. ?
with parents in their 50s+ would they want to be mixed ?.

And this is one of the issues. Her brother has seen her parents for childcare purposes so they've already had that interaction. We've not seen them.

Caporegime
OP
Do your parents live close to her parents!? Accept going to her parents house. Stay a while and say your popping to the toilet. Then jump in your car and see your parents for a while and say your just getting their present you have left in your car and back to the partners parents you go. Keep this up until you run out of ideas to leave or they got suspicious. I've seen this work in films and TV shows so I'm 78% sure you will be able to pull it off.

Not really, about 30 miles apart I'm afraid! Plus I can only really fit in one Christmas Dinner.

Caporegime
OP
probably relevant :
unless he's on his own, could be an indication of addtional infection possibility, or, even,
plot twist - he is concerned about infecting them, who is the bad guy now ?

As I've already stated he sees them because they look after his kid. They're going to his on the morning to see their grandchild.
So no, not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom