Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
Its not actually an "Independent app" when you run the game it launches Steam VR so its designed and dependent on Steam. It does work on the Quest via Virtual Desktop or the Oculus Link. Therefore will work on other headsets in theory the same way using Steam VR.

Soldato
Its not actually an "Independent app" when you run the game it launches Steam VR so its designed and dependent on Steam. It does work on the Quest via Virtual Desktop or the Oculus Link. Therefore will work on other headsets in theory the same way using Steam VR.

The guy who developed it stated at the time only that it would work on the rift (CV1) which I have. So for me it fires up the oculus software.

As a contributor to the EagleLander forum, I'm picking the brains of the guys here to pass on the
EL forum. @lokiss has already provided helpful info on how it performs with the Index.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got both SteamVR and Oculus App and as its based on the Unity Engine using OpenVR API it makes a call to SteamVR. Bit surprised the guy who developed it and used the OpenVR API is saying it would only work on the Rift.

Anyway have a read at this

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/wiki/API-Documentation

OpenVR Api is found in ..\ELVRF3\Eagle Lander VR_Data\Plugins

Maybe he was only saying that because he only had a Rift to test it on.

Soldato
Ah, the nuances of the English language. My bad. The Dev only said that it would work on the oculus, not that it would only work on the oculus. When it was first released there was only the CV1 and the vive. And you're probably right that he didn't have another headset to try it on. Vive users have to use revive to get it working.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just bought both from the Ubisoft Store after the DLC went out of stock at Green Man Gaming, only came to 11.91 with the 20% discount.

Was able to then also download the Quest version no problems.

Not available now on the Ubisoft Store, but is available on Fanatical Games - my bro has bought a Quest and wanted Star Trek. Was originally disappointed when we looked on Ubisoft and found it wasn't available, but was happy once we located both on Fanatical Games - less than ten quid in total.

Soldato
Cheers ! I've sacked off Ubisoft and reported them to Paypal for not providing a code. Reading some comments on the game I`m not the only one who bought it off Ubisoft and it not give out a code (if you already had it on PC!)

Bought the base game on Fanatical, then used the 5% off coupon that purchase gave you to buy the ST:NG DLC. Then typed both codes into my Oculus app for the Quest and now I have the game for the Quest for less than a tenner.

Although reading the review loads of people up in arms about not being able to play the game due to account linking etc not working. Not tried it yet myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got this for xmas. Managed to get it to work standalone with a few games as well as steamvr using oculus link. All in all it's very good for me. Already had payday 2 and project cars 2 that are vr. Will add a few more I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Arizona Sunshine completed - graphics weren't the best, but once you are immersed, they are more than adequate. Loved the voice actor, sounds like Archer/Bobs Burgers. The Caves/Mine section was a squeaky bum time. Great game, with some great weapons.

Vader Immortal - more a tech demo, but the first time you meet Vader is jaw dropping. Ep III was the best for me, taking on stormtroopers, force grabs/throws, deflecting laser blasts with your lightsabre, or wielding your lightsabre and a blaster in the other hand - yeah baby!!!

Superhot - son finished this, said it was awesome.

Beat Sabre - son plays this, loves it, but says it is getting a challenging at the higher levels.

Star Trek Bridge Crew and Next Gen DLC - got this for less than a tenner yesterday, installed and took the shuttle to the Enterprise - stunning! But haven't really gone much further!!

Richie's Plank - funny. Wife wouldn't leave the lift! Tried the free roam around the city but made me nauseous, same issue i used to have with the PSVR :(

Got Penn and Teller, The Climb, Robo Recall, Gun Club, I expect you to die. Space Pirate Trainer and Pistol Whip - but haven't started any of those yet.

The Guardian feature is very good, i don't get this on my Samsung Gear or PSVR.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm considering getting the Oculus Quest; The room that my computer is in doesn't have the room for VR other than stuff which is stationary, or doesn't require sudden swinging of the controllers (Like Beat Saber, for example). Because of this, the wireless feature of the Oculus Quest sings to me- but sometimes, I want the option to use my 2070 super to run it. That's why I got that card, after all. Thankfully, Oculus Link (Especially with Oculus' cable) should do this for me.

My issue is that the Quest is said to be front heavy, and the common solution of using the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap doesn't appeal to me; If possible, I'd prefer to use my Steelseries Arctis 7 headphones (They have a wire that can be used to plug the headphones directly into the audio source, such as a phone, so they aren't purely wireless.) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Soldato
OP
I'm considering getting the Oculus Quest; The room that my computer is in doesn't have the room for VR other than stuff which is stationary, or doesn't require sudden swinging of the controllers (Like Beat Saber, for example). Because of this, the wireless feature of the Oculus Quest sings to me- but sometimes, I want the option to use my 2070 super to run it. That's why I got that card, after all. Thankfully, Oculus Link (Especially with Oculus' cable) should do this for me.

My issue is that the Quest is said to be front heavy, and the common solution of using the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap doesn't appeal to me; If possible, I'd prefer to use my Steelseries Arctis 7 headphones (They have a wire that can be used to plug the headphones directly into the audio source, such as a phone, so they aren't purely wireless.) Does anyone have any suggestions?
Welding mask head gear mod? Battery as counterweight on back?

Last edited:
Soldato

Virtual Desktop is more in keeping with "wires free" than the Oculus Link and works fine, wirelessly. I still get tangled up in the wire if I sometimes use link because its on the opposite side to where my PC is unless I put it round the back of my chair. I actually find VD better as using the link the app often crashes. (you dont need the Oculus cable either just get a cheap Amazon USB 3.1 C)

Personally I havent noticed it being front heavy but I am considering getting a mount for my battery packs, just not sure as the way it fastens over the back strap I imagine would be uncomfortable. At the moment I just put the battery pack in my back pocket and it works fine that way.

So far I've not bothered with headphones (and I bought a seperate in ear set for each side and not used them yet) as I`m quite happy with the Quest's own audio.

Soldato
Vader Immortal - more a tech demo, but the first time you meet Vader is jaw dropping. Ep III was the best for me, taking on stormtroopers, force grabs/throws, deflecting laser blasts with your lightsabre, or wielding your lightsabre and a blaster in the other hand - yeah baby!!!
Tried this last night, I've been a Star Wars fan since a kid and always thought Vader was a cool character but never really found him that intimidating or terrifying however as you say when you first meet him in this it is jaw dropping, he is HUGE with a size that just doesn't come across in the films. Very very cool. :cool:

Associate

The rear pad from VR Cover improved comfort by a large margin, I bought the thicker of the two options and I'm able to wear the Quest noticeably less tight against my face without it shifting. First impression of the pad was only okay though, took a session for the pad to curve into shape.

With active USB extension cables people are getting the Link to work a long way from their computer. The Link connection is working well for me using a uGreen 5 metre usb 3.0 active extension cable with a 1m usb 3.0 type A to C Syncwire cable. I'm sure I've read people are using 2x 5m active usb cables plus the usb c cable on top of this. You might be able to get enough length to use a Quest in a suitable adjacent space?

Associate
The rear pad from VR Cover improved comfort by a large margin, I bought the thicker of the two options and I'm able to wear the Quest noticeably less tight against my face without it shifting. First impression of the pad was only okay though, took a session for the pad to curve into shape.

With active USB extension cables people are getting the Link to work a long way from their computer. The Link connection is working well for me using a uGreen 5 metre usb 3.0 active extension cable with a 1m usb 3.0 type A to C Syncwire cable. I'm sure I've read people are using 2x 5m active usb cables plus the usb c cable on top of this. You might be able to get enough length to use a Quest in a suitable adjacent space?

My bedroom is ~3/5ths of a converted garage. The best locations in terms of space are the Living Room and the Conservatory, both of which are too far away for reasonable cable length. The closest available empty space (Provided I moved some things) is the area outside the back door, but there is elevation there, so walking around blindly is just asking for an accident where I step off the ledge unexpectedly and fall.

Soldato
My bedroom is ~3/5ths of a converted garage. The best locations in terms of space are the Living Room and the Conservatory, both of which are too far away for reasonable cable length. The closest available empty space (Provided I moved some things) is the area outside the back door, but there is elevation there, so walking around blindly is just asking for an accident where I step off the ledge unexpectedly and fall.

Not sure whether you understand BUT USE VIRTUAL DESKTOP !!!!! No need for a cable or Oculus link then !!!!
I've played Steam VR and Oculus games via Virtual Desktop OUTSIDE in the garden and in my garage.

The quest has a boundary "wall" so you map the floor space with the controller, bit like spraying a painted area on the floor. Then when you step near the boundary it becomes visible in-game then when you step outside the boundary you can SEE your surroundings via the external cameras so you cant bump into things or fall because you can see the "real world".

Back
Top Bottom