Poll: Official 2024 Spanish Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya - Race 10/24

Rate the Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a bad start yesterday then had a great race. As Chandhok said yesterday, the race outcome may have been very difficult if he'd not been stuck for as long as he was behind Russell.
Lets see how he goes now that he knows the car is there.
Quite, we don't know why he had wheel spin when going from 1st to 2nd gear yet and this might not have been doen to him, then he got blocked in the corner.
But to beat Max everything has to be 100%...

Quite, we don't know why he had wheel spin when going from 1st to 2nd gear yet and this might not have been doen to him, then he got blocked in the corner.
But to beat Max everything has to be 100%...
Surely wheel spin is down to the driver and their launch management? I know there are some electronic controls but a driver can still spin the wheels.
What is it that Red Bull are doing to these drivers then? Explain.
Ignore him, he has Merc brain.

Surely wheel spin is down to the driver and their launch management? I know there are some electronic controls but a driver can still spin the wheels.

Ignore him, he has Merc brain.
Off the line possibly, however we don't know why it took place when changing from from 1st to 2nd gear...

The car itself has definitely improved but Max mentioned in an interview that it isn’t as easy to drive as the last one. I think we’re seeing Perez’s limit.

Or he just doesn’t have sufficient talent. There are plenty drivers on the grid who could do better in that car.
Yeah, I’ve said before that I believe that car is a handful and Max is one of the top tier drivers that can drive whatever is beneath him rather than preferring a particular style of car.

Off the line possibly, however we don't know why it took place when changing from from 1st to 2nd gear...
1,000hp would be my guess - it's an insane amount of pressure and those cars can wheel spin in 3rd. Maybe also down to tyres cooling down having waited on the grid for longer than the rest.

I can't remember who it was, but some driver used to launch in 2nd.

Yeah, I’ve said before that I believe that car is a handful and Max is one of the top tier drivers that can drive whatever is beneath him rather than preferring a particular style of car.
At least it's a quick handful.

All of the greats can drive basically anything. Alonso driving that trash heap of a Ferrari in 2014 is a good example, whereas RIC is an example of a driver who only really fits one style.

It’s just what RB do to drivers who aren’t called Max…
Nah, Perez is not adjusting to the car being less compliant over the bumps this year as well as Max has.

The Constructor’s Championship is as important to RBR than Max winning another Driver’s Championship which is why they need their No. 2 driver to be on the podium as often as possible to maximise team points.

If Checo can’t get his act together and Ferrari/Mercedes/McLaren continue to close the early season performance gap, there’s good chance that RBR won’t win the Constructor’s this year.

I can't remember who it was, but some driver used to launch in 2nd.
Bottas famously in the Pits :)

But more seriously various drivers have over the years (including Max), depends entirely on the track and weather conditions.

With a slightly damp track it can help reduce the initial torque to prevent wheelspin. Similarly with tracks that have a downhill grid, 2nd can be used as with the momentum gained from the downhill, you'd need to change up even sooner anyway.

Some other discussion here:

Last edited:
It could be nothing but since Newey announced he was off they have fallen off a cliff.

If anyone could help get it done it'll be Lewis trying to make an "overtake" into T1.

Max was almost a second quicker than last year and Lando is over a second quicker - weird "cliff".

For the 1st 5 races (inc a Max mechanical) Red Bull averaged 39. points. Newey accouned he was off before round 6. In the 5 races since they have averaged 27.8.

A relative Cliff has been fallen from.

For the 1st 5 races (inc a Max mechanical) Red Bull averaged 39. points. Newey accouned he was off before round 6. In the 5 races since they have averaged 27.8.

A relative Cliff has been fallen from.
And if the other teams hasn’t made such significant leaps in performance, Max would have way more points.

There’s no cliff. The RB is a good car and has been a good car since the start of the era. The new concept is faster but comes with some difficulties.

The fact that it’s more difficult to drive could be Newey related due to internal restructuring, but unless you actually work there, there is no way to know what influence he’s had on this car.

Last edited:
I'd love Lando to win the wdc this year, but I think that even if the car is on a par or slightly faster than the RB through the rest of the season , Max will take it. Max is used to the pressure, has far more experience of fighting at the front, and RB are a well oiled machine used to winning and often very good at strategy.

I think both McLaren and Norris will make too many mistakes. Their only real hope is if Max suffers some awful luck and has 3 or 4 DNFs and they don't get any.

As Norris said, he could have won today if he didn't have such a poor start and didn't then get stuck behind Russell.

Last edited:
Watched the highlights and not bad. IMO I don't believe Lando is on the same level as Max and I am no fan of Max. Lando makes too many mistakes considering how long he has been in F1. Again in my humble opinion only Lewis or Fred can take the fight to Max over the course of a season.
Fred?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom