OCZ makes 4GB 'P45 Special' DDR2 modules, launches new kits

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I doubt very much at all. Infact there are two good comparisons on the net for 2/4/8gig setups and the bottom line was unless you are going to use more than 4gig don't bother upgrading to 8gig as the overall speed of your PC drops slightly from 4gig to 8gig in interests of stability.

Obvious? :p ;)

Soldato

Well no, a lot of people will upgrade to 8gig despite never using any app or games that can use more than 4gig of RAM because they assume it will run faster.

Games for example use the most memory on the average PC and they are all 32bit apps which can only address 2gig RAM unless compiled otherwise, so unless you run 2 at the same time having more than 4gig won't really help.

Basically you have to decide if your own need to more than 4gig RAM justifies the slower system speed :)

Soldato
After 4 x 2GB of their Vista upgrade Gold series would NOT work on my P45 ASUS P5Q deluxe, I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole.

Soldato
After 4 x 2GB of their Vista upgrade Gold series would NOT work on my P45 ASUS P5Q deluxe, I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole.

That could be the motherboard to be fair. I have 4 x 1Gb of Tracer Ballistix 8500 that wouldn't break a sweat running at 1200Mhz in my old MSI P35 Neo2 mobo, yet refuse to work at anything over 800Mhz in my brand spanky new 16-phase Asus P45 deluxe...

Soldato
Tell me about it..... I'm out of pocket having had to buy 8GB of Corsair off the QVL list. Have to try and dump the OCZ. Since this is specifically marketed as P45 memory, one would hope OCZ have tested it in what is one of the the most popular P45 boards - the P5Q

Associate
Glad I checked this, was going to get some of this with the Asus P5Q-E for upgrading my home ESXi servers. If only going to get 8Gb going then stick with my Asus P5W64 WSPro boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Strikes me as a bit late to be introducing new high-capacity DDR2 DIMMs, or to be investing in buying them tbh, what with the large-scale takeup of DDR3 that's sure to take place next year, driven by Nehalem.

Associate
Strikes me as a bit late to be introducing new high-capacity DDR2 DIMMs, or to be investing in buying them tbh, what with the large-scale takeup of DDR3 that's sure to take place next year, driven by Nehalem.

Well if you're buying a rig now that's supposed to last for some years these are some very good modules :)

Soldato
So let me get this straight....although we now have operating systems which can take more than 8gig of ram, my motherboard (X38) wont be able to handle it? Seems a bit ridiculous tbh.

Soldato
I have to ask and no doubt it has been asked before, do the OCZ "Name your sell point" DDR kits have any benefit to there referred flavours? Ive seen Sli kits and now p45 kits, if i use this memory in a p35 mobo and then in a p45 mobo is there really going to be a differance that discerns the kits performance from its non "native" operation???

Soldato
I suspect it simply means that it has been tested on that platform (ie advertising gimmick) - but given the sensitivity of some motherboards and certain makes of RAM (OCZ grrrr.....) I will certainly be falling for the trick and only selecting kit they specifically plug!

Associate

I have qualled 16GB on the P5Q deluxe, 800 was very easy and 900 came with a little tweaking. One trick is to use the mod bios files off XS as they have the ram tables from ther maximus II p45 ;)

So...if you have issues come to me, i usually know a way of getting you working, also visit the support forum www.ocztechnologyforum.com for tip s and tweaks and be sure to check the online QVL/Torture test for what we have found works.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/qvl/detail.php?id=32

Tips regarding boards from Asus:

Asus create many boards from budget thru mainstream to high end. They do not want the budget or mainstream boards performaing as good as the high end as they make much smaller margins on the lower boards compared to the high end...hence bios files intentionally hold back the lower end boards so that the high end boards shine.
Often high end boards will not have the same issues we see on lower end boards and 99/100 its the ram tables etc that is the cause.

So check the mod bios files ;) they help a great deal, and if you guys have issues come see me over at my forum so our staff can get you going.

Back
Top Bottom