Oculus Rift

Having said just a few days ago that I would definitely be getting a rift I'm now not so sure

I just this second found out, what a complete disaster! And I totally agree, thank god I didn't pre-order, I was days away from doing so :(:(:(

Think everyone expected they'd be bought out eventually. But by someone like MS / Sony or some peripherals company like Logitech. but Facebook? Just strange.

In the grand scheme of things I would have been ok with any of the above (Logitech would have been excellent actually!) but FB is a worse case scenario

Last edited:
They might be alright jack but what about everyone who gave money to the kickstarter, are they actually going to get what they thought they were contributing to? If i were one of those people id be pretty concerned and ****** off right now.
Not sure why im bothering, but to be fair to Oculus, the kickstarter campaign backers got their DK1, but i still think when it comes down to the fact that they needed backing in order to make a game-changing product, and the people came and supported them and made it happen, for them to get half way through the process and then accept a big fat cheque from FACEBOOK!? Thats an insult, they owe those people better than that.
Would the Rift have died if those people didnt back it? Probably not, they'd have found someone to bankroll it, and those people would be getting a slice of the pie. But the people who have backed it, get a facebook post telling them, just hours after Oculus posted
"Today, we’re pleased to announce that we’ve joined forces with Facebook to create the best virtual reality platform in the world."
March 25, 2014 - 02:35 PDT

Then a few hours later we get
"I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology."

Theres plenty of things you could call them both, and they'll all be turned into *'s by the forum!

Think everyone expected they'd be bought out eventually. But by someone like MS / Sony or some peripherals company like Logitech. but Facebook? Just strange.
MS or Sony, im not sure i'd have been too impressed with either (i've spent £800 on a Sony TV and Surface Pro 2 in the last few months) cos im not so sure how things would end up there either.
Logitech, if they sell a peripheral which does what i'd like as good/equal to other brands and sensibly priced, i'd pick them over any other company... not sure i'd want them with the Rift though, but i'd be relatively happy its with a company i like.

Im just surprised its not a Google purchase, it seems to fit in with exactly their sort of style, very technology orientated and if they're not leading the way they're probably trying to reinvent it. They're not the same, but with the Rift and Google glasses, they're not that different either and theres a decent cross-over without stepping on toes.

I suspect either Google have something they're already working on, or maybe they were in the mix but Facebook wanted it more because they're more desperate, like BT buying the broadcast rights for football, its a play for relevance.

But had i been given the choice of the last company i'd want getting their hands over this product, well it would have been EA :D but only because Facebook wouldnt have even occured to me. I absolutely HATE all this social media junk and the way it infests your life, not just your time on the internet. Everything has to have a facebook page, and a stupid hashtag for every occasion, so we can tweet what we think like they even give a damn!
Im sure plenty know :o but US tv shows encourage you to tweet about the ep to them "Should Dave lie to Pete? #whocares"
During NASCAR (i know, but i like it) they have people tweet/instagram (whatever!) photos of themselves watching the race called 'How do you KFC?'.
Does this nonsense really enrich peoples lives?? (not nascar :p)
Hate it, hate every bit of it, and Facebook pretty much lead the way in terms of kickstarting this movement. MySpace might have had the social bit before them, but it never infested our lives, every website having [like] and [tweet] buttons.

okay, now its gone 3am and im ranting :(

I went from a almost definate buy to questioning it now, i'm hoping that facebook just see this as a external revenue income from a subsidiary company and is treated like a normal peripheral such as a monitor or 3d glasses.

I completely fail to see how the 'facebook interface' could make its way into the rift, unless you are suggesting that people will have a small window in the middle where they get to see their game/movie etc, and the edges will be facebook.. If that occurs, then the rift is dead before it reaches the shelves, and zuckerberg has bought a $2bn lame duck.

I don't have a problem with the hardware eventually having fb branding on the outside, but if it becomes invasive to the experience, then I'm pretty sure that it will be another one of those ideas that just doesn't get traction.

Much as I hate to point out, everyone cried out in horror when disney purchased lucasfilms, and thus far, that's not turned into a disaster.

Instead of looking to the negatives, we should look at the positive aspects. With the financial clout of zuckerberg, Oculus VR is now in a position where they can scale up the production dramatically, this could well result in a lower cost end product, supplied in a much shorter timescale. This might not be a bad thing.

But then again, this is the internet.. oh god, oh god, we're all going to die.

Ceryndrion

The facebook branding will be via software, think of it as a logitech gaming mouse/keyboard and needing software for game compatibility, the software will have a bunch of the facebook links and crap in.

It also worries me when they say that the Rift will be cheaper to buy now, how?, advertisement. Similar to the likes of Kindle that sell to recoup or even at a loss and to make it up via ads, services, convenience purchases.

Facebook doesn't just buy Rift for 2 Billion just for the eventual box sales, they will dump purchase services onto it as-well. I sure as hell don't want to be near a AD launching platform as is Facebook is :(

Not that it matters much anyway, Rift wasn't going to be anything major anytime soon, probably be other stuff to play with by the time is worth getting one.

Last edited:
Disappointing news to most, I would imagine. I was very tempted to get one of the new dev kits but I will now wait for release to see what they come up with. As for positive or negative, nobody knows really, this is the first time Facebook has ventured into the hardware sector and I'm curious to see how they handle it.

Instead of looking to the negatives, we should look at the positive aspects. With the financial clout of zuckerberg, Oculus VR is now in a position where they can scale up the production dramatically, this could well result in a lower cost end product, supplied in a much shorter timescale. This might not be a bad thing.

I doubt it. He makes money by harvesting and selling people's personal information. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that can be trusted with making a product that isn't just for doing more of that. We will have to wait and see, but I can't imagine a company like Facebook knows what needs to be done to make a good gaming experience.

Do people honestly think Facebook would give away 2billion out of the kindness of their hearts?

Look at it logically, what do Facebook do, how do they make money? Facebook isn't stupid it knows how to reel people in, the Oculus will stay on the exact same road map and eventually release in a blaze of glory almost exactly as expected. Then when it is labelled a success they will start the slow process of finding ways to monetize it with data and ads.

If thought about logically there's no way this acquisition can end up being a good thing for the consumer in the long term. It's sad because I was really looking forward to this... :(

Do people honestly think Facebook would give away 2billion out of the kindness of their hearts?

Look at it logically, what do Facebook do, how do they make money? Facebook isn't stupid it knows how to reel people in, the Oculus will stay on the exact same road map and eventually release in a blaze of glory almost exactly as expected. Then when it is labelled a success they will start the slow process of finding ways to monetize it with data and ads.

If thought about logically there's no way this acquisition can end up being a good thing for the consumer in the long term. It's sad because I was really looking forward to this... :(

Prepare for a mandatory fully integrated Facebook page in the HUD of all your space/flight sims :)

"Bob writes" - Yeh! I just blew up the Zarg mothership with my last nova missile.

"Mary writes" - Awww cute kittens in a basket!

What if the intent from Facebook is having the option to "share" screenshots or videos recorded directly from the rift? Like a button on the side when you press it, it takes a screenshot, or starts recording until it's pressed again, and then you upload it directly to your Facebook account?

I mean, I'm not happy with the acquisition either, but if it's something like that, I wouldn't really care, it's only if it goes on to ads or something else, which is when it'd be an issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom