OCUK's new website

Soldato
What's with all the dramatic language in this thread? Very nasty? Horrible? Very poor?

Are you a person who claims the mundane is "amazing"? You very much seem to be.

I worry for you that you even need to try to point this out. None of that language is even emotely "dramatic".....

Soldato
The reason I asked is because when you really think about it, people use "I like" and "professional" interchangeably.

It doesn't look unprofessional, because that isn't really a look outside of it being an utter mess (from an objective perspective).

Instead, it just seems people preferred the previous layout.

That's not to say it's above criticism, as it certainly isn't. There's plenty I would change but I really don't think it lacks professionalism as that doesn't really make any sense.

You're right. I'm trying to be polite with my descriptions at the same time as getting my point across as I'm sure the designer would be reading threads like this. Don't want to offend someone when I probably couldn't do better.

Soldato
Nice. is a big undertaking for a forum of this size.

Have they hinted as to what they will be using?

VB is almost a dead duck now.

No, just that they're moving away from VB.

I worry for you that you even need to try to point this out. None of that language is even emotely "dramatic".....

The fact that you "worry for me" shows that you have completely lost touch with the words that you choose to use.

Go and Google "very nasty" and "horrible", click the images tab and then tell me that you're not being dramatic by using those words about some website graphics that you dislike.

Soldato
It's okay. More so when you start browsing for stuff.

The front page is great untill you scroll down, and then, idk what it is? Too much white or something like that?

EDIT: oh, yeah it feels SCAN like when scrolling down on front page.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're right. I'm trying to be polite with my descriptions at the same time as getting my point across as I'm sure the designer would be reading threads like this. Don't want to offend someone when I probably couldn't do better.

Hey, it's easy enough really. It's just because I personally dislike phrases such as "professional" when it makes no sense contextually.

Part of what I do work wise revolves around putting together websites and graphics so I have to deal with this sort of thing anyway and I would personally be annoyed if someone say something I'd done wasn't professional because it wouldn't tell me anything about what they thought was wrong with it.

Straight to the point is what works best. For example, there are too many gradients on the site making it look overly busy, and there's quite a large disparity between the gradients they've used.

Some are very subtle, and others are quite pronounced which makes it look disjointed.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Too much grey. Stands out against the otherwise nice colour scheme.

Hate to say it, but it reminds me of those awful replacement Windows Explorer apps, with tabbed browsing and pointless menus.

Less is more!

Soldato
Anyone else other than you who reads my post will be able to see what my opinion is and then go on and also read my personal suggested improvements. I even uploaded a quick screenshot, so I think it's a bit more than non-useful whinging.

Let us even go to the point of saying, that in this thread, I have been a lot more constructive and helpful than you have, as all you have done is nitpick people for using certain words you don't agree with. Since you do graphicy stuff in the real world, maybe you should concentrate on bringing those skills to the table and commenting, instead of nitpicking people at 1am for their use of the English language.

If I am being dramatic, it is in relation to the topic at hand, clearly. Whereas you are being dramatic for the sake of being dramatic.

I didn't Google those words you commanded me to. Mostly because I don't use Google but also because I don't give a ****.

Caporegime
New site is harder to use/navigate.

What was the point in freeing up the left side, only to fill it with social media crap?

People on OcUK generally want to browse and buy products, not faff around with Twitter and Facebook.

If it ain't broke...

This. The old site was a great example of efficient design. It was very very easy to use. Function over form every day. The more you have to use a site, the less the "prettyness" appeals, and the more you appreciate just being able to get things done.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else other than you who reads my post will be able to see what my opinion is and then go on and also read my personal suggested improvements. I even uploaded a quick screenshot, so I think it's a bit more than non-useful whinging.

Let us even go to the point of saying, that in this thread, I have been a lot more constructive and helpful than you have, as all you have done is nitpick people for using certain words you don't agree with. Since you do graphicy stuff in the real world, maybe you should concentrate on bringing those skills to the table and commenting, instead of nitpicking people at 1am for their use of the English language.

If I am being dramatic, it is in relation to the topic at hand, clearly. Whereas you are being dramatic for the sake of being dramatic.

I didn't Google those words you commanded me to. Mostly because I don't use Google but also because I don't give a ****.

The real world? Are we in Pretend Land at the moment or something?

If you want to claim I've not said certain things then at least make sure you've read my posts.

I'm not actually being dramatic, I'm suggesting that your use of dramatic words doesn't help anyone.

Claiming someone's work is very nasty and horrible isn't really going to do much other than annoy them.

As for not caring, well that's clearly not true.

Soldato
New site is harder to use/navigate.

What was the point in freeing up the left side, only to fill it with social media crap?

People on OcUK generally want to browse and buy products, not faff around with Twitter and Facebook.

There's some decent logic to it from what I can see. On the main page the right hand content boxes have been broken down, some have moved to the left and the navigation has moved to the top. This leaves more horizontal space for the main content, promos and so on.

Plus, the categories navigation section was duplicated on the top navigation bar on the old site, which really wasn't necessary. They've managed to clear it up and keep it to the top only so as to cut down on the need for as many side content boxes as they had.

On product info pages they've completely got rid of the left and right content boxes.

This means that they have a lot more horizontal space to play with, whilst not having to actually increase the amount of horizontal space the layout takes up.

The new product info pages are actually better in terms of function compared to the old ones. All the information is presented in a much neater format and overall it looks a lot cleaner.

OcUK Staff

Yep we are XD, not my design but about two years of work went in to making it work :)

Soldato
I quite like it.Looking in my order history though, it only goes back to Nov 2014, whereas the old sight had info going back to 2012, which was quite useful to check for warranties etc. Am I missing a way of finding earlier orders or have they been done away with?

Soldato
I quite like it.Looking in my order history though, it only goes back to Nov 2014, whereas the old sight had info going back to 2012, which was quite useful to check for warranties etc. Am I missing a way of finding earlier orders or have they been done away with?

It's entirely possible that they just haven't finished moving over all the database entries yet.

Back
Top Bottom