• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 review thread

Soldato
I suppose a plateau is inevitable, companies are getting reluctant to keep pushing the envelope, as this costs a lot of money. They would much rather sell refresh after refresh, with minimal R&D outlay!
Precisely. Well at least AMD are giving us more core count is good for those folks doing well threaded productivity programs.

Soldato
Precisely. Well at least AMD are giving us more core count is good for those folks doing well threaded productivity programs.

Seeing as we get regular reports of the highest core count cpus selling hugely every single launch I don't believe AMD has found a limit to the number of cores that the market will buy.

Soldato
TR3 with 64/128 might start to steady the market a bit ;) :D

I have the feeling they won't. People with the means and the desire will keep on leeching tasks onto their personal desktops which were traditionally impossible to run there (due to not having a high clock speed 64c128t processor in a desktop).

Soldato
Kind of ironic really though, given that people expect to see reviews for free, no? I do see your point, but even back in the magazine buying days with all the reviews in there, they didn't buy the gear it was loaned or given to them.

Sell it after review and the net cost is low just need the capital available for purchases. Then got patreon etc.

The established reviewers are able to afford studios and get a full time living out of it so they are making money from somewhere. Some reviewers when looking at their lifestyles are clearly comfortable.

Soldato
OP
@MartinPrince

Puget Systems have published their Photoshop benchmarks:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1529/

pic_disp.php

Last edited:
Soldato
See now these ram speed results are confusing.

There are benchmarks showing that the difference between 3000MHz and 3600MHz aren't that huge.

Here tho the 1% lows show huge difference.

Here for example doesn't show a big difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
for example doesn't show a big difference.
I've found that the only review going over memory impact so far but it baffles me the choices of speed and timings they used to test - 2666 at C16, 3600 at C17 and 4000 at C20 and a 3200 C14 generally slower than 2666 at C16 which we know is not true.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-3900x-ram&num=3 which shows what we would expect and completely disproves the TP results. I can only assume they had some weird bios issue or simply didn't care about the timings? (I know its linux but it shows what the processor is truly reacting like imho and gives the expected 5-8% bump)

Soldato
I've found that the only review going over memory impact so far but it baffles me the choices of speed and timings they used to test - 2666 at C16, 3600 at C17 and 4000 at C20 and a 3200 C14 generally slower than 2666 at C16 which we know is not true.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-3900x-ram&num=3 which shows what we would expect and completely disproves the TP results. I can only assume they had some weird bios issue or simply didn't care about the timings? (I know its linux but it shows what the processor is truly reacting like imho and gives the expected 5-8% bump)

Ah yes. But those are workstation class tasks. I think games are far more reactive to memory speed.

At least that's what I thought?

Or rather one review put it like this: "Ryzen 3000 gaming performance is not as reactive to memory speed as Ryzen 1000 and 2000."

Last edited:
Associate
Yes you can believe Wendell @ Level1techs results. He is well respected in the tech press. You often seem him invited to appear on big tech Youtube channels such as Linus Tech Tips, Gamers Nexus etc. He really knows his stuff.

Soldato
See now these ram speed results are confusing.

There are benchmarks showing that the difference between 3000MHz and 3600MHz aren't that huge.

Here tho the 1% lows show huge difference.

Here for example doesn't show a big difference.

3rd link doesnt show lows thats why, just crappy avg's.
2nd link you didnt put in post so cant see.

When textures are been loaded from gpu memory ram wont help, but when they first loaded from disc ram performance can help, some games dont use the gpu at all for certain textures or data and those games are more likely to see larger differences such as lightning returns. (games with these characteristics usually dont get reviewed by reviewers).

Some games are coded in a mess like FF15 where all gpu textures are duplicated into ram, although I never tested FF15 performance to see if ram latency has any impact.

Also i dont think memory bandwidth helps with games, its more so latency, so what would help is people stopped doing 3000 vs 3600 tests but rather did CL12 vs CL14 vs CL16, CR timings etc. I know 3600CL14 latency is lower than 3200CL14 latency but it adds more confusion and unneeded variables. Especially when the latency is increased on the higher speeds.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Steve at Gamers Nexus doing one of his ridiculously in depth reviews of the 3800X vs 3700X cpu's, long story short he doesn't think the 3800X is worth it, your better of getting the 3700X & putting the cash difference into a better gfx card.

Back
Top Bottom