• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Threadripper 2 review thread

Soldato
I'm not supporting Windows it's been a pile of dung for decades. I'm just pointing out that what AMD have done with CPU's since the launch of Win10 is probably a decade ahead of what Microsoft thought possible.

I am not surprised Microsoft is getting caught with their pants down the last 18 months.

Soldato

Yeah saw this on the other thread... Thats similar to the Ryzen lunch. Still remember a lot of videos showing the RX580 dishing same FPS than the GTX1080 with the same Ryzen 1700X.
Thought after 18 months Nvidia could have fixed this, but for whom I am talking about..... Nvidia hasn't fixed the sound issue over DP & HDMI on many Freesync monitors since September 2016 drivers, nor their Gsync issues with many monitors and W10 Spring Update since March.

Soldato
I'm not supporting Windows it's been a pile of dung for decades. I'm just pointing out that what AMD have done with CPU's since the launch of Win10 is probably a decade ahead of what Microsoft thought possible.

Of course Windows has been dung for years, as has Intel and AMD for that matter. So MS has sat on it's fat backside and done sweet FA about looking to any future other than it's own. They certainly havn't even thought about as many cores as we have now. Thing is though Ryzen1 is over a year old.............they knew about that. In fact i'm shure they would have had access to all the data given to them well before the first release................the same would have happened with Ryzen2. MS chose to sit on that same backside they have once they had got the monopoly they have now, in much the same way Intel have. Once Intel start going backwards radically, MS will have no choice but to actually make Windows perform and use CPU's properly.

Soldato
Even Intel seems to benefit from Linux as I suspected. I would love to see the 7980XE and 2990WX benched together under Linux,and maybe the X599 platform too.:

Id love to see a fully functioning Intel part go up against AMD, but Intel have to dig themselves out of a hole first. It would still be interesting though.

Soldato
I guess the thing for me would be that the 2990wx is just behind the 7980xe in some applications right now, but significantly ahead in others. If you are buying a chip now that you expect to use for more than 18 months which do you think is going to show most improvement over that time?

The other thing to bear in mind is consumer education, the PCGamer review where they started to encode video in multiple formats at once is a great example. It is something you just wouldn't have done before and now you really let the machine stretch its legs doing that.

One other use case, you get to the end of a job and hit render/compile/encode. Is your CPU under load and you need to grab lunch or can you just start the next project with heaps more power left to run your applications?

It is left to see what the market does and how intels new behemoth does whrn that comes out.

The 1080ti vs Vega drivers in gaming is shocking. If I had to build a new workstation in the next few months I would be looking real close to see if that driver utilisation was also effecting Turing vs Vega in professional use cases.

Soldato
Listen to you lot, booh intel booh nvidia booh microsoft.
Why are you even in this hobby? LOL

Talk about missing the point. It is that for specific things where this said CPU works then those three companies don't do well (well Nvidia do but that is more the fact they don't work well with others).

The hobby might surprise you but has many options that give many solutions. In terms of Windows and Microsoft there are plenty of excellent alternatives to windows for a lot of power users so yeah they ignore Windows for what works for them and offers performance. You are saying just ignore when something is wrong and don't say anything and bury head in the sand?

Also I would say this is partially AMD at fault. They should be pushing much harder with companies to sort the software, they do have clout and yet nothing seems to happen for months after a product release. Even their own internal software doesn't support the 2990WX properly for instance. That is bad form. There are all issues all over the place. The point being made is that Microsoft in this case is the worst for the software based on the product and applications the chip is intended for. Intel have been short selling core count designs for a decade for profit margins because of lack of competition and Nvidia of course only have their interest in being number 1 and thus don't work with others unless it helps them.

Nothing knew but that doesn't change why we are here.

Associate
I work in HPC, and we deal with really big clusters. They always use Linux, I mean you can get a Windows HPC cluster but no one really takes them seriously. Linux has the stability, core management, and doesn't get buggy by being left on for a year at a time. I am surprised that the linux improvement in HEDT hasn't been talked about more before.

Soldato
Listen to you lot, booh intel booh nvidia booh microsoft.
Why are you even in this hobby? LOL

Because people are enthusiasts and not console users like yourself.

b6jtnP2hVKfRldBeNt0whP5P_yvMWTPClVPi39Z01KU.png

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjasonevangelho%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F08%2Fblender-test-1200x651.jpg

Also in relation to Nvidia...

https://translate.google.com/transl...wx-laeuft-mit-radeons-besser-1808-136016.html

Also is almost a year later and you still trying to justify your 8700K over your previous 1700X in the forum....
We know you regretted it, but please spare us.

Soldato
Because people are enthusiasts and not console users like yourself.

b6jtnP2hVKfRldBeNt0whP5P_yvMWTPClVPi39Z01KU.png

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjasonevangelho%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F08%2Fblender-test-1200x651.jpg

Also in relation to Nvidia...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.golem.de/news/32-kern-cpu-threadripper-2990wx-laeuft-mit-radeons-besser-1808-136016.html

Also is almost a year later and you still trying to justify your 8700K over your previous 1700X in the forum....
We know you regretted it, but please spare us.

This has nothing to do with my choice of CPU.
Rather it's the same old tripe about moaning about the 3 companies mentioned. As curlyriff has said, AMD must have seen this happening in their testing and have done nothing about it, it seems. They are not helping themselves.

Soldato
This has nothing to do with my choice of CPU.
Rather it's the same old tripe about moaning about the 3 companies mentioned. As curlyriff has said, AMD must have seen this happening in their testing and have done nothing about it, it seems. They are not helping themselves.

lol are you really serious with your reply? surely your trolling now?...

I doubt even AMD have the current power to make most software devs code for increased core amount... Intel still has the dominant position, until Intel catch up in the core wars why should the devs bother putting more effort into their software to harness more cores than required when the majority of users are still on Intel CPU's....

IF the market ever swings into AMD's favour and more cores being the norm, then yeah the software will be provisioned as such.. until then its like it or lump it pretty much.

Soldato

I doubt even AMD have the current power to make most software devs code for increased core amount... Intel still has the dominant position, until Intel catch up in the core wars why should the devs bother putting more effort into their software to harness more cores than required when the majority of users are still on Intel CPU's....

IF the market ever swings into AMD's favour and more cores being the norm, then yeah the software will be provisioned as such.. until then its like it or lump it pretty much.

Sounds like a poor business model to me.....

Soldato

The problem with this is that even AMD's own software fails to use the cores on the 2990WX. That is something they could have updated with to show off what is possible and to then they get a solid ground in the software side as well as the CPU.

And AMD is more than capable of talking to companies and running benches and helping them improve that software with their engineers. They do it all the time with drivers that get certified for that side of things. However their resources are likely the largest problem with this.

Back
Top Bottom