Poll: Official 2024 British Grand Prix Race Thread - Silverstone Circuit - Race 12/24

Rate the Silverstone race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I have no empathy for anything football related so you are wasting your time. Footballers do not risk their lives for their sport yet they seem to be able to trip over a matchstick, roll around in theatrical agony to get the other player booked or a free kick, then get up and trott off.
Plus it is probably amongst one of the most corrupt sport's in the world.
I will find something meaningful to do on Sunday as clearly, from the over exuberant celebrations from both players and supporters, it is a sport for children.

Last edited:
Sorry but I have no empathy for anything football related so you are wasting your time. Footballers do not risk their lives for their sport yet they seem to be able to trip over a matchstick, roll around in theatrical agony to get the other player booked or a free kick, then get up and trott off.
I will find something meaningful to do on Sunday as clearly, from the over exuberant celebrations from both players and supporters, it is a sport for children.
Are you of Dutch origin by any chance?

Not liking football is fine as is not having empathy for them. My point is purely that if you were to judge who is overpaid based purely on their talent level then F1 drivers on average would clearly be the ones being overpaid due to how weak the talent pool in motorsport is relative to just about every other sport on the planet.

Last edited:
Not liking football is fine as is not having empathy for them. My point is purely that if you were to judge who is overpaid (footballers of f1 drivers) based on their talent level then F1 drivers would clearly be the ones being overpaid due to how uncompetitive motorsport is relative to just about every other sport on the planet. One is the most played and competitive sport on the planet, the other is the polar opposite.
That's your opinion versus mine..

Last edited:
F1 drivers are far more overpaid given the tiny talent pool they come from. The best football players in the world come from a talent pool of millions due to anyone from any background being able to discover if they have talent and make it to the top, you can live in a favela in Brazil, and if you have the talent you can make it to the top.

Now compare that to motorsport which probably has the smallest talent pool of just about any sport on the planet due to the costs involved, a sport which even at the lowest level of karting is unaffordable to the middle and working classes.

It's a lot more impressive imo to make it to the top of football than it is motorsport. I say this as die-hard F1 fan.
but it is precisely because of that limited talent pool that they get paid so much, teams want the best driver and there aren't so many to choose from, so if they don't pay silly money for the best driver their competitor will.

F1 drivers are far more overpaid given the tiny talent pool they come from. The best football players in the world come from a talent pool of millions due to anyone from any background being able to discover if they have talent and make it to the top, you can live in a favela in Brazil, and if you have the talent you can make it to the top.

Now compare that to motorsport which probably has the smallest talent pool of just about any sport on the planet due to the costs involved, a sport which even at the lowest level of karting is unaffordable to the middle and working classes.

It's a lot more impressive imo to make it to the top of football than it is motorsport. I say this as die-hard F1 fan.

It's a fair point. One that makes those that do genuinely come from a non-rich background (such as Hamilton) even more impressive really.

In fact apart from Hamilton, which of the other top drivers came from modest roots?

I don't think Alonso's parents were that rich so maybe him.

Max was a shoe in as his father was an ex F1 driver

Sainz similar as above (Dad famous rally driver/champion)

Leclerc comes from Monaco so I'm assuming his family were pretty rich

Piastri's Dad owns a billion dollar automotive tech company

Landos dad was/is one of the richest people in the UK

Russell I'm not sure. Not sure his parents were mega rich, but he went to private school etc so assume they were fairly wealthy

Really aren't that many with humble beginnings

but it is precisely because of that limited talent pool that they get paid so much, teams want the best driver and there aren't so many to choose from, so if they don't pay silly money for the best driver their competitor will.
Also, it’s easy enough to kick a ball around after school, not so much hop into your go kart.

It's a fair point. One that makes those that do genuinely come from a non-rich background (such as Hamilton) even more impressive really.

In fact apart from Hamilton, which of the other top drivers came from modest roots?

Russell I'm not sure. Not sure his parents were mega rich, but he went to private school etc so assume they were fairly wealthy

Ocon's family sold their house to fund his racing.

Albon is another from a modest background, IIRC, a big reason why he races as Thai is because of the sponsorship money that brings.

Alonso's family are decribed as working class. His dad was a mechanic.

There's a few of them, but even karting is expensive.

Wasnt Leclerc's dad a mechanic and his mum is a hairdresser (still) so I dont think he came from money.... His family just happened to live in Monaco

Wasnt Leclerc's dad a mechanic and his mum is a hairdresser (still) so I dont think he came from money.... His family just happened to live in Monaco
Na they was quite wealthy. Leclerc nearly became a architect instead of a f1 driver and during Covid learned how to play the piano... His dad sadly passed away just before he turned pro driver for f1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom