OcUK Room 101 - Dump your petty hates here.

Soldato
Vehicle fires on the A500 Stoke-on-Trent, completely screwed my tachograph hours for this week.

That's my route to work. :(
I don't get it, during summer virtually no hold-ups whatsover. As soon as the nights draw in there are break-downs, accidents, and now you add fires to the list :(
Every other road is fine but the A50/500 through Stoke :(

Was walking back across the bridge from the train station earlier and stood and watched that fire. The traffic was chaos. But that's the thing about how Stoke-on-Trent is laid out, you can have a minor accident in say Baddley Green and the traffic in Hartshill will grind to a halt. It's horrendous.

Soldato
My petty hates all pretty much revolve around my commute:
  1. People that cut you up when crossing the road onto the pavement you are currently walking on. If it's a woman I won't barge into them but I won't hesitate to stick my foot out and see them trip. The best one was at Bank when their shoe came off resulting in them submerging their foot in a small puddle. Happened right here actually: 2cCOH1q.jpg For context, it was closer to the stairs into Bank because she had crossed diagonally and wanted to push her way through by forcing others to stop.
  2. Walking in a row of people such that you fully consume the width of the pavement, preventing those who need to be somewhere from passing without entering the road
  3. People who block the train carriage so that you cannot freely pass through it (obviously not including when the train is rammed - I am referring to the train journey back when there aren't usually as many people on the train but you'd like to pass through, in order to get to the optimal set of doors but instead they're lingering in a position that would place you about 80m from the stairs when you alight).
I've a feeling some people may disagree with everything I have said.

Associate
Ovens whose fans keep running well after you switch them off. It's called an oven because it's supposed to be hot and stay hot
Bit like microwaves where the fan runs on minutes after you've finished with it

Used to have a washing machine that spun the load at 1400rpm..Mmmm, nice and dry, but the very last thing the cycle did was a softening routine which meant it poured water all over the dry clothes, so you took them out and they were sopping. Had to re run the spin cycle and cut the power before that started. Super tiresome.

For all these I can't get my head around the fact that someone designed it this way

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's my route to work. :(
I don't get it, during summer virtually no hold-ups whatsover. As soon as the nights draw in there are break-downs, accidents, and now you add fires to the list :(
Every other road is fine but the A50/500 through Stoke :(
To be fair, the A50/A500 junction especially has been pretty dire all year, not sure as to why but it seems to have worsened noticeably.

Soldato
My petty hates all pretty much revolve around my commute:
  1. People that cut you up when crossing the road onto the pavement you are currently walking on. If it's a woman I won't barge into them but I won't hesitate to stick my foot out and see them trip. The best one was at Bank when their shoe came off resulting in them submerging their foot in a small puddle. Happened right here actually: 2cCOH1q.jpg For context, it was closer to the stairs into Bank because she had crossed diagonally and wanted to push her way through by forcing others to stop.
  2. Walking in a row of people such that you fully consume the width of the pavement, preventing those who need to be somewhere from passing without entering the road
  3. People who block the train carriage so that you cannot freely pass through it (obviously not including when the train is rammed - I am referring to the train journey back when there aren't usually as many people on the train but you'd like to pass through, in order to get to the optimal set of doors but instead they're lingering in a position that would place you about 80m from the stairs when you alight).
I've a feeling some people may disagree with everything I have said.

Having commuted across London for 20 years, I agree with everything you wrote.

A personal peeve of mine is fellow pedestrians walking in the opposite direction (especially on zebra crossings) that make eye contact with you and then adjust their course to walk directly at you.

Soldato
Having commuted across London for 20 years, I agree with everything you wrote.

A personal peeve of mine is fellow pedestrians walking in the opposite direction (especially on zebra crossings) that make eye contact with you and then adjust their course to walk directly at you.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one then.

That is terribly annoying too. They say the trick is to not make eye contact but instead to navigate with your eyes because most people will naturally move. For example, when somebody has their head buried in their phone, people tend to move around them and not into them. That's at the other end of the spectrum though as they're not even looking where they are going.

Soldato
Lloyds bank statements.

They come with four holes already punched.

But the holes dont line up properly (IE If you attempt to line up multiple statements before filing them by aligning the edges of the A4 sheet, the holes dont line up)

This may seem trivial but I find it bloody annoying!:mad:

(Its sloppy too!)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Lloyds bank statements.

They come with four holes already punched.

But the holes dont line up properly (IE If you attempt to line up multiple statements before filing them by aligning the edges of the A4 sheet, the holes dont line up)

This may seem trivial but I find it bloody annoying!:mad:

(Its sloppy too!)
Why are you 1) getting paper statements sent out, and 2) keeping them :confused:

If you ever need a statement from any time period on physical paper the bank will print you one on request. You can also search years of statements online instantly and export them in many formats. Getting them sent out in the mail is not only a security risk but also a total waste of time/resource. :p

Caporegime
Why are you 1) getting paper statements sent out, and 2) keeping them :confused:

If you ever need a statement from any time period on physical paper the bank will print you one on request. You can also search years of statements online instantly and export them in many formats. Getting them sent out in the mail is not only a security risk but also a total waste of time/resource. :p

In a similar vein then...

- People who get sent paper bank statements

Soldato
Been in the US for a while now, what grinds my gears, no banter in the work space, it's all small talk, pretending to be nice etc etc. But zero banter and fun. At least here in California. I miss walking into a UK office and the whole team just throwing insults around, feels a lot more friendly and fun. You just don't get the same level of 'friends' at workplaces here.

Soldato

Something I can answer! we are also paperless however where I work is compliance and auditing so I know reasons etc.

There are many organisations that require that you present paper versions of bills/bank statements.
I.E where we need two specific proofs of address to help form proof of address amd proof of ID so yeah there are still some ancient processes that need to kill trees! :)

Soldato
Been in the US for a while now, what grinds my gears, no banter in the work space, it's all small talk, pretending to be nice etc etc. But zero banter and fun. At least here in California. I miss walking into a UK office and the whole team just throwing insults around, feels a lot more friendly and fun. You just don't get the same level of 'friends' at workplaces here.

It’s being under the all-knowing eye of a Silicon Valley HR department. Everyone’s too afraid of offending someone these days. Only place you’ll find banter/ribbing near UK levels is in restricted access areas where the Fun Police can’t just walk in.

Soldato

Next annoying thing.

Where one has on-line shop accounts with an on line purchase history that mysteriously crash and do not seem to be resetable and one is told to open a new account and the old account information cannot be transferred over which means that ones account history is lost and no longer accessible! (#)

(Yes OCUK, I am talking to YOU! :p )

Hard copy has its advantages.

Yes tech support did say that you could send me copies of my account history, but that isn't the point really! On line stuff is great until it goes **** up. Then what do you do??! :(

Back
Top Bottom