Oculus Go - Oculus unveils $199 stand-alone VR headset "Oculus Go"

Associate
I really don't get where people are coming from by saying this lesser device will turn people off VR. Elitist minds?

I'm sure no one wanted a DAB radio after hearing how bad Long Wave receivers were, right? or FM for that matter. nah, no one wants HD TV's cos standard def was soo blurry, right! Come on, come at me! Tell me I'm wrong! ;)

Soldato
I really don't get where people are coming from by saying this lesser device will turn people off VR. Elitist minds?

I'm sure no one wanted a DAB radio after hearing how bad Long Wave receivers were, right? or FM for that matter. nah, no one wants HD TV's cos standard def was soo blurry, right! Come on, come at me! Tell me I'm wrong! ;)

everything you listed were better replacements though? This has it's place (I think). It's for those customers who want a gearVR device without having to plug their phone into it. Now I'm not sure how many people that is, but I'm sure there will be more than one. I've tried a gearVR, it was crap.

imho, the product is two years too early....so long as it doesn't damage consumer confidence which is my issue with it

https://www.roadtovr.com/qualcomms-...-boasts-eye-tracking-high-res-high-framerate/

Soldato
overall the reviews for the go are all really positive. it is not for me as i have a high end pc and a rift, but i definitely see this as a possible gateway into VR. its far better than google cardboard and far cheaper than gearVR.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/oculus-go-review/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-go-standalone-vr-headset,5597.html

https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2018/5/1/17284454/oculus-go-review

more importantly the folk who have got one on the official oculus forums are posting that they are pleased with their devices..... and even the rifters seem to generally think the GO is better than they expected.

Associate
everything you listed were better replacements though? This has it's place (I think).

You're right. but also, look at mp3 music. shoddy quality but hit the mass market exactly where it wanted. I still buy CD's for the higher quality bitrates, but mp3's came later, an inferior quality, but just easier to use. So they took over. (and now i have to pay an even bigger premium for WAV downloads too, grrr!)

Soldato
I've already got a high end gaming PC with Rift but I've ordered the go. Might be handy to watch plex content in bed.
"Plex content" Wink wink say no more. ;)
94e.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
I would love one of these for watching Netflix and other video services. I think the limited DOF means that I'd be unlikely to use it for games though, given that I have a Rift with 3 sensors.

Associate
I can't help but think that devices like this (that people are more likely to buy with a lower entrance price) are going to do more harm than good to VR overall

I don't think it will harm anything. A DK1, with its awful res, probably 50ms or so lag for the rotational tracking, and horrific motion blur when turning you head convinced me VR was here to stay, and also blew away most people I showed it to just using the Tuscany demo and the old Castle Coaster.

You've got to remember that a majority of people still haven't tried VR and I think this will be good enough to at least put it on their radar. The worst thing about mobile VR is the flood of awful 360 videos, which can instantly give people the wrong impression of what VR is.

For those of us with Rifts or Vives, ok, it's a step back, but for someone curious about VR, $200 isn't a lot to ask if they don't have the prerequisite phone, or a PC/PS4 to buy higher end headset.

Associate
I don’t see the point in this, where I can it’s potential for watching media, the short battery life makes binge watching a box set or a long film a no no. Gaming is also out of the question with its single remote and it being 3dof.

I’m firmly in the ‘do more harm than good to VR’ camp, some people will buy this thing thinking it’s basically just a cheap Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, the same people who say they HAVE tried VR, and wasn’t impressed and when you ask them which one? They say “the one you put a phone in”

Soldato
I don't think it will harm anything. A DK1, with its awful res, probably 50ms or so lag for the rotational tracking, and horrific motion blur when turning you head convinced me VR was here to stay, and also blew away most people I showed it to just using the Tuscany demo and the old Castle Coaster.

You've got to remember that a majority of people still haven't tried VR and I think this will be good enough to at least put it on their radar. The worst thing about mobile VR is the flood of awful 360 videos, which can instantly give people the wrong impression of what VR is.

For those of us with Rifts or Vives, ok, it's a step back, but for someone curious about VR, $200 isn't a lot to ask if they don't have the prerequisite phone, or a PC/PS4 to buy higher end headset.

This 100%. Everyone seems to forget that for a lot of VR enthusiasts the original DK1 didn't turn people off, it made them eager for more.

But it wasn't just enthusiasts - I still have friends and family asking me to show people demos I showed them on the original DK1. They thought it was fantastic, and have nothing but positive memories about it.

I also agree that it's not the hardware that's going to give people the wrong impression, it's the content.

Low quality 360 degree videos that seem to penetrate trade show and public demos are what has the potential to really put people off.

I don’t see the point in this, where I can it’s potential for watching media, the short battery life makes binge watching a box set or a long film a no no. Gaming is also out of the question with its single remote and it being 3dof.

I’m firmly in the ‘do more harm than good to VR’ camp, some people will buy this thing thinking it’s basically just a cheap Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, the same people who say they HAVE tried VR, and wasn’t impressed and when you ask them which one? They say “the one you put a phone in”

When they say "the one you put a phone in" remember that there's more than one version of this. The GearVR (that you assume they might have tried) is a well made piece of kit with additional hardware that supplements the phones tracking and when combined with some of the better phones and the right content (i.e. not low quality 360 degree videos) can be really quite good.

BUT there's also loads of google cardboard clones out there that are actually made from plastic and don't have the additional hardware. Typically, because the experiences on these devices is so low quality, the "go to" demos are 360 degree videos with choppy framerates, low resolution and when combined with awful tracking THAT's when you get people complaining that VR is bad.

I mean I challenge anyone that doesn't know the difference between mobile VR and the Rift/Vive to see the difference between these two headsets. The one on the left is £14... the one on the right is £99 and includes the Oculus IMU hardware.
BxlVPhC.png

The Oculus GO beats the Rift and Vive (although I don't think the Pro) in terms of screen quality and ease of use.

The one limitation is 6DOF, but when you break it down, I've got plenty of flight sims, racing games, platformers and video content that I can play and watch for hours without moving my head. Don't get me wrong, when you put it on and immediately focus on it's flaws it's going to be glaring, but if you just sit back and enjoy I can imagine it being perfectly fine.

Saying that, I also agree the battery life is a killer :(

If it did three hours on a charge meaning I could watch almost any movie I want without issue I'd be snapping one up...

Still, John Carmack has said it's fine to use while plugged in to charge - obviously it half defeats the point, but it's obviously still a lot more flexible in terms of where you can use it.

I feel I just want to try one first to see if the screen resolution bump is enough not to annoy me.

Soldato
Ok, for example, i know several people who felt so sick after trying DK1 and 2 that they said "yeah its kinda cool but it makes me feel sick so i can't buy one". I managed to talk one of these in to trying the rift and managed to change their mind, but the other 2 flat out refuse to even try VR again. This Go has a refresh rate of 72hz, which is below the threshold for most people. Something that makes you want to hurl is a show stopper for most people.

Obviously this is anecdotal but it shows to me that there is real potential to put people off VR. Even gear VR has 90hz, so quite what Oculus are playing at is bizare tbh.

Associate
The Oculus Go powers up fast, at the press of the button. When the battery is fully charged it runs between 2 and 2.5 hours of passive watching video or between 1.5 and two hours of gaming. The problem is that the charging time is longer. You can wait for up to three hours. That's a serious negative - excuse the pun!...

Associate
Battery life is just about good enough, looking at screens for longer then an hour at a time isn't the best idea anyway

Soldato
Do you know what, i googled it and the first thing that came up said it was 90hz, clicking on a few more links and the flip flop between the two without saying which phone they are referring to.

The Oculus GO can run in either 60, or 72Hz - which is kind of like an overdrive mode that allows games that are well designed to run at higher frame rates.

I'll try and found a reputable source.

EDIT: Found one, the Oculus Developers pages :)

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/optimizing-oculus-go-for-performance/

It normally runs in 60Hz mode but developers can choose to run in 72Hz.

You'll get reduced battery life for apps that run in 72Hz with the advantage being obviously better fidelity.

Also, 72Hz was partly chosen due to it being a multiple of 24, making it a good choice if viewing 24fps videos and it turns out developers can allow the user to switch between 60/72hz during gameplay.

Last edited:
Associate
I feel I just want to try one first to see if the screen resolution bump is enough not to annoy me.
Mine arrives tomorrow. I have a Rift and PSVR, so can post my own comparison of the screen quality if you're interested after I've given it a go.

I really didn't have any need to buy one apart from wanting a new toy really, though I guess I can now hassle people about VR outside of my own home ;)

Back
Top Bottom