• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7900 series review thread

I haven't kept up with all the latest info regarding these top-end offerings by AMD,
but I guess I was expecting a bit more performance overall, though I don't think it's too bad, to be fair.

Having said that, I've only seen one video review which focused on sixteen games, so it'll be interesting to revisit the numbers later on.

Early days, let things settle a bit, drivers mature, though if I were in the market for an RDNA 3 card, I'd probably be looking at the 7800 range.
A bit higher power draw numbers mentioned in the review than I guess I was expecting, but hey. Some of the RT performance increases weren't bad,
though, mainly when compared only to the 6950XT.

I may stick with the 3070 for now, if not, I'll grab a 6000 series card, most likely a 6800/XT.

Hi there

Sapphire MBA design is where 99% of our stock sits, available from 2pm tomorrow:
7900 XT @ £899
7900 XTX @ £1049

:)
Good thats exactly what i'm after! My Virigin is going down tomorrow, i'll be furious if it goes down just as 2 hits xD

How much stock do you have?

edit: Gibbo said over 1000.

Last edited:
Yeah Steve (Gamers Nexus) suggested an alteration to the fan curve is required, it's too aggressive too quickly. I suppose the user can make their own changes however the baked in profile should be fine. I had a 6950XT reference and it was super quiet in operation so I'm a bit shocked to see this for the reference cards.

AMD reference cards have always done two things badly:
- Stock fan curve - over aggressive
- Voltage too high!

Set a manual fan curve and undervolt the card slightly and the reference cards generally run quiet and gain a little performance boost too.

Both are poor for £1k+ and are closer to last gen than the 4090.

In reality these are just mid range cards and if I'm going to spend 1k on a GPU I expect premium performance, not some mid range marketed as high end.

This is it in a nutshell. There seems to be a consensus that the 7900 XTX makes the 4080 look good but that is frankly tripe. They are both decent GPUs at hidesouly poor prices.

Just because a 7900 XTX for £1050 is worse price/perf than a 4080, does not make the 4080 at £1150 a good deal. Both are overpriced by £350 at least.

Last edited:
I'm out after watching both the Gamers nexus and Digital Foundry Reviews. The coil whine on the 4090's on here was one thing, But did anyone else see the 7900 XTX nexus had, oh dear.
Digital foundry pretty much decided it for me, upgrading from a 3080ti isn't worth it. I just need a card that can max out at 120Hz @4k in most games. It seems only the 4090 can do it.

Funny, I always end up with an 80ti's Nvidia, 980ti,1080ti 3080ti, so.. 4080ti?.

Too close to the RTX 4080 and its RT is beyond terrible. Meh.

I've looked at a few reviews now, here is my take away:

1) AMD oversold the raster performance, the 7900xtx shows up as just 20-30% faster than rdna2 in many games. Only RT performance comes close to AMD's 80% improvement claim.

2) While RT improvement is good, it still means the 7900XTX is just on par with the 3090/3090ti.

3) The 7900XT is overpriced, the 7900xtx is significantly faster despite only costing 11% more, buying the 7900XT makes zero sense until AMD cuts the price by 10-20%.

4) The 7900XTX overall is a good GPU, it's on par with the RTX4080 in raster and costs less, but if you do care about RT games then well the 4080 is a better buy and not just for performance. In the 7900XTX's favour, we have not yet seen AIB card performance and it looks like there are driver issues, so these cards may get faster with improvements over the card's lifetime as AMD GPUs usually do.

5) Power efficiency, again, AMD way oversold this. RTX4000 is far more energy efficient in both raw numbers, power draw per frame and even idle. Overall the 7900XTX has some issues with power management that AMD needs to look at, up to 150w at IDLE is ridiculous and people in Europe with their exorbitant energy prices would not be happy

Last edited:
I've looked at a few reviews now, here is my take away:

1) AMD oversold the raster performance, the 7900xtx shows up as just 20-30% faster than rdna2 in many games. Only RT performance comes close to AMD's 80% improvement claim.

2) While RT improvement is good, it still means the 7900XTX is just on par with the 3090/3090ti.

3) The 7900XT is overpriced, the 7900xtx is significantly faster despite only costing 11% more, buying the 7900XT makes zero sense until AMD cuts the price by 10-20%.

4) The 7900XTX overall is a good GPU, it's on par with the RTX4080 in raster and costs less, but if you do care about RT games then well the 4080 is a better buy and not just for performance. In the 7900XTX's favour, we have not yet seen AIB card performance and it looks like there are driver issues, so these cards may get faster with improvements over the card's lifetime as AMD GPUs usually do.

5) Power efficiency, again, AMD way oversold this. RTX4000 is far more energy efficient in both raw numbers, power draw per frame and even idle. Overall the 7900XTX has some issues with power management that AMD needs to look at, up to 150w at IDLE is ridiculous and people in Europe with their exorbitant energy prices would not be happy
AIB pricing probably won't be great, unless the clock speeds are significantly higher.

There are a couple things most reviewers did not touch on so I had to look through quite a few before I found it.

Eventually I found the streaming and overclocking data.

* RDNA3 is much improved for streaming and its AV1 encoder is great. AV1 isn't widely supported yet so H264 still needs to be used until AV1 is added to software like OBS but once it is, then streaming on AMD will be comparable to Nvidia.

* While not as easy as it is on Nvidia, the reference 7900xtx can be tweaked; it's power limit can be increased to 410w and voltages can be modified - though only undervolting is possible because the reference cooler can't handle the heat, reaching as high as 100c. One reviewer was able to get an extra 6% performance from the 7900XTX by increasing the power limit and tweaking voltages. AMD also allows target clock speed to be changed but the reviewer found that going any higher than stock and the 7900xtx will just crash, so he left stock clocks and just increased power limit to 410w and slightly lowered voltage and that provided extra 6% performance

Price compared to the 4080 is about right
You pay less and get equal raster performance but far less RT performance

Both too expensive though and it's funny that AMD uses more power after they harped on about how efficient it is
about 50w-70w more than 4080, do you think if this could be a driver related issue?

about 50w-70w more than 4080, do you think if this could be a driver related issue?

It's possible that the high idle power draw, which can spike up to 150w can be fixed with drivers. But the issue where the power draw is much higher on rdna3 when playing non intensive games is likely a vbios thing. It's not unique, rdna2 did the same thing, it was just not noticed much because Nvidia was not power efficient but now they are so when you compare a 4080 and 7900xtx in non intensive games, such as esports or you compare at lower resolutions like 1080p or 1440p then the 4080 draws anywhere from 50w to 150w less power

Set a manual fan curve and undervolt the card slightly and the reference cards generally run quiet and gain a little performance boost too.
Good call, Kitguru got this info directly from AMD earlier;

image.png

I think what disappoints me most about this is that whilst cheaper it’s not really better value per frame/watt in any meaningful way compared to the RTX 4080.

This means that in terms of pricing we’ll likely see a RTX 4070 for £900-1000 and an RTX 4060 for ~£600.
So basically no sign of any sanity returning to the GPU market in terms of pricing any time soon.

Now a mid range RTX 4060 will likely cost more than an RTX 3080 launched for 2 years ago :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom