Poll: Official 2024 Miami Grand Prix Race Thread - Miami International Autodrome - Race 6/24

Rate the Miami race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
"The cone at turn 15 - what happened there?"
Max: "I didn't like it, so I decided to take it out. And test the durability of the front wing so that's the crash test done"

When asked whether he still would have won without the safety car..
"It's always if, if, if. If my mother had balls she'd be my dad."

Comes across very unprofessional. Maybe it's just me...

Yea sounds about right. I think he’s also trying to be funny but just comes off cringe most of the time.

Man of Honour
OP
How can you lose time behind a safety car ?
They were 1st and 2nd before and after. Lando maintained track position because of it, but I fully expected Max to come barrelling past once they were released, never happened though.

Obviously at the end the cars were together behind the safety car but in the interim while the car was being sent out the gap increased dramatically from 11.5 seconds when the safety car was initially called; to 32 seconds when he actually made his stop - so he gained 20 seconds in the mid part of the safety car procedure.

Its likely Lando would still have ended up 1st as the 11 seconds should have been enough anyway but it could have been a lot tighter.

Man of Honour
OP
Yea sounds about right. I think he’s also trying to be funny but just comes off cringe most of the time.

I don't think we can measure a Belgian/Dutch sense of humour through the lens of being a Brit - its just not the same at all.
I've worked with loads of Dutch people and their sense of humour is very different to ours

Soldato
Bit of a fake win with safety car lottery there though. Max is still in the fastest package by far. Normal service will resume next race.

A win is a win, and Max has benefited plenty of times over the years with safety cars etc....

I don't doubt it will be "normal service" but lets give Lando some credit.

Associate
I don't think we can measure a Belgian/Dutch sense of humour through the lens of being a Brit - its just not the same at all.
I've worked with loads of Dutch people and their sense of humour is very different to ours
Definitely this - Seb had a similar vibe.

Also, the questions are often stupid and most drivers either give a vague answer, as the real answer would require full analysis by the team, or make a joke of it.

Associate

I understand what you’re saying but same could be said about other people who come from different backgrounds.

You have people with good sense of humour and are funny and those that try to be who are not. When Seb says stuff to be funny, quite often he is actually funny and it’s understood whether you’re a Brit or not.

Alonso too and list goes on. Max is a robot built for one thing, driving fast and winning races. Cannot deny his talent behind the wheel. But I think it’s obvious when he’s trying to be funny and isn’t, it doesn’t come natural to him imo, and it’s also obvious when he’s salty.

From what I saw of him yesterday I thought he was absolutely fine and happy for Lando. The comments he made in the post race interview with Lando and Charles I did not see but can believe how he came across as he's done it many times before.

Reactions: mjt
Soldato
To be honest, watching it, he doesn't come across as 'being a dick' at all imo.

He'd probably get more flak if he answered "Without the safety car Lando had no chance, I'm clearly better, I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I **** excellence"

Soldato
The upgrades clearly have gone in the right direction, the pace of Oscar with only having half of them was impressive, feel for him.
At the end of the day, Max had no answer for Lando in that last stint. The SC may have given over track position but those McLaren’s looked fast indeed. Hopefully this isn’t a one-off though, these regs still seems to create weirdness at different tracks for different cars which nobody really seems to understand.
Comes across very unprofessional. Maybe it's just me...
Is that what he said?! That’s just bizarre :confused:

Edit: So nice to hear the national anthem on the podium again, been a while!

Edit 2: Still pretty upset that McLaren allowed Trump to visit the garage. Why didn’t they just say no?

Last edited:
Associate
I have dutch friends and they're the same, its not rudeness its a difference of culture, to me sainz is always grumpy both in looks and in attitude but thats mostly his spanish ethnicity. the worse thing you can really do in anything is judge someone against your own standards without understanding theirs.

Max is straight forward speaking.

Not sure how anyone can say Lando's win was tainted by a safety car, might as well say that for every race that has an SC/VSC/Red Flag

Edit:
Also KMag got a 20s penalty for entering the pitlane under SC conditions,

The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 20 (Kevin Magnussen), teamrepresentative and reviewed video evidence and determined that Car 20 entered thepit lane during the safety car period and did not change tyres as required underArticle 55.11 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Last edited:
Associate
Also KMag got a 20s penalty for entering the pitlane under SC conditions,

The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 20 (Kevin Magnussen), teamrepresentative and reviewed video evidence and determined that Car 20 entered thepit lane during the safety car period and did not change tyres as required underArticle 55.11 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Definitely a weekend to forget for KMag

Soldato
Most interesting take away for me is that Red Bull car couldn't catch the McLaren, at the restart, even though Lando made a terrible job of the restart he still kept ahead and extending the lead. So by the posters in this this thread, Max needs to retire now since the car was the same as the one he started with which flew off the line. :p

Caporegime
I wonder whether Mercedes considered that a penalty may occur as Lewis was, after the penalty applied, like 0.1/0.2s from 5th place... Did they give Lewis any hint as he may have tried to go a wee bit faster (as much as that dog of a merc can) to get ahead.

Probably not asMercedes just aren't on the ball and their strategy sucks.

I'm annoyed they didn't leave Lewis out a bit longer. He started on the hards and they only pitted him a lap or two after Russell on the mediums. He was only really racing Russell so I'd have thought they'd have left him out longer seen as he started on the hards and they could have waited a bit longer for a safety car..if they'd just waited one more lap and pitted under the safety car, and with Lewis's pace on the mediums he might have even been close to a podium. Opportunity missed.

As you say, if they were keeping tabs on investigations, they should have told Lewis to keep up the chuff of Perez seen Ashe was half a second behind him for half the race before the last few laps.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely a weekend to forget for KMag
Kmag's driving standard have always been awful. He's one of the worst offenders for moving under braking and generally being a stubborn, last ditch defender going over the top. I remember he nearly caused a massive accident at spa one year I'm sure.

Associate
It's part of what he said.

Ok now I've just seen that I wouldn't say that Max was being a dick towards Lando in any way or in general. Think he's too used to being sat there answering similar questions after every race.

Landos reaction was a 'wtf' moment , was an unexpected response lol

Soldato
Most interesting take away for me is that Red Bull car couldn't catch the McLaren, at the restart, even though Lando made a terrible job of the restart he still kept ahead and extending the lead. So by the posters in this this thread, Max needs to retire now since the car was the same as the one he started with which flew off the line. :p

It's because it's the first time in a while where Max has had to follow in dirty air. It's much harder when you aren't out in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom