OCUK's new website

Caporegime
A lot of customers also love the new site and business is actually up on the previous weekend which is a huge surprise considering the site had so much downtime.

We are sure in a months time just like the last time we did a website update everyone will love it and will be for sure prefer it compared to the previous site.

It is extremely powerful software that has a lot more backend/technical ability our previous site could never do, hence the upgrade. :)

From the numerous threads and comments I've read it appears that an awful lot of forum members (customers too!) hate it though, whilst it's good news that sales are not affected which I'm all for I can't help thinking the look is just wrong.

The simplicity of the old site was a huge strength and advantage for the business over its competition whilst I don't doubt the old site needed beefing up in its technical ability, I can't help thinking the new one goes too far.

Improve the background ability by all means, of course, but I'd love to see it simplified - with an option perhaps to go more in depth for those that wish to do so.

I hope I grow to like it, but I don't at present still, and it's still naff on my phone and tablets but does seem a little better on my desktop rig.

Soldato
Why was this moved to general hardware?

So less people would see it :p

A lot of customers also love the new site and business is actually up on the previous weekend which is a huge surprise considering the site had so much downtime.

We are sure in a months time just like the last time we did a website update everyone will love it and will be for sure prefer it compared to the previous site.

It is extremely powerful software that has a lot more backend/technical ability our previous site could never do, hence the upgrade. :)

I know I won't. It has nothing to do with getting use to it either, it just looks cluttered and well a bit meh. In fact, it looks like one of your competitors website in more ways than one, not very original really when you're trying to stand out from the crowd.

Last edited:
Associate
Not a fan at all. It's a pain to navigate around and generally has the same visual impact as a cheap (torrid!) domain squatter web page.

Good job lads though, must have been worth the effort or something.

Soldato
So less people see it would be my guess.

Not that it will make any difference, I know a number of people who either couldn't place an order, due to the new site being completely unusable, or wouldn't place an order due to the site being a pain to navigate (or just turned them away completely).

quite the opposite it's much less likely to get buried here than in GD where it could be on the third page in a few hours.

Soldato
Really can't be bothered to go through all the thread, but in my view the new site is a big mess!! There is far too much clutter and too many buttons to click on.

There are many different types of list columns on the left hand side- Adverts, the blue bundle/config buttons, OCUK extra and OCUK world. This is confusing when you're scanning for the button you want in a sea of buttons. This area should only be used to show a list of component types. clicking on a component and it giving a list of sub types or filters without hiding all the other component types was great. It was easy to go from Motherboards to CPUs without having to go back to a root menu. You could middle mouse click to open several types at once.

The cycling banner of adverts should go over the whole width of the page. This would show it is a banner of hot items/ads whatever. It would also remove some of the confusion on the left column.

When browsing products Everything is given the option to filter by brand (and I get it, brands sell) Why not also something useful like socket type VRAM amount etc?

Comparing the new site to a competitor, the competitor has a clear header with search, one row of buttons listing the types of products they sell, one full width banner and then general icons of products they sell for browsers to look at.

Last edited:
Associate
What software are you using?

Will be Shopware, same as caseking.

As I said earlier - No arguments about the system, OCUK obviously know the backend improvements much better than any of us could. From a theme perspective though, some simple tweaks will fix the 'garishness' people have complained about, but the lack of a responsive design to allow for touch/large resolution would be worth some time invested.

PS. @ Gibbo / TwsT / Staff - Left you some bugs in the website bug forum, should I be putting them into the new website bug page instead?

Associate
awful tbh, bring back the old one, looked a lot better imo

deals didn't last long either,

250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5 SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive *PROMO 1 PER CUSTOMER*

and sold out straight away "apparently this item is not available anymore" yea you mean it was only for the first 10, what a con

Back
Top Bottom