Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Not sure whether you understand BUT USE VIRTUAL DESKTOP !!!!! No need for a cable or Oculus link then !!!!
I've played Steam VR and Oculus games via Virtual Desktop OUTSIDE in the garden and in my garage.

The quest has a boundary "wall" so you map the floor space with the controller, bit like spraying a painted area on the floor. Then when you step near the boundary it becomes visible in-game then when you step outside the boundary you can SEE your surroundings via the external cameras so you cant bump into things or fall because you can see the "real world".

O h. When you first mentioned virtual desktop, I kinda overlooked it, as my mind first went to Virtual Desktops (Virtualbox), not a Quest app. If it has strong performance, then that would appear to seal the deal for the Quest. Just got to decide on a comfort mod.

Associate
Virtual desktop needs a bit of technical know how no? I haven't tried but I am thinking about it. Nearly all wifi devices are on the 5Ghz band and my PC isn't connected via ethernet and I think Oculus Home games need revive which I have never tried. Sounds like it's worth it though.

Associate
Virtual desktop needs a bit of technical know how no? I haven't tried but I am thinking about it. Nearly all wifi devices are on the 5Ghz band and my PC isn't connected via ethernet and I think Oculus Home games need revive which I have never tried. Sounds like it's worth it though.
There's other options than Virtual Desktop which do the same job (EG, ALVR V7). Link will likely provide more consistent quality (Due to being a direct connection, using Optical Fiber IIRC for the official cable, compared to wireless which can vary based on circumstance). However, considering my space issue, they should do the job very nicely- while saving me some cash.

Soldato
My Oculus Quest is connected via wifi 2.4ghz. My PC via gigabit ethernet. You buy virtual desktop from Oculus Quest store to get the licenced copy. Do not install it. Setup Sidequest (this also allows you to side load other apps and games, eg custom songs for Beat Saber), Install Virtual Desktop via Sidequest on Oculus Quest. Install Virtual Desktop on your PC. Then all you need to do each time to play is - run VD on your PC. Run Virtual Desktop on Quest and it connects to your PC. You can now see your desktop PC with the Quest headset on (this is kind of cool and weird at the same time). Install Steam VR then run a SteamVR or Oculus game and play it. Virtual Desktop settings as different options so you can lower or higher the quality depending on your connection.

Its really easy. I've actually had more problems with Oculus Link, it not starting properly, the app crashing all the time, games not working with it (its in beta I suppose). I compared a few games with the link and via Virtual Desktop and I cant tell the difference much apart from slight lag sometimes. I tried ALVR but this wouldnt work and crashed. There are others including a commercial one cant remember what its called which is about £15.

Last edited:
Associate
Main problem now is FINDING one haha. Only one I've found is someone selling it personally on the other side of the country; Sold out at all the retailers.

Soldato

Virtual desktop is pretty much as straight forward as it gets, very user friendly and slick integration.

Works great for me 99% of the time, but I do get a weird stutter every now and again...haven't yet tracked down the problem. Hard to go back to wired once you've got used to the freedom of wireless though!

Now that they have Link up and running, I'm hoping some enterprising company will come up with a super low latency USB wireless dongle for it.

Soldato
Main problem now is FINDING one haha. Only one I've found is someone selling it personally on the other side of the country; Sold out at all the retailers.

Pity the B Grade OCUK ones have gone, there were 3 left when I bought mine got £40 off when it turned up all seals were still intact and it was brand new. Still had plastic covers on lenses.

Associate
So I took the plunge and got a quest for myself over christmas, been playing about in link mode and whilst it connects okay my setup is really at the lowest of the lower end of the recommended specs...

i5 3570K
GTX 970
8gb of Ram

Can anyone recommend and quick fixes for between £100-200 that would help get the quality of the link experience up a few notches? I've been out of "The game" for a while now and can't really afford a full rebuild.

Cheers
Sam

Associate
Your CPU is plenty good enough as is your ram. I think the Link image quality - colour, image compression - will already be as good as it'll be at this stage.
So a graphics card upgrade is your best bet for improving the usual things depending on the game, ie improve that framerate to hold 72 frames per second, improve lighting effects.
GPU upgrade will depending on your power supply, I'll let others advise on what's the best value for money at the moment.

Soldato
So I took the plunge and got a quest for myself over christmas, been playing about in link mode and whilst it connects okay my setup is really at the lowest of the lower end of the recommended specs...

i5 3570K
GTX 970
8gb of Ram

Can anyone recommend and quick fixes for between £100-200 that would help get the quality of the link experience up a few notches? I've been out of "The game" for a while now and can't really afford a full rebuild.

Cheers
Sam

You are going to struggle on that budget as the 970 still is equivalent of what a current sub £200 GPU would give you now. The best GPU you can get for Nvidia is below this will give you a bit of a boost over the 970.

GTX 1660 Super
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...nvidia/geforce-gtx-1660-super?sPage=1&sSort=3

Anything else and you need to add at least another £100 for a 2060 or 5700 which would give you a bigger upgrade. You would need to go for one of these and then see if you can sell the 970 for £100 to get back to your budget.

Associate
You are going to struggle on that budget as the 970 still is equivalent of what a current sub £200 GPU would give you now. The best GPU you can get for Nvidia is below this will give you a bit of a boost over the 970.

GTX 1660 Super
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...nvidia/geforce-gtx-1660-super?sPage=1&sSort=3

Anything else and you need to add at least another £100 for a 2060 or 5700 which would give you a bigger upgrade. You would need to go for one of these and then see if you can sell the 970 for £100 to get back to your budget.

Thanks Bud, Might hold on a couple of months then so I can drop a bigger sum on it!

Soldato
I've been contemplating upgrading my geforce 980 and as others have said you really need to spend £300-400 to get something that's a worthwhile upgrade for VR. A RTX 2070 for £350 is what I've been considering. Though I'm wondering whether to wait another 3-4 months to see what the RTX 3000 series cards are like ?

How does the virtual desktop WiFi link compare to running it over USB using the official Oculus link app. Is there much difference?

Soldato
I've been contemplating upgrading my geforce 980 and as others have said you really need to spend £300-400 to get something that's a worthwhile upgrade for VR. A RTX 2070 for £350 is what I've been considering. Though I'm wondering whether to wait another 3-4 months to see what the RTX 3000 series cards are like ?

How does the virtual desktop WiFi link compare to running it over USB using the official Oculus link app. Is there much difference?

I'd wait. You're in a goos position in thatr you have a device which doesn't require your PC anyway to have fun with.

I wouldn't upgrade GPU just for VR. VR matures and gets better. Its never a bad decision to wait. Game prices come down, headset software and optimisations get better and headset hardware gets better too.

Associate
I bought a Quest; If I had bought it just a day earlier, I could have expected it to be ready to deliver by Monday. Now, I'll have to wait until the 20th.

Unfortunately, the Deluxe Audio Strap is End-Of-Life, so is no longer sold at retailers- and people on Ebay are overcharging for it (Some are charging more than the retail price with the headphone component removed!)

Any alternatives that could be suggested? With the DAS out of the picture, I definitely want to be able to use my headphones now, so preferably something that doesn't go too close to the ears.

Back
Top Bottom