• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Nvidia RTX series review thread

Soldato
Not a technical review but he does run a few games on it. To summarise: the 2080ti is great for 4k, the 2080 doesn't offer much for the cash, the 2070 should be good.

Permabanned
I doubt I'll be upgrading based on results, I might pick one up eventually but no rush at all.

RTX2080 is basically a refined GTX1080Ti with Raytracing.

Associate
I think the real question that needs to be asked here is .... how is Jensun taking this negative press from the techtubers? lol i can imagine he is losing his marbles right now...

probably expected to see glowing reports left right and center

Soldato
You can ask @Gregster or @bru , I have not pulled DLSS to bits, I have been a big believer in DLSS.

No, no, you don't get to change the goal posts now. The discussion was always about Normal games and that was very clear from the conversations and your responses to everything I posted.

It's faster in some games and slower in others, which is exactly what I said.
Everythign Ive seen to far at the resolution I game at shows at least a small increase. Fair play, I think we have different view of previous discussions and a basis where we were coming from. For me it's always been about 1440P+ and newer games, not older.
And when I said pulling it all to bits, I meant generally, the 20 series. DLSS and RTX has always been crucial features of these cards, so to moan about the 20 series but then recognise the potential of DLSS seems contradictory.
I don't personally care about games I don't play. Right now for example I'm starting Wolfenstein 2 so for me in that game I would see a 40% increase at 1440P over a 1080 Ti with a 2080. So if I were to buy future games with 20-40% increase, that would be the average perforamne gain I'd see, not the average between games I don't play :)
What GPU do you own btw?

Last edited:
Associate
I expected it to average nearly 50%, not 30% in normal games. And I know DLSS will make a big difference in framerate, the problem is that it's only going to be in a few games.
And your basis for this assumption is what? Nvidia have already stated they will add DLSS code to games FOR FREE for any developer which requests it - which means we could see a very significant number of titles with DLSS support as it won't cost the developers anything to add it.

Associate
I respect nvidia pushing the envelope but I really wanted more out of performance relative to us now. Not for things to come they simple aren't ready yet.

However we had to get to this point I guess to progress the technology

The 2080ti Is the start of a new era no doubt

Thats very well put. i think peoples gripe is the sheer price increase for technology that cannot be used to its full potential.

Soldato
The 2080 is a complete joke. 1080 Ti performance for the same money (or slightly more) a year and a half later. There's not even the usual promise of significantly lower power consumption to fall back on.

The 2080 Ti would be fine if it was branded as a Titan and there was still a Ti to look forward to at a much lower price six months down the line. Nvidia are taking the pee with its price for those performance gains though.

Associate
My hope was that we would have 2080Ti performance for around £700 from the 20 series. Instead we have 1080Ti performance all over again at that price point!
Ray tracing is great and all, and is the future, but higher resolution is way more important than lighting effects right now imo. I'll vote with my wallet on this one.

Soldato
Nvidia can't be surprised at all. The negativity is based on the price mostly. Had these of been around £150-200 cheaper then I think we would be looking at another good release.

I have no doubt these will have to drop in price.

Soldato
I think the real question that needs to be asked here is .... how is Jensun taking this negative press from the techtubers? lol i can imagine he is losing his marbles right now...

probably expected to see glowing reports left right and center

He's utterly delusional if he genuinely expected that. He spent over an hour waxing lyrical about the ray tracing and DLSS benefits in order to justify the insane pricing of the RTX cards... yet those features aren't even something that can be tested or experienced yet. I don't know what he's smoking if he expected a different outcome. It's not like he wouldn't have known where the 2080 would land in relation to the 1080Ti in gaming performance in existing titles. The 4K performance of the 2080Ti is impressive for sure, but hardly justifies the price in and of itself. It's only if and when ray tracing and DLSS are features that you can exploit in games that the 20xx series may be the way to go. Until then, as of today, they're just terrible value propositions.

Soldato
I doubt they will, they won't sell like the 10 series did but they've priced these as an addition to those. The only way they'll drop is when/if AMD release something competitive.

When the 1000 series stock runs dry and demand isn't there for the 2000 series prices will fall.

Do we really think at these prices stock is gonna fly off the shelf?

Didn't Gibbo say that they actually had some left over stock for the pre-orders? I took that to mean sales haven't been that great that we sold out.

Add to that the 1080 and 1080ti are still adequate at 1400p and beyond.

Caporegime
RTX2080 is basically a refined GTX1080Ti with Raytracing.

Not much of a surprise in that respect, people seemed to be expecting almost 2080ti performance levels from the 2080 (or at least 20% more), was never gonna happen.

Makes the wait for a 2070 pretty bleak for whoever was holding out for that as it'll likely be in-between 1080 and 1080ti performance levels.

Caporegime
When the 1000 series stock runs dry and demand isn't there for the 2000 series prices will fall.

...or the demand will increase as they become the only options for buying new and by then the new technology aspects should be more widely adopted with a few months of driver improvements/optimisation. We've had it in the past where people have said cards won't sell without a price drop and the figures have shown otherwise.

Caporegime
the rtx 2080 is really overpriced vs the 1080ti

It's a weird price point, the 2080ti is barely fast enough for RT effects never mind the 2080. Should really be about £550 or so but that's around the pricing for the slower still 2070. And it makes the ask for over a grand for a ti even more eyebrow raising.

Soldato
Be interesting to see what NVIDIA do if anything, nearly every single review have voiced their disappointment. Will NV change of plan and just reduce their price points?

One to bear in mind for people with pre orders now, how would you feel if in 20 days the price point was reduced by a big amount?

Back
Top Bottom