• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7900 series review thread

I think what disappoints me most about this is that whilst cheaper it’s not really better value per frame/watt in any meaningful way compared to the RTX 4080.

This means that in terms of pricing we’ll likely see a RTX 4070 for £900-1000 and an RTX 4060 for ~£600.
So basically no sign of any sanity returning to the GPU market in terms of pricing any time soon.

Now a mid range RTX 4060 will likely cost more than an RTX 3080 launched for 2 years ago :(
A 60 range card has never been mid tier its a budget card...

Too close to the RTX 4080 and its RT is beyond terrible. Meh.

This +

1. Power consumption in gaming - higher than a 4080
2. Multi monitor power consumption & video playback 2-4 times higher than 4080/4090 - just terrible
3. Noise. Reference designs much louder than even the 4090

That RT performance is just terrible - why would someone spending £1k+ on a GPU want to go without RT? May as well just get a console instead.

Last edited:
This is it in a nutshell. There seems to be a consensus that the 7900 XTX makes the 4080 look good but that is frankly tripe. They are both decent GPUs at hidesouly poor prices.

Just because a 7900 XTX for £1050 is worse price/perf than a 4080, does not make the 4080 at £1150 a good deal. Both are overpriced by £350 at least.
But you cannot find a normal sized 4080, the AIB s just dropped the 4090 cooler on it what is atleast 3.5 slot wide

He's likely talking about the UK pricing which Gibbo mentioned, said it was £1049 which is above MSRP if you consider the current exchange rate

The problem you have -

USA - 7900XTX = $1000 vs 4080 = $1200 - 20% more for the 4080 so the 7900XTX looks good in comparison thats a 20% premium for RT (Even when you factor in VAT which is added after)
UK - 7900XTX = £1050 vs 4080 = £1150 - 9% more for the 4080 so the 4080 starts to look better with only a 9% premium for RT

This +

1. Power consumption in gaming - higher than a 4080
2. Multi monitor power consumption & video playback 2-4 times higher than 4080/4090 - just terrible
3. Noise. Reference designs much louder than even the 4090

That RT performance is just terrible - why would someone spending £1k+ on a GPU want to go without RT? May as well just get a console instead.

So every single RTX 3090Ti owners has `terrible` Ray Tracing? Ok !

oh bless you. Thank you for saying 90% of this forum has `terrible ` Ray tracing.

Every GPU has terrible ray tracing compared to 4080/4090!

What's your opinion on the power consumption for multi-monitor and video playback? Or is your solution that 7900XTX buyers need to:

1. Not use RT
2. Use single monitor, else electricity prices mean that a 4080 wouldn't take too long to pay back itself
3. Not playback video, else electricity prices mean that a 4080 wouldn't take too long to pay back itself

So every single RTX 3090Ti owners has `terrible` Ray Tracing? Ok !

You need to remember it fits a narrative.

None of the 3090Ti, 7900 XTX, or the 4080 (or even the 4090) have playable FPS in extreme RT games at 4K, without resorting to upscaling. Every one of them must drop settings to cope, so that's why for me RT is still not essential, just "nice to have".

With a VRR monitor I only need to get 40+ (minimum) FPS to get playable performance. So having a 4080 over a 3080 in extreme RT games means nothing.

AMD you play stupid game you win stupid prizes. I don't know why you decided to rename this the 7900XT but that was a bad move, and AMD markerting strikes again with those graphs. No matter the performance the price was always bad to me.

Performance wise it is less than expected but still good it is slightly faster than the 4070 4080 16GB. Oh wait... That's a problem. Clearly there are issues with something, maybe the silicon, maybe the drivers but there is something wrong. You can clearly see hints at what it can achieve in certain games such as in MW2 or hitman or the outerworlds where it is nearly 40% faster than the 6950XT. RT performance landed right where everyone said it would land so no surprises there.

Now everyone is going to point to the rumour on the cards not being fully utilised that came out about a week ago (at a guess I would say the issue is with the dual FP32 not being used properly and not the MCM approaching being the problem), though everyone has forgotten the second half of the rumour, where it stated the issue was fixed for Navi 32. I will say what I said last time. The refresh for this card is going to be interesting. Technically the refresh for AMD and Nvidia will be really interesting but that is a different discussion.

The problem you have -

USA - 7900XTX = $1000 vs 4080 = $1200 - 20% more for the 4080 so the 7900XTX looks good in comparison thats a 20% premium for RT (Even when you factor in VAT which is added after)
UK - 7900XTX = £1050 vs 4080 = £1150 - 9% more for the 4080 so the 4080 starts to look better with only a 9% premium for RT
Indeed, not happy about the price but I'm looking for a GPU that will run very well on Linux and currently AMD is the only option for me for a flawless experience & my 5700 xt is overdue for an upgrade as it can't handle the ultrawide 1440p 144hz display so I will be getting tomorrow in time for the holidays

But I will say, while the pricing vs the 4080 is bad, don't forget the xtx has 8gb more ram than the 4080 which would be neat if you play heavily modded games like skyrim se or fallout

Last edited:
Nice to see the 7900xtx is 20% better on cost per frame than the 4080. Seems pretty consistent ahead on raster and even beats the 4090 in some instances. Rt is up around 4080 level at times but usually around 16% behind.

Nice to see the 7900xtx is 20% better on cost per frame than the 4080. Seems pretty consistent ahead on raster and even beats the 4090 in some instances. Rt is up around 4080 level at times but usually around 16% behind.

Unless the power consumption for idle, multi-monitor and video playback is fixed (it may not be, completely) then the 4080 will be a cheaper card to run overall.

I didn't see this one on the front page

Back
Top Bottom