• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official 3DMark 'Fire Strike' Leaderboard**

Soldato
go to 1.384v and bench 1350 on core :D

Nah, they coil whine like hell at 1.3v and they are hot as hell at 1.3v 80c+ unless I run default fan speeds of around 60% they stay at 60c. at 1.2v no coil whine at all.

One of my cards is Hynix and one is Eplida, the Hynix card gets about 30c hotter VRM. sinks on it are absolutely not worth a ****.

I only volted them up to 1.2 today to see what the best clocks I can get from running my rig silent. they are both identical vapor-x cards, but like I say the Hynix one is crap, iv always ran it in the top slot. but today ivmoved it to the bottom slot and now both gpus are absolutely equal temperatures to the exact degree because the Hynix card at the bottom now has the free air, and the heat from the vrm is getting drawn into the top card. and I run the fans on them both at 33%, which for a gpu is absolutely nothing on air, most vapor-x cards run around 60% fan speed or above.

so at 1.2v, 1200/1450, they both run at a solid 70c at 33% fan speed, which is only a few % over idle fan speeds, and they are 100% silent. I have 5 corsair AF140s running at the lowest speeds possible, my rigs is that silent I can hear the H110 pump over the top of them so im pleased with what iv achieved with how iv set my system up. :)

Although ofc, when I run 3dmark, I just ramp up the fan speeds on everything just to be sure I don't fry anything

so to sum it up, if I ran stock fan speeds which is noisy both cards would run at 50-60c.

Hynix top card @ 33% silent fan speeds 1.2v: 77-83c Vrm temp 100c
Elpida bottom card @ 33% silent fand speeds 1.2v: 61-65c Vrm temp 70c

Elpida top card @ 33% silent fan speeds 1.2v: 70c vrm temp 75c
Hynix bottom card @ 33% silent fan speeds 1.2v: 70-71c Vrm temp 80c

& the before temps
Hynix top 33% silent fan speeds 1.138v: 70c Vrm temp 90c
Elpida bottom card 33% silent fan speeds 1.138v: 52c Vrm temp 65c

And at 1.138v I could only get 1150/1450, so iv gained 50mhz both cards and they run equal temperatures and still silent. and it actually makes a difference when gaming, few fps here there better lows fps so im happy, todays clocking session I was just getting the best silent performance that I could.

People say the Hynix cards clock better, but jesus iv not seen no evidence of that, my Elpida memory clocks about 200mhz higher, but I just run them identical. the elpida memory is 1.6v too compaired to 1.5v Hynix, and the vrm sinks on the Hynix are crap.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Nah, they coil whine like hell at 1.3v and they are hot as hell at 1.3v 80c+ unless I run default fan speeds of around 60% they stay at 60c. at 1.2v no coil whine at all.

One of my cards is Hynix and one is Eplida, the Hynix card gets about 30c hotter VRM. sinks on it are absolutely not worth a ****.

I only volted them up to 1.2 today to see what the best clocks I can get from running my rig silent. they are both identical vapor-x cards, but like I say the Hynix one is crap, iv always ran it in the top slot. but today ivmoved it to the bottom slot and now both gpus are absolutely equal temperatures to the exact degree because the Hynix card at the bottom now has the free air, and the heat from the vrm is getting drawn into the top card. and I run the fans on them both at 33%, which for a gpu is absolutely nothing on air, most vapor-x cards run around 60% fan speed or above.

so at 1.2v, 1200/1450, they both run at a solid 70c at 33% fan speed, which is only a few % over idle fan speeds, and they are 100% silent. I have 5 corsair AF140s running at the lowest speeds possible, my rigs is that silent I can hear the H110 pump over the top of them so im pleased with what iv achieved with how iv set my system up. :)

Although ofc, when I run 3dmark, I just ramp up the fan speeds on everything just to be sure I don't fry anything

so to sum it up, if I ran stock fan speeds which is noisy both cards would run at 50-60c.

Hynix top card @ 33% silent fan speeds 1.2v: 77-83c Vrm temp 100c
Elpida bottom card @ 33% silent fand speeds 1.2v: 61-65c Vrm temp 70c

Elpida top card @ 33% silent fan speeds 1.2v: 70c vrm temp 75c
Hynix bottom card @ 33% silent fan speeds 1.2v: 70-71c Vrm temp 80c

& the before temps
Hynix top 33% silent fan speeds 1.138v: 70c Vrm temp 90c
Elpida bottom card 33% silent fan speeds 1.138v: 52c Vrm temp 65c

And at 1.138v I could only get 1150/1450, so iv gained 50mhz both cards and they run equal temperatures and still silent. and it actually makes a difference when gaming, few fps here there better lows fps so im happy, todays clocking session I was just getting the best silent performance that I could.

People say the Hynix cards clock better, but jesus iv not seen no evidence of that, my Elpida memory clocks about 200mhz higher, but I just run them identical. the elpida memory is 1.6v too compaired to 1.5v Hynix, and the vrm sinks on the Hynix are crap.

Ask everyone who has had hawaii cards with and without hynix/Elpida.

Soldato
Ask everyone who has had hawaii cards with and without hynix/Elpida.

Yeah, people with Tahiti cards say the Hynix is better, but in my case I guess I just got a bad Hynix with the vrm temperatures and poor vrm sink design compaired to my elpida ones, even the gpu core on the Hynix card is hotter then the elpida card, and the elpida card looks cheaper and flimsier if that makes sense though they are both 7950s and identical or supposed to be.

The Hynix card maxes out 1450 memory 1.5v, and really really hot vrm.

the elpida maxes out 1600 mem 1.6v and cool.

but iv not even bothered upping the volts on the memory on the Hynix to overclick it further than 1450 because the vrm temperature is so bad, I recon it could clock high though if it was cooled properly.

I wish they made a water block for the 7950, but yet again its not worth bothering about this day in age, by the time I have enough beer money left over to upgrade something new will be out and ill just pick up two 290x's for around 200 quid and use these cards in my missis rig. :)

Mobster
Soldato
Yeah, people with Tahiti cards say the Hynix is better, but in my case I guess I just got a bad Hynix with the vrm temperatures and poor vrm sink design compaired to my elpida ones, even the gpu core on the Hynix card is hotter then the elpida card, and the elpida card looks cheaper and flimsier if that makes sense though they are both 7950s and identical or supposed to be.

The Hynix card maxes out 1450 memory 1.5v, and really really hot vrm.

the elpida maxes out 1600 mem 1.6v and cool.

but iv not even bothered upping the volts on the memory on the Hynix to overclick it further than 1450 because the vrm temperature is so bad, I recon it could clock high though if it was cooled properly.

I wish they made a water block for the 7950, but yet again its not worth bothering about this day in age, by the time I have enough beer money left over to upgrade something new will be out and ill just pick up two 290x's for around 200 quid and use these cards in my missis rig. :)

My 7970s Hynix does 1880 and i know of people who have cards that can do 1900-1950 :D. The reference Tahitis were always the best ones :D

Mobster
Soldato
no but seriously, the scaling isnt very good. Since when did you find that acceptable? People would reign hell on AMD owners if AMD had scaling and framtimes like that...

But alright, back on topic.

Back
Top Bottom