Poll: Official 2024 British Grand Prix Race Thread - Silverstone Circuit - Race 12/24

Rate the Silverstone race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit that as much as I'm a fan of the sport I normally switch off the F1 coverage the second the last point scoring car has crossed the line, yet this race I watched to the podium. It was just so refreshing to see a driver with so much success in the sport still appreciating the wins, the fans, the team etc.

As much as his talent can't be understated I just can't bring myself to watch Verstappen finish 30 seconds ahead of his nearest rival and then deliver a monotone interview to the press about how the team made mistakes which 'we'll have to look into'. You feel like giving him a good shake and a slap round the face. You've just won the grand prix, people dream of being in that position and yet somehow you reduce it down to a granular "why didn't we pit a lap earlier and finish 31 seconds ahead" statistical analysis. I guess it's just his nature and he's paid to pedal the car, not be a personality, but damn it's dull.

I must admit that as much as I'm a fan of the sport I normally switch off the F1 coverage the second the last point scoring car has crossed the line, yet this race I watched to the podium. It was just so refreshing to see a driver with so much success in the sport still appreciating the wins, the fans, the team etc.

As much as his talent can't be understated I just can't bring myself to watch Verstappen finish 30 seconds ahead of his nearest rival and then deliver a monotone interview to the press about how the team made mistakes which 'we'll have to look into'. You feel like giving him a good shake and a slap round the face. You've just won the grand prix, people dream of being in that position and yet somehow you reduce it down to a granular "why didn't we pit a lap earlier and finish 31 seconds ahead" statistical analysis. I guess it's just his nature and he's paid to pedal the car, not be a personality, but damn it's dull.
Because that’s how you win. McLaren arguably have the fastest car on the grid but are losing because they lack that final bit of precision.

It’s not like other drivers don’t act the same.

Because that’s how you win. McLaren arguably have the fastest car on the grid but are losing because they lack that final bit of precision.

It’s not like other drivers don’t act the same.
That's not how you win.

Re read what the guy said.. Max moans when his won....

His already won. Be grateful and congratulate your team mates

Agreed, a race that was worthy of an eight at best and Lewis's win was on part conditions related, the misfortune of George followed by poor decision making by Mclaren.
However a win is a win...

Wow. Let's dissect that assessment.

You are claiming that the weather was one of the reasons he won? Lewis got passed by both Mclarens when it rained hard, went off the track and lost time as well. The weather affected everyone. The weather didn't play into Lewis's hands only.

Lewis had already overtaken George on pure pace and racecraft, attacking when the rain came down harder. George was not losing performance at that point and was competitive right up until he was told to retire the car. His loss of pace at that point was not due to the water pressure issue. In any case, Lewis was again passed by both Mclarens anyway shortly after that.

On Mclaren's decision making; yes they could have put Lando on the mediums. But they didn't. He had a straight battle softs vs softs with Lando. Lewis brought the tyres in gradually and then consistently delivered fast enough lap times without burning them up to just stay out of Max's DRS range.

You cannot devalue the exceptional drive Lewis made after years of wondering whether he would ever get a win again in his career. To try to do so is quite pathetic.

That's not how you win.

Re read what the guy said.. Max moans when his won....

His already won. Be grateful and congratulate your team mates
He always thanks the team, etc. and when you win by a large margin/have an almost perfect race, you can’t really say much other than “yea maybe we could have improved the pit stop”. Not sure how that’s ungrateful.

Wow. Let's dissect that assessment.

You are claiming that the weather was one of the reasons he won? Lewis got passed by both Mclarens when it rained hard, went off the track and lost time as well. The weather affected everyone. The weather didn't play into Lewis's hands only.

Lewis had already overtaken George on pure pace and racecraft, attacking when the rain came down harder. George was not losing performance at that point and was competitive right up until he was told to retire the car. His loss of pace at that point was not due to the water pressure issue. In any case, Lewis was again passed by both Mclarens anyway shortly after that.

On Mclaren's decision making; yes they could have put Lando on the mediums. But they didn't. He had a straight battle softs vs softs with Lando. Lewis brought the tyres in gradually and then consistently delivered fast enough lap times without burning them up to just stay out of Max's DRS range.

You cannot devalue the exceptional drive Lewis made after years of wondering whether he would ever get a win again in his career. To try to do so is quite pathetic.
A win is win, no need to be so defensive. Lewis's talent is in abundance and there is no doubt of that in my mind and once Mercedes had sorted out the car then Hamilton would be again up at the sharp end of the grid.

I'm purely making an observation of the race that I'm perfectly entitled to have.

The differences in pace with the hard tyres to the soft's of the McLaren was obvious with Oscar's lap times and the Mclaren did not suit the soft tyres at all. McLaren admit themselves the decision to go to the softs, not the hard or the mediums, lost them a possible win. Plus the team left Lando out for one lap longer.
Also, once out front Lewis, could easily protect his tyres as he wasn't having to catch anyone and Lewis's car had more downforce than George's had.

Max also benefited from the errors McLaren made.

It remains to be seen if this is just a one off though as everything played out in favour of the Mercedes and it will be interesting to see how it plays out in Hungary.
Was it an exceptional drive, perhaps we can beg to differ on that.

Last edited:
It was certainly exceptional in the rain as he eased passed Russell. An excellent tyre call too when he told Mercedes no, it’s too early for inters, meanwhile Leclerc is in the pits.

Last edited:
A win is win, no need to be so defensive. Lewis's talent is in abundance and there is no doubt of that in my mind and once Mercedes had sorted out the car then Hamilton would be again up at the sharp end of the grid.

I'm purely making an observation of the race that I'm perfectly entitled to have.

The differences in pace with the hard tyres to the soft's of the McLaren was obvious with Oscar's lap times and the Mclaren did not suit the soft tyres at all. McLaren admit themselves the decision to go to the softs, not the hard or the mediums, lost them a possible win. Plus the team left Lando out for one lap longer.
Also, once out front Lewis, could easily protect his tyres as he wasn't having to catch anyone.

Max also benefited from the errors McLaren made.

It remains to be seen if this is just a one off though as everything played out in favour of the Mercedes and it will be interesting to see how it plays out in Hungary.
Was it an exceptional drive, perhaps we can beg to differ on that.
I guess it just shows this sport is a team game :) Good drivers help to shape the team and vice versa.

I have no clue about the other sport some are referring to, I don't follow football, I never will and I've no interest in watching underperforming and overpaid hairdressers.
As far as I am concerned it is also one team beating another, wherever the driver comes from.

Last edited:
I have no clue about the other sport some are referring to, I don't follow football, I never will and I've no interest in watching underperforming and overpaid hairdressers.
As far as I am concerned it is also one team beating another, wherever the driver comes from.

F1 drivers are far more overpaid given the tiny talent pool they come from. The best football players in the world come from a talent pool of millions due to anyone from any background being able to discover if they have talent and make it to the top, you can live in a favela in Brazil, and if you have the talent you can make it to the top.

Now compare that to motorsport which probably has the smallest talent pool of just about any sport on the planet due to the costs involved, a sport which even at the lowest level of karting is unaffordable to the middle and working classes.

It's a lot more impressive imo to make it to the top of football than it is motorsport. I say this as die-hard F1 fan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom