• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

I think the performance uplift from 3080 to 4080 16gb is really good gen on gen increase just the pricing is ridiculous,

I refuse to pay over £750 so will be sticking with the 3080 .
This is my predicament, especially when you can get some half decent prices on used 3080's now that are still in warranty.

Would love a 4080 to run a solid 144fps in 1440p with Ultra, but just not worth it.

This is my predicament, especially when you can get some half decent prices on used 3080's now that are still in warranty.

Would love a 4080 to run a solid 144fps in 1440p with Ultra, but just not worth it.
You'd have been better off going for the £650 6900XT deal Gibbo had going the other day.

I would say though, and I am perhaps a bad example due to being a massive autist but I do 'get' the feeling wanting to stay with a familiar brand. I have this mental thing that NVIDIA is like, can't explain but familiar and more 'premium' so I am getting this horrible pull to getting a 4090/80, especially as I got triggered when my FPS fell to 80 in some game, despite the fact I was at Ultra on 1440pUW. That thought process is why they can afford to charge what they do. I just like NVIDIA, I could have a card performing the same as one, be cheaper and yet I am lured to the green side like a moth to a flame.

TLDR: Bargain 6900XT coming up in MM when I give in to my inner voices.

Last edited:
I would say though, and I am perhaps a bad example due to being a massive autist but I do 'get' the feeling wanting to stay with a familiar brand. I have this mental thing that NVIDIA is like, can't explain but familiar and more 'premium' so I am getting this horrible pull to getting a 4090/80, especially as I got triggered when my FPS fell to 80 in some game, despite the fact I was at Ultra on 1440pUW. That thought process is why they can afford to charge what they do. I just like NVIDIA, I could have a card performing the same as one, be cheaper and yet I am lured to the green side like a moth to a flame.

Hit the nail on the head for me. Even with a reinstall/DDU I've always come across issues, although a lot has changed since I last had an AMD GPU (Which was a 290x which I got out of an RMA when my 7850 kept causing me issues, which also kicked the dust :cry:)

The Apple effect. I know people that would rather have 3-4 year old Apple phone than a top of the line Andoid phone :cry:

Lucky for me I do not suffer from such affliction. Like I have never had an iPhone, been on android for what seems like forever now. But on the other hand I love iPads and had at least 4 of them since they first came out :D

As for computer hardware I am happy to go Intel, AMD or Nvidia. Just go with what I fancy at the time. Have never felt like I was missing out when owning AMD GPU’s. The thing I dislike most about AMD GPU’s is they do not seem to keep their second hand price as well as Nvidia unless at the time they happen to be better at mining or something. I guess that is to be expected with such low mind and market share.

yes, same boat here with amd cards.

Did you do clean install of windows? Some seem to just give up after DDU. I have had loads of AMD cards and apart from the black screen issue some years ago never had any major problems.

weird I must be lucky having owned 290 , 7850 , 5700xt and 6600xt and never came across issues also had 980ti , 3060ti and 3080 I know I had more older ones just these are the only ones I can remember also no issues I do prefer that you can tweak the AMD cards within AMD sofware without having to use MSI afterburner with nvidia cards its not deal breaker though

so with that experience I wouldnt be thinking about drivers would be who is offering me more for the money

Last edited:
I want to stay Nvidia :) I've always had issues every time I've gone AMD for GPU's.
I had so many issues with the Vega 56 I had I would rather stick to Nvidia for now also. It was cheap for the performance so I couldn't complain but still, having stuff like artefacts in Modern Warfare 2019 that took almost a year to get fixed was annoying.
Funnily enough I had no issues with 4870/6950/7950 over a decade ago.

The Apple effect. I know people that would rather have 3-4 year old Apple phone than a top of the line Andoid phone :cry:

Lucky for me I do not suffer from such affliction. Like I have never had an iPhone, been on android for what seems like forever now. But on the other hand I love iPads and had at least 4 of them since they first came out :D

As for computer hardware I am happy to go Intel, AMD or Nvidia. Just go with what I fancy at the time. Have never felt like I was missing out when owning AMD GPU’s. The thing I dislike most about AMD GPU’s is they do not seem to keep their second hand price as well as Nvidia unless at the time they happen to be better at mining or something. I guess that is to be expected with such low mind and market share.

Did you do clean install of windows? Some seem to just give up after DDU. I have had loads of AMD cards and apart from the black screen issue some years ago never had any major problems.

yeah, had a grey screening issue, reinstalled W11, to no avail. Put the new GPU in, done a total wipe again for the new card, so far so good..

Reactions: TNA
Not had any severe issues with either camp.

Did have some black screens with my 290x though, which I could never figure out as it was so random. That and undervolting settings always resetting every now and then in amd control panel.

Reactions: TNA
I had so many issues with the Vega 56 I had I would rather stick to Nvidia for now also. It was cheap for the performance so I couldn't complain but still, having stuff like artefacts in Modern Warfare 2019 that took almost a year to get fixed was annoying.
Funnily enough I had no issues with 4870/6950/7950 over a decade ago.

plus DLSS is a good bonus imo.

I want to stay Nvidia :) I've always had issues every time I've gone AMD for GPU's.

yes, same boat here with amd cards.

Sadly me too. I had to return 6800xt for a refund due to issues not seen with my 1080Ti.
Reluctantly I then bought an MSI 3070 GPU and all was well.
I did find issues were typically related to some Indie games that I played and not AAA titles.

Back
Top Bottom