• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

Soldato
Sadly me too. I had to return 6800xt for a refund due to issues not seen with my 1080Ti.
Reluctantly I then bought an MSI 3070 GPU and all was well.
I did find issues were typically related to some Indie games that I played and not AAA titles.

what annoyed me, was that I had the crashes on the desktop! not even under any stress / load!

Soldato
what annoyed me, was that I had the crashes on the desktop! not even under any stress / load!

Stability seemed ok with the 6800XT, it was how badly it performed in some titles, and it was poor.

I was looking forward to the 4080 being similar in price to previous x080 GPU's at launch, and whilst the performance uplift is decent the price isn't for me to consider it.

Soldato
Stability seemed ok with the 6800XT, it was how badly it performed in some titles, and it was poor.

I was looking forward to the 4080 being similar in price to previous x080 GPU's at launch, and whilst the performance uplift is decent the price isn't for me to consider it.

totally agree mate. and tbh, the 3070 performance isnt exactly crap!

Soldato
The Apple effect. I know people that would rather have 3-4 year old Apple phone than a top of the line Andoid phone :cry:

Lucky for me I do not suffer from such affliction. Like I have never had an iPhone, been on android for what seems like forever now. But on the other hand I love iPads and had at least 4 of them since they first came out :D

As for computer hardware I am happy to go Intel, AMD or Nvidia. Just go with what I fancy at the time. Have never felt like I was missing out when owning AMD GPU’s. The thing I dislike most about AMD GPU’s is they do not seem to keep their second hand price as well as Nvidia unless at the time they happen to be better at mining or something. I guess that is to be expected with such low mind and market share.

Did you do clean install of windows? Some seem to just give up after DDU. I have had loads of AMD cards and apart from the black screen issue some years ago never had any major problems.

Funny thing is that I don't get this with phones, nor any other PC parts, just the GPU lol. Another example would be kb's, thought I needed a Corsair something or other, took a punt on a £35 weird brand mech kb and been perfectly happy with it.

If the 4080 dropped below 1k I'd probably bite, but then I'd want the 4090 a few months later maybe.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
totally agree mate. and tbh, the 3070 performance isnt exactly crap!

Not at all and perfectly adequate for 1440p and even UW at 1440p. But I did want a working AMD card, the UI on their drivers is, imo, very nice and easy to use. On paper the 6800xt is a very decent card. But AMD's generalised support for some titles is not up there with what I have found with an Nvidia card.
In one Indie game I play a lot (over 1600 hours so far) the main Dev has a 2070, so difficult to test an AMD based system. I note several players posting issues with the latest AMD gen cards whilst playing that game.
As noted it did seem fine with the AAA titles I tested.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
As someone who has worked in IT since IT became a thing, I can assure you that if you are having issues with all your AMD GPUs... it is 100% user error.

Completely. If you head into the thread on here about nvidia drivers you will see plenty of people rolling back because random issues they experience. For some reason it doesn't stick (against nvidia) but the reality is any GPU is affected by drivers and system composition.

Last edited:
Associate
I guess I'm the only one whos happy with my 4080 having had a 4090?
Im happy with mine, more than I wanted to pay obviously but Im not surprised as Ive spent the last 2 years staring at 3080s being that price. That lead me to miss out on the 30 series entirely and have been on a 2070S since its release. Having just got the new Alienware OLED UW monitor I wanted something that would push it. Managed to get an FE edition, and looking at 4090s being out of stock / >£500 more (good luck getting an FE at MSRP for one of those), I just bit the bullet. £ / FPS is about the same and I'd probably CPU bottlekneck the 4090 anyways as I dont think Im going 4K anytime soon.

Associate
Im happy with mine, more than I wanted to pay obviously but Im not surprised as Ive spent the last 2 years staring at 3080s being that price. That lead me to miss out on the 30 series entirely and have been on a 2070S since its release. Having just got the new Alienware OLED UW monitor I wanted something that would push it. Managed to get an FE edition, and looking at 4090s being out of stock / >£500 more (good luck getting an FE at MSRP for one of those), I just bit the bullet. £ / FPS is about the same and I'd probably CPU bottlekneck the 4090 anyways as I dont think Im going 4K anytime soon.
I’m only on 1440p with a 12700k, I managed to get a 4090 at launch but the coil whine drove me insane so I sent it back. I didn’t wanna go AMD so I thought why not give the 4080 a try and so far it’s been brilliant. It’s quiet, runs everything at max and looks great so all in all I’m very happy.

Soldato
I’m only on 1440p with a 12700k, I managed to get a 4090 at launch but the coil whine drove me insane so I sent it back. I didn’t wanna go AMD so I thought why not give the 4080 a try and so far it’s been brilliant. It’s quiet, runs everything at max and looks great so all in all I’m very happy.

Hi. Im currently choosing between cards now as well. What make and model of 4080 card did you get? Also tempted to "downgrade" and put the savings else where. Kind of torn between another 4090 (the suprims where brilliant but had coil whine), a 4080 or a Saphire XTX. I'm very sensitive to coil whine.

Soldato

Nothing wrong with the 4080. If you already spent the money then its a nice cash-back option. And certainly a 4090 is overkill for 1440p.

Back
Top Bottom