OcUK Xmas Programming Challenge

I'm up for a bit more coding after exams. What language you thinking ?
It was language independent last time, pretty sure you just gave the OP your program, he timed it (so each program ran on the same hardware) and the winner was based on quickest execution time (which if you want to win probably helps narrow your choices).

Awesome to see this happening again, wanted to take part in the first one but I think xmas festivities kept getting in the way, hopefully this time I'll be able to submit something :)

It was language independent last time, pretty sure you just gave the OP your program, he timed it (so each program ran on the same hardware) and the winner was based on quickest execution time (which if you want to win probably helps narrow your choices).

Awesome to see this happening again, wanted to take part in the first one but I think xmas festivities kept getting in the way, hopefully this time I'll be able to submit something :)

I don't think it was judged purely on execution time last year as some languages are closer than others.

Blackvault

Language independent again, and I certainly won't just use execution time as the sole criterion. Have got most of it sorted out now. Will post more when I have the time

Apologies about that, just read over it and code correct quality/efficiency was taken into account but I was thrown off as the fastest won :).

Looking forward to seeing the questions.

I'll be up for this, lets see how far a couple of months of A level computing can get me lol (VB6) lols.

Might use it as a reason to try and learn something better.

I'll be up for this, lets see how far a couple of months of A level computing can get me lol (VB6) lols.

Might use it as a reason to try and learn something better.

Yea I did something similar in my A-Level computing. I only started learning to program then and was taught with pascal followed by vb6/vb.net. Saw projecteuler.net (which I'm guessing might have similar problems to this challenge) and used vb.net for a few of the problems before I started learning a bit of python to solve some of the problems.

Great excuse to try another language.

Yea I did something similar in my A-Level computing. I only started learning to program then and was taught with pascal followed by vb6/vb.net. Saw projecteuler.net (which I'm guessing might have similar problems to this challenge) and used vb.net for a few of the problems before I started learning a bit of python to solve some of the problems.

Great excuse to try another language.

Our first year teacher for A level computing didn't even teach us much about programming, he was pretty useless and just let us get on with it. Most of the class ended up with D's and E's in the first year. We were saved in the second year by a teacher that had been there and done that many years previous in software design companies.

Luckily VB isn't that hard to pick up after reading some tutorials on the net and some trial and error.

I'd be up for trying this. I'm now learning for myself C# for some small projects at work.

Our first year teacher for A level computing didn't even teach us much about programming, he was pretty useless and just let us get on with it. Most of the class ended up with D's and E's in the first year. We were saved in the second year by a teacher that had been there and done that many years previous in software design companies.

Luckily VB isn't that hard to pick up after reading some tutorials on the net and some trial and error.

I'd be up for trying this. I'm now learning for myself C# for some small projects at work.

This would seem to be a common theme with A Level computing, my teacher was mostly incompetent and struggled with your coursework, I think 3 of 10 passed the class.

This would seem to be a common theme with A Level computing, my teacher was mostly incompetent and struggled with your coursework, I think 3 of 10 passed the class.

Well in the second year our teacher was very helpful and I ended up getting 92% in the coursework. Unfortunately the AS project pulled my grade down a lot...

Apologies for being so slack about getting this all sorted.
As well as being busy with work I'm currently in the process of moving house, which is taking up more time than I originally planned!!

Will see if I can get it sorted soon.

Apologies for being so slack about getting this all sorted.
As well as being busy with work I'm currently in the process of moving house, which is taking up more time than I originally planned!!

Will see if I can get it sorted soon.

Ah no worries mate, hope you get yourself sorted!

If people are getting a bit angsty and need a reason to program project euler is always there. Another place which is good if you fancy a random problem is reddit's daily programmer. They basically post up easy/medium/difficult problems and people solve these and post up their code. Very useful!

http://reddit.com/r/dailyprogrammer

Nice Jamie. I have done a bunch of exercises on code academy and up to exercise 12 on Learn Python the hardway so need something to work on. Still a complete noob mind but its all good fun :D

Back
Top Bottom