Poll: Official 2024 British Grand Prix Race Thread - Silverstone Circuit - Race 12/24

Rate the Silverstone race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, obviously, but that is not the point. It is boring to start under a safety car. Like someone else has already said, don't start it at all if you can't do a standing start. Whats the point in starting a race and watching them all go around behind a safety car apart from what someone else has already said, money.

Because if you don't run the cars the cars aren't clearing that water off the track, and because the start is the most dangerous time so if you can make that safer you can start the race in worse conditions. As I said above, the choice isn't "rolling start" or "standing start"; it's "get to race at all" or "don't race" - or, if you're lucky "start the race much later and maybe not have time for a full race anyway".

Last edited:
F1 as a sport that exists today has been going since 1946, Lewis has been racing in the sport for > 20% of the entire time it has existed. As a sport ambassador, there are very very few people who can compare to that. Alonso has been in the sport for longer, but he's not much of an ambassador for the UK in that respect.
Which makes sense - Alonso has a pretty significant Spanish following. People will usually favour their home driver but it varies depending on how long you’ve watched the sport.

Like I said, I understand the perspective and I’d rather have him in the sport than another pay driver.

F1 as a sport that exists today has been going since 1946, Lewis has been racing in the sport for > 20% of the entire time it has existed. As a sport ambassador, there are very very few people who can compare to that. Alonso has been in the sport for longer, but he's not much of an ambassador for the UK in that respect.
And his won probably 50 percent of the seasons his been in so roughly won 10 percent of every single title since 1946

It’s amazing what not winning for a while will do for a drivers popularity. Hamilton’s always been popular but also unpopular as is the case with most successful sport stars and teams. Yet give him a two year drought and all of a sudden randoms are happy for him to win and him winning is classed as a “feel good moment”.

If he starts winning regularly again then expect the knives to come out sharpish

Entertaining race, couldn't really call the winner until the last few laps. Hopefuly McLaren can up their pitstop/tyre calls

Don't think this'll be a new dawn for merc, expect them behind Red Bull and McLaren again next time out

I’m sure his fans will, but if you aren’t a fan now, what would change when he retires?

Talent aside, I find Lewis to be incredibly boring, but as an Alonso fan, I was sad when he left and excited to see him return, so I can understand the impact to a portion of the sport.
You find Lewis boring because it offends your politics I would suggest your post history suggests it And? Why on earth would find he's driving boring. Waiting for stumblebum etc and that tedious fool from Lincolnshire to jump in

You find Lewis boring because it offends your politics I would suggest your post history suggests it And? Why on earth would find he's driving boring. Waiting for stumblebum etc and that tedious fool from Lincolnshire to jump in
lol? I just find him to be a boring personality, which has nothing to do with his driving. Dude is plain yoghurt.

I’d actually like him more if his fans vanished. You’re a good example of one who didn’t read my comment (I said “talent aside”) and swooped in to defend your man. Team LH is right up there with Swiftys.

I’m sure his fans will, but if you aren’t a fan now, what would change when he retires?

Talent aside, I find Lewis to be incredibly boring, but as an Alonso fan, I was sad when he left and excited to see him return, so I can understand the impact to a portion of the sport.

What exactly do you find boring about Lewis?

What exactly do you find boring about Lewis?
Not sure why this is such a hot topic - can’t imagine that everyone likes every driver?

He always looks like he’d rather be somewhere else; rarely participates in media events, and is just generally a bit sulky. Not saying he isn’t passionate about racing, but he doesn’t put out the same vibe that you get from other champions.

His Hot Ones interview was incredibly boring but to be fair, the questions sucked.

Entertaining race, couldn't really call the winner until the last few laps. Hopefuly McLaren can up their pitstop/tyre calls

Don't think this'll be a new dawn for merc, expect them behind Red Bull and McLaren again next time out
Agreed, a race that was worthy of an eight at best and Lewis's win was on part conditions related, the misfortune of George followed by poor decision making by Mclaren.
However a win is a win...

It’s amazing what not winning for a while will do for a drivers popularity. Hamilton’s always been popular but also unpopular as is the case with most successful sport stars and teams. Yet give him a two year drought and all of a sudden randoms are happy for him to win and him winning is classed as a “feel good moment”.

If he starts winning regularly again then expect the knives to come out sharpish
I don’t think people mind a driver winning regularly if it’s down to skill, it’s when they are winning due to the car being much better than anyone else’s which can get a bit tiring.

That’s F1 though. Next year will be the pinnacle like 2021 and then we’ll be back to the start again in 2026.. Hopefully a different team get the rules right this time. It would be good to see a dominant Ferrari again. I think most people will be over its dominance of the 90’s/early 00’s by now. :D

Plus we then don’t have to see a smug Horner for a bit. Lol

I don’t think people mind a driver winning regularly if it’s down to skill, it’s when they are winning due to the car being much better than anyone else’s which can get a bit tiring.
Yes I recall the years of domination by Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes also.
Anyone would think with Red Bull it was something new but these periods always happen when there are major changes brought about to the cars.

I fully expect there will be again in 2026 a dominant constructor until, like it is now, the rest catch up.

However let's give credit to these guys, and also to all the members of the team, it's never as easy as it looks to provide a car then to keep on winning. A car doesn't drive itself either and takes great levels of skill from all to just compete, let alone win and win constantly with the pressure that brings. Yes there are those who will underperform, there are those who struggle to adapt to certain characteristics of the car, but sometimes there is more to it than what we see.

Last edited:
Yes I recall the years of domination by Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes also.
Anyone would think with Red Bull it was something new but these periods always happen when there are major changes brought about to the cars.

I fully expect there will be again in 2026 a dominant constructor until, like it is now, the rest catch up.

However let's give credit to these guys, and also to all the members of the team, it's never as easy as it looks to provide a car then to keep on winning. A car doesn't drive itself either and takes great levels of skill from all to just compete, let alone win and win constantly with the pressure that brings. Yes there are those who will underperform, there are those who struggle to adapt to certain characteristics of the car, but sometimes there is more to it than what we see.
Yea it's times for every single f1 fan to give Hamilton his flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom