rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
well my i7 kit is all installed

having to wait to put it under water
basically missing the i7 mounting plate for my EK Supreme waterblock
bit annoyed about the wait

in the meantime i came up with an idea to get the system up and running so i can at least run it at stock...

DSC00521.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

just unplugged the pump as i need to drain my loop
the mounting plate of the ek supreme is held on by the same screws that hold the block together - so i need the block to be empty before i take the old plate off as i dont fancy sloshing Feser all over my new kit

so i didnt have to take the board out to mount the block i installed the original EK mounting hardware onto the P6T Deluxe
then i cut the pushpins from an unused stock i7 cooler at work and slotted it onto the chip
held it in place with the ek springs and screws

not a bad idea as when my waterblock is set up then i can easily change it over without having to upset the board etc

the i7 runs at stock at the moment as i dont want to overclock it on the stock cooler

max/min temps are good as it is
32'c idle
65'c load [prime 4 hours]

so its ok for gaming on and all that
hoping for a nice little drop with the watercooling and perhaps some headroom for a nice overclock

ran it through vantage and the i7 at stock thrashed my cpu scores from my E8600 [4.5GHz], Q9450 [3.2GHz] and Q6600 [3.6GHz]

im expecting it to do better when the water gets sorted ;)

motherboard temps are very very good
everything is very cool and is running at 3-5 degrees over the ambient temp

goes to show silverstone really arent messing with this positive airflow thing

also - found these interesting videos today that shows the effects of possitive pressure airflow from this case for anybody interested [bit geeky but still...]

VIDEO 1
VIDEO 2

Last edited:
Soldato
well my i7 kit is all installed

having to wait to put it under water
basically missing the i7 mounting plate for my EK Supreme waterblock
bit annoyed about the wait

in the meantime i came up with an idea to get the system up and running so i can at least run it at stock...

Your photography is amazing.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
it really really isnt [assuming no sarcasm... :D]

just a cheapo sony cybershot from the supermarket - nothing special - and i know jack all about photo compsition

my motto is that:
if you point camera at computer and picture of computer comes on the camera screen then all is good

Soldato
it really really isnt [assuming no sarcasm... :D]

just a cheapo sony cybershot from the supermarket - nothing special - and i know jack all about photo compsition

my motto is that:
if you point camera at computer and picture of computer comes on the camera screen then all is good

I wasn't being sarcastic.

The fact that you've done it with a cheap camera is even better. Your shots have come out much better and appear more 'solid' than many of the hardware photos on this forum.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I wasn't being sarcastic.

The fact that you've done it with a cheap camera is even better. Your shots have come out much better and appear more 'solid' than many of the hardware photos on this forum.

oh - cheers mate

must be the luck of the draw i guess
the 'auto' function on the sony cameras really do make it point and shoot

i only got one because i saw some photos taken by another member [Big.Wayne i think] of his rig and they looked great
so i went for that

like i say though - im a point and shoot kind of person! :D

I've been looking for a good build using this case. Glad I saw this one.

there is so much more you can do with it
its just really easy to keep neat
i build in cases all day that have such serious design flaws and its so refreshing to use one myself that just works a lot better

only problem is - i have a matching 280 to go in for SLI

but it doesnt fit - need to find a new place for the pump :(

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
heres the final i7 build with water installed

its priming as i type at 3.8ghz

using it for every day at that

but i have a 4GHz profile set up which im still tweaking - it boots fine
just crashes in vantage physx test and prime

so i guess its back to the drawing board on that

still learing what everything does at the moment but its easier to clock than a core2 imo

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

Soldato
The case is looking great. I'm just about to buy one myself, but I have a question that I think you could answer given that you are a system builder....

I noticed that the PSU needs to be installed with it's fan pointing down and it then draws air through the filter. I have a Zalman 850-HP, which as i'm sure you know is a lot longer than a standard unit. Will I run into any issues installing this? Will it get enough airflow etc? Does the filter go far enough back to cover the fan area on the Zalman?

Thanks

EDIT - Just looked at your pics again, and judging by how much filter is still visible beyond your PSU, then I think the answer to all of my questions is a resounding yes! Awesome, looks like this is going to be my next case :)

Last edited:
Associate
Very nice indeed, I'm loving the case, it's one of the nicest looking cases i've seen and by the sounds of it the build quality is up to Silverstone's usual high standards.

Just wondering, what are those videos trying to show, that airflow in that case is great even without the 120mm exhaust?

Anyway, good luck with the O/C, here's hoping you get it prime stable! :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
having a nightmare clocking this thing

so ive settled for 3.8 [dont need more than that]

anyway
with the imminent arrival of my new graphics card - i needed to make way for it and move my pump

the hard drive bays were the only thing stopping me
so i cut the large one in half and attatched it to the top of the bay struts

its more sturdy than i first imagined

means i can move the pump below it

and stick the second 280 in

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

Associate
Have you tried the current 280 in the lower PCI E slot, maybe it's just me, or the angle of that second photo, but it looks like you may be struggling for space above the top of the PSU.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
no its fine - i stuck my current card there to test it

currently have a 8800GTS there as a physx card atm

the good thing about the p6t is that with it not being a trisli board that you get a good clearence between the bottom card and top card so hopefully the airflow will be a bit better

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
i would sooner cut the case than sacrifice the ability to use a second card

besides
you get two hard drive cages

one holds 4 drives
one holds 3 drives
i only used the three drive cage
so i decided to cut up the 4 drive cage

it was very easy to do with a hacksaw :D