Odd Soundcard issue

Associate
Hey all,

Recently i started up my computer as normal but noticed my audio was crackling and breaking up.

I performed these steps to no avail:

- Changing audio leads
- Trying headphones
- Restarting Windows

The problem remained however so I booked for my soundcard to be RMA'd as it's only a few months old (it's a SoundblasterX AE-5). While waiting I put in my old card, a Soundblaster Z that's about a year old. To my surprise the issue remained.

I then tried/checked the following:

- Reinstalled Windows 10 fresh
- Tried on-board audio, this worked absolutely fine
- Moved the soundcard to the other PCI-e slot
- Tried my speakers from the front audio out which is connected to the soundcard, this worked fine

I'm really confused. On-board audio is fine but 2 different soundcards in two different slots have crackling audio on the Speaker Out, but work fine with the cable to the front Speaker Out.

Sometimes when plugging in the Speaker cable, Windows will freeze/lock which it never used to do but again, I have reinstalled Windows

I'm really at a loss as to what the issue is. I think maybe the motherboard but the chances of two slots being bad seems unlikely?

My PC specs:
Gigabyte Gaming MX-5 micro ATX motherboard
Soundblaster AE-5 / SB Z
Asus ROG Geforce 1080
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
16GB Corsair DDR4 RAM

Thank you all in advance

Associate
OP
There might have been some new patch to Wintoys10 which is causing problem.
Wintoys10 might be also force installing bad driver automatically, so disable automatic driver updates before reinstalling card.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

I've reinstalled Windows and before doing anything installed the soundcard drivers from Creative labs. The issue happens straight away on both cards before Windows has tried to update(I haven't even activated Windows at this point)

Soldato
Do both of those Soundblaster cards use the same driver set?

Whatever the issue your looking for something common between those cards or computer.

Do those cards take external power from the PSU? Don't rule out that it's power related.

- Tried my speakers from the front audio out which is connected to the soundcard, this worked fine

Above is the odd bit as if software / drivers you would think that would make no difference.

Soldato
I've reinstalled Windows and before doing anything installed the soundcard drivers from Creative labs. The issue happens straight away on both cards before Windows has tried to update(I haven't even activated Windows at this point)

Have you tried using the drivers that Microsoft supply from Windows update (if even possible) and not the Creative ones.

Soldato
The issue happens straight away on both cards before Windows has tried to update(I haven't even activated Windows at this point)
Neither you needed to have Windows completely installed before getting it infected by "worms" once upon a time.
Just open bridged (=unsecure) internet connection was enough for that.
So wouldn't say no to chance of Microsoft already pushing in some patches before installation is finished, if there's internet connection.

Could be even conflict with some other driver.
DPC latency could tell about that.
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
So disabling integrated sound card in BIOS would be one thing to try to rule out conflict with it.

Associate
OP
Do both of those Soundblaster cards use the same driver set?

Whatever the issue your looking for something common between those cards or computer.

Do those cards take external power from the PSU? Don't rule out that it's power related.

Above is the odd bit as if software / drivers you would think that would make no difference.

Nope completely different. The AE-5 was a completely new card with new DAC and chipset. The driver plus management software is different. The AE-5 needs a molex connector for power but the Soundblaster Z does not.

Since my original post I have now tried:

- Resetting the BIOS
- Updating the BIOS
- Unplugging all USB devices except the mouse
- Disabled onboard audio/VGA in case there was a conflict, made no different so turned them back on before trying the next step
- I moved the GPU to where the soundcard is and put the soundcard where the GPU is but I didn't get any picture output, I assume the video card requires a 16x slot?
- Removed the graphics card completely, used onboard VGA and the soundcard in the GPU slot, issue remains with the soundcard
- Once again the issue remains. Both soundcards have the same fault, front audio works via either soundcard as does onboard

I am at a loss. I'm going to see if Gigabyte will RMA the motherboard as I wonder if that is where the issue lies but I don't know. I may go through the hassle of no PC for a few weeks and moving CPU/Liquid cooler over for nothing but I've exhausted all other options

Soldato
The most odd thing is front audio works. Is the front audio amp'ed in any way, or is front just a line out same as the card?

I was wondering if it was a power issue regarding the PCI-e bus.

Yes assume graphics card requires x16.

When the sound cracks as such, does the computer lock up, or does it sound like the audio plug is just being pulled out?

Have you tried another PSU just in case it's PSU related, also have you tried resetting motherboard PSU connections?

Is the crack happening the same time as anything else in the computer, such as a HDD coming out of sleep?

Associate
OP
The most odd thing is front audio works. Is the front audio amp'ed in any way, or is front just a line out same as the card?

I was wondering if it was a power issue regarding the PCI-e bus.

Yes assume graphics card requires x16.

When the sound cracks as such, does the computer lock up, or does it sound like the audio plug is just being pulled out?

Have you tried another PSU just in case it's PSU related, also have you tried resetting motherboard PSU connections?

Is the crack happening the same time as anything else in the computer, such as a HDD coming out of sleep?

Thanks for responding.

I am assuming the front audio is just line out as it just connects to the Front Audio connector on both soundcards.

The sound constantly cracks but the computer remains responsive. When I say it cracks, the best way to describe it is there will be no audible audio then you will hear bits of audio crack in and out and sound very muffled. It happens as soon as Windows starts if you press the volume bar but also if playing a YouTube video. The computer does become unresponsive if I keep unplugging/plugging in the audio cable (i.e when trying different outputs on the soundcard) at which point when I was using the AE-5, the Creative software then came up that no Soundblaster card could be detected and I had to restart the machine.

I have not tried a new PSU, I think I may have a spare if not I have a 400W PSU in an old(very old) machine I could borrow. I have not tried checking the ATX power connector on the motherboard but I will certainly try that when I am home tonight.

Soldato
Have you tried a fresh install with windows own drivers, will Windows even default to some drivers for the cards.

I still don't rule out it's something Creative has done with their drivers.

I have another thought, it's not anything to do with either 5.1/7.1. If your plugging sound into the front line in thats 100% stereo (2.0). However the rear connectors that's also 5.1/7.1, i'm wondering if software or drivers is getting mixed up with this for a moment, and it's switching you from 2.0 to 5.1/7.1 then back again.

Associate
OP
Have you tried a fresh install with windows own drivers, will Windows even default to some drivers for the cards.

I still don't rule out it's something Creative has done with their drivers.

I have another thought, it's not anything to do with either 5.1/7.1. If your plugging sound into the front line in thats 100% stereo (2.0). However the rear connectors that's also 5.1/7.1, i'm wondering if software or drivers is getting mixed up with this for a moment, and it's switching you from 2.0 to 5.1/7.1 then back again.

Hello,

I checked all power connections and these seem fine. Unfortunately my other PSU is much too old for this board so I don't have a different one to test. I checked that in both the Creative Software and Windows it is set to 2.0 Channel stereo in both. Sometimes the Creative software for both cards refuses to detect them which is likely related to the issue.

I uninstalled the driver for the card and downloaded an older driver but the problem remained. I recorded what the sound is like and uploaded it to share with you to my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zgK-zlrO7MbmK8NobxwN3YNe4a0rFuRu

Gigabyte have agreed to RMA my motherboard under the 3 year warranty, however does mean I need to dismantle my computer, remove the CPU, send off the board, be without it for a few weeks, re-insert CPU re-doing thermal paste, re-assemble the computer and hope that after all of that the motherboard is even the issue.

If not then I will just live without any expansion cards except the video card until next year when I can afford to upgrade my PC again.

Thank you again for your help with this

Associate
OP
During that recording by the way I was not pressing or touching anything and the only software running was Chrome playing YouTube which you can hear. It is the same type of clicking/popping/muffled sound with any audio though from the PC though and exactly the same with both soundcards.

Soldato
Associate
OP
That sounds like the sound is operating in surround mode, and it's only putting part of the sound to the 2.0.

Daft question of the day, you have the audio cable in the correct jack for 2.0 sound?

Yeah I've tried different outputs but cannot get front audio to work

Edit: also all those ticks, clicks and so forth are not me, that's the audio breaking in and out. The video if you want the original on YouTube is Should You Low Level Format - Nostalgia Nerd which should be stereo

Soldato
Yeah I've tried different outputs but cannot get front audio to work

In the realtek control panel there is some options.

1) Mute the rear output device when front headphone is plugged in.

2) Make front and rear audio devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously

Have you tried switching either of these?

Edit. there is also loudness equalisation, have you tried switching this?

Edit2. If you go into Windows 10 -> Sound, there is an option for Saptial Sound, have you tried toggling this, mine is off.

Associate
OP
In the realtek control panel there is some options.

1) Mute the rear output device when front headphone is plugged in.

2) Make front and rear audio devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously

Have you tried switching either of these?

Edit. there is also loudness equalisation, have you tried switching this?

Neither Creative card has these options in their respective software, that I can find anyway. I have turned off all extra audio enhancements like Crystalizer etc. The issue is also present without the software installed, just the driver.

I have spatial sound and all audio enhancements turned off in Windows and lowered the sampling rate down to the lowest quality in case the 32-bit 192khz was an issue on the AE-5 card.

Soldato
Neither Creative card has these options in their respective software, that I can find anyway. I have turned off all extra audio enhancements like Crystalizer etc. The issue is also present without the software installed, just the driver.

I edited my above post about Windows 10 Spacial Sound - it's in Sound control panel, make sure it's off.

Edit 2. From sound control panel, there is additional properties.

1) On the Advanced tap check your in 2.0 mode.
2) On Enhancements make sure your in Immediate mode.

Associate
OP
I edited my above post about Windows 10 Spacial Sound - it's in Sound control panel, make sure it's off.

Edit 2. From sound control panel, there is additional properties.

1) On the Advanced tap check your in 2.0 mode.
2) On Enhancements make sure your in Immediate mode.

Hello,
I am in 2.0 stereo mode but will check for the immediate mode option and report back

Thanks

Soldato
Hello,
I am in 2.0 stereo mode but will check for the immediate mode option and report back

Thanks

Under the advanced tap, there is also Exclusive mode options.

1) Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.

2) Give exclusive mode applications priority.

Both of mine above are set on.

Associate
OP
Under the advanced tap, there is also Exclusive mode options.

1) Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.

2) Give exclusive mode applications priority.

Both of mine above are set on.

I tried with them on and off but no go. I decided to put the SB AE-5 back in as I don't need to RMA that now.

Trying it in Stereo there is only audio from 1 socket on the back and it's distorted/muffled etc. I tried in 5.1 and only the front left/right output worked but again, distorted.

I tried all different settings on and off and reinstalled an older driver but no luck.

I tried plugging in some headphones to the headphone out on the card but didn't get any audio at all despite Windows showing audio was playing and the soundcard set to headphones.

Yet again the front audio panel works fine connected to the soundcard

At this point I am exhausted and tired from trying to work out what is going on, I'm just going to spend the weekend taking it all apart and sending off the motherboard. I would just buy a new motherboard but there seems to be very few Z170 boards about that are micro ATX so will just have to be without for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom