Oculus Rift

I must be the only one thinking that Rift+FB can be a good thing? Mind you 2 Billion seems like an obscene amount of money for a product which has not seen the light of day.

I must be the only one thinking that Rift+FB can be a good thing? Mind you 2 Billion seems like an obscene amount of money for a product which has not seen the light of day.

It's not vapourware, it's had two very successful dev kits, the second one more polished then most 1st Gen products out there. The tech has been proven beyond doubt

We'll end up with any game equipped to use Rift requiring you to log in with a Facebook account at the very minimum. Facebook make billions from selling your details for advertising so i would have to assume they view this as a way to get more details from you and more targeted advertising in front of you :(

In my best Dragon den voice "..and for that reason I'm out.."

What is Facebook :confused:

Wonder how long this deal has been waiting to happen behind closed doors.

Hence the delay in them releasing the bloody thing.

I bet behind closed doors it was a bidding war between MS, Facebook and Google.

I would have preferred MS bizarrely. There we go, this is what it has come down to, picking the least worst corporation because they have some gaming experience. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

I don't think it is immediately a bad thing. We've all been excited about the rift for some time and this guarantees that it will make it to the shelves.

As many have pointed out it is Facebook's intentions after that point that is a concern. I don't see them spending $2 Billion just to put adverts in someone's face while they are playing Star Citizen.

I'm interested to see who else Facebook acquires over time. Xbox maybe? Nintendo? I don't think Zuckerburg is daft, he can't think that Facebook itself will last forever.

Do people honestly think Facebook would give away 2billion out of the kindness of their hearts?

Look at it logically, what do Facebook do, how do they make money? Facebook isn't stupid it knows how to reel people in, the Oculus will stay on the exact same road map and eventually release in a blaze of glory almost exactly as expected. Then when it is labelled a success they will start the slow process of finding ways to monetize it with data and ads.

If thought about logically there's no way this acquisition can end up being a good thing for the consumer in the long term. It's sad because I was really looking forward to this... :(

yeah this is what I'm thinking. watche a YT vid on some failed/worst consoles.... wouldn't surprise me if they brought out 2 versions. a "premium" version for top dollar and a more affordable version which forces you to watch adverts for the reduced cost. I hope to go not though.

JUST GIVE THE DEV TEAM MONEY AND LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

JUST GIVE THE DEV TEAM MONEY AND LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

I suspect that's exactly what they will be doing. You don't make money placing in game adverts on PC games. Facebook will have their own ideas of how to monetise this, their VR website portal thing, whatever that is.

While Match.com might be interested in advertising to 20 year olds playing Elite: Dangerous with a headset, I can't see there being all that much money in it.

I'm not impressed by Facebook taking over, but I'm not going to let it spoil any potential enjoyment of VR for me...

Feels like very disappointing news, shame it wasn't a more 'gaming' friendly manufacturer. But I guess only time will tell on how this pans out.

Also I thought it had already been confirmed that Valve were backing the OR (Eurogamer News item) and not their own headset?

I think Valve are working on one as well.
Link

no they are not, its been confirmed that valve are working to support O.R.

anyway,

see Palmer Luckey thread here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/

Edit:

[–]palmerluckey [+2] 80 points 7 hours ago* (840|760)
If I ever need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift, I'm done.
You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift.
If I ever see Facebook branding on anything that's not optional, I'm done.
Not really reasonable in a literal sense, but I get your drift.
If I ever see ads on anything that I've already paid for, I'm done.
That is a developer decision, not our decision. If someone wants to sell a game with built-in ads, they will have to deal with the natural consequences.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21dvlz/palmer_i_will_continue_to_support_oculus_but/

Last edited:
I'm actually really happy about this news (no jokes).

The rift has always been an amazing concept that has been implemented really well by some very clever people. However, it was trying to claw its way out of chicken/egg conundrum where the mainstream audience want a large volume of high quality content before they buy a new platform and the game developers want a large number of customers who already own the device so they know its worth developing AAA content for it.

Before, oculus were counting on the enthusiasm of game developers (coupled with the release of their dev kits) to get content for the oculus so it could hit the ground running. However, due to the uncertainty of its mainstream success very few big-name developers or publishers were committing to developing AAA games specifically for the platform.

However, now that oculus is with facebook (and we take Zuckerberg and Luckey at their words) they have the financial clout to commission AAA games to be made specifically for VR. If this does happen and games publishers see the rift as a viable mainstream platform then many more games (and other experiences) will be coming to VR much faster than would have otherwise been the case.

We'll end up with any game equipped to use Rift requiring you to log in with a Facebook account at the very minimum. Facebook make billions from selling your details for advertising so i would have to assume they view this as a way to get more details from you and more targeted advertising in front of you :(

In my best Dragon den voice "..and for that reason I'm out.."

As opposed to now where we can play all of our games freely without having to log into a proprietary account of some description?

Oh no wait.....

Last edited:
I'm trying really hard to be optimistic but no matter how i look at it all i see is total sell out. What gets me is Carmack is the king nerd, he's never done anything that derails or dilutes his vision, so either he saw nothing but $$$$$ or Zuckerberg actually convinced him to a point he was happy?

I'm trying really hard to be optimistic but no matter how i look at it all i see is total sell out. What gets me is Carmack is the king nerd, he's never done anything that derails or dilutes his vision, so either he saw nothing but $$$$$ or Zuckerberg actually convinced him to a point he was happy?

Carmack is CTO, not CEO.

Not to mention that iD was sold to Zenimax previously so that's really not the case.

I think he'll stick with it until completion and then when the interesting work is done he'll move on.

Did I misread the articles or do they really say that John Carmack now works for Facebook?

yes he does now,

John latest comment:
"I have a deep respect for the technical scale that FB operates at. The cyberspace we want for VR will be at this scale." (John Carmack on Twitter).
Everyone calm down. Oculus Rift is still awesome.

Back
Top Bottom