OCUK's new website

Caporegime
There's some decent logic to it from what I can see. On the main page the right hand content boxes have been broken down, some have moved to the left and the navigation has moved to the top. This leaves more horizontal space for the main content, promos and so on.

Plus, the categories navigation section was duplicated on the top navigation bar on the old site, which really wasn't necessary. They've managed to clear it up and keep it to the top only so as to cut down on the need for as many side content boxes as they had.

On product info pages they've completely got rid of the left and right content boxes.

This means that they have a lot more horizontal space to play with, whilst not having to actually increase the amount of horizontal space the layout takes up.

The new product info pages are actually better in terms of function compared to the old ones. All the information is presented in a much neater format and overall it looks a lot cleaner.

In my opinion, it would be much better if

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components

was the landing page (root page, whatever). The "PC Components" tree on the left side is a much better design than a JavaScript pop-out menu.

A little JS can be used to great effect, but I think mouse-over pop-out menus are more awkward to use than static links.

Soldato
OP
I quite like it.Looking in my order history though, it only goes back to Nov 2014, whereas the old sight had info going back to 2012, which was quite useful to check for warranties etc. Am I missing a way of finding earlier orders or have they been done away with?

I see my orders from 2011. It seems only the last 10 orders are shown.

You could always ask customer service to email all previous invoices as I've done in the past.

OcUK Staff
I quite like it.Looking in my order history though, it only goes back to Nov 2014, whereas the old sight had info going back to 2012, which was quite useful to check for warranties etc. Am I missing a way of finding earlier orders or have they been done away with?

Hi Uther I think this may be because the paginator is not showing up, try putting ?sPage=2 at the end on your account page like this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/account/orders?sPage=2

if thats why will try and fix asap

Soldato
As long as it can be turned off then yeah. Personally I hate 9/10 mobile "optimised" sites. My phones big enough for a desktop view.

Yep we are XD, not my design but about two years of work went in to making it work :)

Good, glad I'm trying to be nice :D.

I think spoffle nailed it with the gradients being out of sync.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm struggling to find anything positive beyond "well, it looks more visually coherent than the old one", I'm afraid :(

It's a barely passable experience on a tablet, and downright unpleasant on even a large smartphone.

I'm stunned that it's not a responsive, touch-friendly design in this day and age. Even discounting the user experience [!], Google won't look favourably on this.

Opportunity missed by a wide margin, guys, sorry :(

Last edited:
Associate
love the new site

I log on this morning at work and what do i see....i thought i had gone to the wrong site at first but hey i like the new site layout

Man of Honour
I loved it to start with. But as the night has turned to morning and as I've had a few more glasses of wine I'm finding the red a bit overpowering. I like the sit but the contrast betwen red and blue is a bit too strong.

Back
Top Bottom