Poll: Official 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Race 13/24

Rate the Budapest race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the poll result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Commissario
I do think these are funny, he's gone a great job of the radio comms here and all the drivers have their own personalities and quirks based mostly on real-life stuff.

Soldato
The significant difference here is that Hamilton received a penalty for the incident - and immediately apologised on the radio and then in person to Piastri. Piastri even stated in the post race interview that Hamilton had come to find him immediately to apologise and 'there's not many drivers who do that'.

I have no idea how you think it was a worst move, Piastri is in Hamilton's blind spot as Hamilton moves across and causes the collision. It's caused by Hamilton, it's his fault and he rightly gets the penalty.

Max sends a move down the inside with no chance of making the corner, no chance of stopping in time and causes a collision - then immediately complains on the radio, refuses to apologise post-race and even in the stewards session doesn't take responsibility for it.

It really is amazing what lengths people will go to in order to defend Max and his driving standards at times. He's a phenomenal racer but the incidents and his actions post-race are what causes the post-race discussion to be this way.
I said the move deserved a penalty, and am absolutely not going out of my way to defend the driving. I just think it’s a standard OcUK attitude to fine-tooth comb Max incidents, whilst ignoring others.
The reason I think the Hamilton one was worse, as he seemingly forgot that Piastri existed and moved back to the racing line. Not the first time he’d done that too.
Apologizing is great, but it doesn’t change the fact it was an awful (and dangerous) move.
Ultimately, I still think this race has been a negative for both Max and Lando. We’ll need to see if they clear their names in the next one.

Associate
I said the move deserved a penalty, and am absolutely not going out of my way to defend the driving. I just think it’s a standard OcUK attitude to fine-tooth comb Max incidents, whilst ignoring others.
The reason I think the Hamilton one was worse, as he seemingly forgot that Piastri existed and moved back to the racing line. Not the first time he’d done that too.
Apologizing is great, but it doesn’t change the fact it was an awful (and dangerous) move.
Ultimately, I still think this race has been a negative for both Max and Lando. We’ll need to see if they clear their names in the next one.
No no, my comment about defending the driver was more in general rather than towards you directly.

I think you've got an audience on OCUK that is older and has been watching F1 for a longer time than on other platforms - so it's less about being fans of particular drivers and more about enjoying the sport and not necessarily minding who wins as long as the race is enjoyable and fair. There's obvious bias in instances, that's clear to see at times.

I do find it mad that you think Hamilton's move in Monza was worse. For me, that's a shocking take.

Soldato
I do find it mad that you think Hamilton's move in Monza was worse. For me, that's a shocking take.
He blindly moved over on/drove over Oscar, broke his wing, Lewis gained position, and Oscar lost places because he had to pit to fix said broken wing.

Wait, there was a good quote earlier that would explain why you disagree.
There's obvious bias in instances, that's clear to see at times.

Last edited:
Soldato
Let's just argue about another incident because Lewis/Max usual blah :o

I just watched the Lewis/Piastri one because it was donkey's ago and one thing that's clear is that Lewis was miles ahead of Oscar before the corner. The move was done. I guess he obviously thought Oscar had backed out or something, but I don't know. He said he misjudged the gap on the right. The point is he wasn't making a mad lunge with a hot head. The context is important.

You really think this is worse than a mad out of control lunge? Ooookkk... Plenty of drivers get a move done and happily take up the racing line which means the other car has to back out. It's incomparable to the MAx/Lewis incident.

This is the real difference though, obviously;

Associate
Offending driver aside, you'd think that Lewis would have checked his mirrors and not turned in to avoid possibly ruining his own race.
I'm sure Lewis saw him just fine, the problem was that Max went straight on instead of turning into the corner. I don't think there's anything he could've done to avoid it, you can't just go straight on in case the other driver locks up.

Soldato
On the flip side, if this wasn’t Max and was Stroll or someone then I’m sure 100% of this forum would be denouncing the move.
That is so amusing, I think it can easily be said that if it wasn't Max and Stroll, maybe Lewis instead, then I'm 100% sure not many would be bleating on about it..

Soldato
Let's just argue about another incident because Lewis/Max usual blah :o

I just watched the Lewis/Piastri one because it was donkey's ago and one thing that's clear is that Lewis was miles ahead of Oscar before the corner. The move was done...

... You really think this is worse than a mad out of control lunge?
The move wasn't done, as the car was still alongside him. You can't just pointlessly swerve back on to the racing line when the car you haven't quite passed yet is still there. If the move was really done, the collision wouldn't have occurred.
Do I think it's worse? Yes, as that was a wild side-swipe. Now, obviously it's nothing compared to Vettel's antics of many years ago (Baku?), but it's not good.

Last edited:
Associate
Agree, it isn't. Lewis driving into Piastri and ruining his race, while gaining an advantage, is way worse.

The outcome was way worse but the move itself was no worse than Verstappens this weekend. Both were misjudgements and neither worthy of heavy criticism.

Not sure why anyone is comparing those incidents though. The Hamilton and Piastri incident is much better compared to Norris and Verstappen in Austria.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure why anyone is comparing those incidents though. The Hamilton and Piastri incident is much better compared to Norris and Verstappen in Austria.
It's compared due to the tendency to hyper-focus on one driver's incidents, whilst being oblivious to others.
I saw it being likened to Stroll, but I think that is a truly terribly comparison. Hamilton and Verstappen are good drivers who make mistakes. Stroll is a bad driver who is a mistake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom