• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

I have a dual HD 7990 water cooled system. The 4 GPU's was purring like a kitten for a few years but a few weeks ago thing started to go wobbly. I notice that one of the core will suspend or drop utilisation during hard use. And sometimes the system will crash.

As it is now I can't boot the windows 10 PC with the card that has the offending GPU.

That makes it hard to flash any bios or use the pc for anything. Is there a way to turn off/disable the offending GPU that windows don't even detect it? Preferably from bootable USB ? 3 GPU is better than 2

Why dont ya try pulling out the broken card and booting into windows, then see if the remaining 2 GPUs are seperate in device manager. It might just show 1x7990 or maybe it will show 2x7970 i dunno cause ive never had a dual card.

If theyre separate you could try running DDU to remove the drivers then put the broken card back in and disabling that broken GPU in device manager before ya reinstall drivers.

I have done that. But the problem is the moment the second gpu is being initialized then Windows 10 restarts. And for some reason I can't disable an unknown vidoe card using device manager. That option is grayed out. So I was hoping I can disable it in its bios before windows detects it.

Why dont ya try pulling out the broken card and booting into windows, then see if the remaining 2 GPUs are seperate in device manager. It might just show 1x7990 or maybe it will show 2x7970 i dunno cause ive never had a dual card.

If theyre separate you could try running DDU to remove the drivers then put the broken card back in and disabling that broken GPU in device manager before ya reinstall drivers.

Just out of interest. It shows 4 HD7990 when normal.

Have ya tried flashing it with a custom bios? You could modify your bios to make that GPU run at .8v and 300 mhz, it may reduce the strain enough to allow you to just make it into windows. Then you can disable the faulty one and i think the rest would probably go back upto full speed.

That would rely on the bios having separate options for each core and not just a single set that is applied to both, if it only has one set of options you could try reflashing it back to the original bios once you've disabled the faulty gpu in windows.

Theres also this i just found google searching. http://ccm.net/faq/1886-enable-disable-a-device-from-the-command-line

Have ya tried flashing it with a custom bios? You could modify your bios to make that GPU run at .8v and 300 mhz, it may reduce the strain enough to allow you to just make it into windows. Then you can disable the faulty one and i think the rest would probably go back upto full speed.

That would rely on the bios having separate options for each core and not just a single set that is applied to both, if it only has one set of options you could try reflashing it back to the original bios once you've disabled the faulty gpu in windows.

Theres also this i just found google searching. http://ccm.net/faq/1886-enable-disable-a-device-from-the-command-line

I have managed to get it going on windows 10 by booting into safe mode and disabling the offending GPU. Took trail and error to get the right one but now it works.

IMG-20160926-WA0002.jpg

Boem! 9 GPU's on windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom