• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Well, finally decided to get rid of this. Has been a great card, but I must say that I won't miss the trouble I always had keeping it cool. Many thanks to Matt for all his help and advice setting this up with his bios and keeping it running. Onto the 295x2. I always say that I am going to skip the next gen, but always end up jumping ship and have done so since the 4870X2!

Well, finally decided to get rid of this. Has been a great card, but I must say that I won't miss the trouble I always had keeping it cool. Many thanks to Matt for all his help and advice setting this up with his bios and keeping it running. Onto the 295x2. I always say that I am going to skip the next gen, but always end up jumping ship and have done so since the 4870X2!

Loved my 7990, but the 295x2 deals with the problems the 7990 had and that's the heat.

Has anyone changed the thermal paste on a 7990? Attempting to do this but no matter how hard i try, the two fan connector headers will not budge and i don't want to rip them by forcing them off.

I do recall them being a bit tight but i didnt plan on putting them back so wasnt really bothered if they got too damaged.

It seems like just pulling them straight out with force was the way to go. Sadly the one i was trying to be gentle with ripped, where as the one i didn't spend 15 minutes trying to gentle prize out came out safely. :rolleyes:

Just ordered a replacement shroud off the bay. :)

Well, problem solved!

Chrome open/minimised - clocks on core 1 stick at 501Mhz. Open a game and they only go upto 950Mhz.

Chrome closed - core 1 and core 2 function normally at either 300Mhz or 1000Mhz.

Very strange. Almost couldn't believe it when I noticed.

When I look at a youtube video my 6850s clocks go from 150/300 to 300/1000 and stays there until I restart firefox. There are certain youtube vids which will cause my browser to go laggy. They are very high res, but not all high res videos. I tend to use jdownloader to grab the file and play it in VLC.

For those with well cooled 7990s, you can edit the voltage to higher than 1.3V useing vbe7.

I edited Matt's custom bios to use 1.4v and I can now get 1200 stable on the core.

If using afterburner, don't enable voltage control as it will override whatever you've sety in the bios with 1.3v.

It seems like just pulling them straight out with force was the way to go. Sadly the one i was trying to be gentle with ripped, where as the one i didn't spend 15 minutes trying to gentle prize out came out safely. :rolleyes:

Just ordered a replacement shroud off the bay. :)

Same thing happened mine, i doubt you'll see better temps. What i was told by amd was the tim they use is literally baked on to improve temps.

Same thing happened mine, i doubt you'll see better temps. What i was told by amd was the tim they use is literally baked on to improve temps.

Temps are okay, but i just wanted to see if i can even out the core temps a little as there's a 4c difference. My last 7990 had identical core temps which is always great for the ocd.

The paste was drier than Ghandi's flip flop, so hoping some fresh Gelid GC Extreme will help. Got to wait for a replacement to come from China now. :D :(

Hey chaps, I currently have a 7970 and I'm looking for a cheapish upgrade if possible. Would the 7990 be worthy or am I better looking at some of the newer cards?

I game at 1440p and prefer to keep all my settings on the highest possible - which is something of a problem these days with the 7970 :D

Hey chaps, I currently have a 7970 and I'm looking for a cheapish upgrade if possible. Would the 7990 be worthy or am I better looking at some of the newer cards?

I game at 1440p and prefer to keep all my settings on the highest possible - which is something of a problem these days with the 7970 :D

I game at 1440 and always put everything highest and not really had to lower the graphic settings, except for Project cars I can't have ultra but have to lower it a little, GTA V runs really well, shadow of mordor and assetto corsa and BF4. It's a great card you just need to lower the volts to keep it cool.

Is your board capable of crossfire? if so just get another 7970, i play at 1440p with 2 7950s and theyre still very capable, i hit the vmem cap in a few games but im never short of FPS.

Tis a very cheap upgrade and will virtually double your fps, as long as your mobo and PSU are up to the task.

Well it is but the second slot is only a 4x.

Not really sure if that causes many problems. Some say it will, some say it wont lol.

Ah i see thats a shame, yeah i guess if you could sell your card it will drop the price of the 7990, ive been looking out for one of them cards for ages cheap. but ive never seen one enough of a bargain to tempt me.

Any chance someone could post up their Afterburner fan control curve screenshot?

My 7990 was hitting 93 degrees in Heaven bench on setting of

Core - 1000
volts - 1165
Memory 1500

Ideally I'm after quietness and not an overclock. Suggestions would be great :)

Back
Top Bottom