**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Associate
loads of you have posted with probs with the northbridge temps. mine was hovering around 35 with 1.6v through it and that was with the thermalright xp120 overhanging the mofset. now stuck a zalman passive cooler onto the top of the asus heatpipe bit on the northbridge - getting temps in high 20's now.

also which is the best bios version? there are no release notes about the 1007 beta version which is what i'm running now. this gives max cpu volts at 1.550v but have seen screen shots where 1.65v are available. any suggestions?

what are peoples bios settings for memory? i can only get 260mhz out of mine and its corsairs twinx 4400. have tried a different pair of memory sticks and a different 3700 cpu but hasn't helped. wierd thing is if i increase volts above 2.65 i get loads of errors in memtest test 8.

also asus albooster says my fsb is at 1040mhz when the hyper transport is set to 3 so should be at 780mhz. anyone else had this problem?

Associate
Yea Metal m8 , totally agree with what you are saying.Both my 6800gt's are fitted with Artic Coolers and temps never go above 70c even after 5 hours of mohaa online . mostly they idle around 55-60c the case temp is around 30-35 in the hot weather we have been having.Temps are not an issue.Ive got all the peg disabled and still have the freezing and crashing.It even happened with nothing installed but windows with sp2 didnt even get to put any drivers on before the system crashed giving an error code the same i had when the everything was installed with drivers etc.
Been looking around at Abit's support forum and Guru3d nothing reported like this when peeps having been using their mobos with the same sort of other hardware like yourself and I.Think i cut my loses and buy another Abit SLi mobo and give that a go, wont bother rma'ing back to overclockers as matey said on the phone that they use them in there high end systems with no problems.I just know when they get mine back there gonna test it and say it's work fine! and then i'll have to shell out another £10 + delivery + vat to get it back. not worth the hassle or more expense.

Associate
3DMark05, Memtest and prime95 all ran for hours without any errors, so I will wait untill the 80.xx forceware drivers are released to see if they stop the freezing.
My sytem has never crashed in windows, only in some games.

Associate
Premium with an X2 3800+

Just to change the flow of the thread again, what coolers are you guys using with your Premium? Ive got an X2 3800+ and want to get it up 2.4, so what do you reckon would be the best cooler to get?

Cheers :)

Associate
coolers

Im using the Akasa EVO 33 'custom pc mag's' choice of 939 cooler or theres the ARTIC COOLER FREEZER.In there tests the Akasa was up to 17c cooler then the ref AMD one and it has a fan speed contoller something which the Freezer hasnt.Choice is yours OcUK sell both.

Soldato
metalmackey said:
My sytem has never crashed in windows, only in some games.

What does it do ? Lock the system or just shut the game down ?
Certainly sounds like SLi driver issues, I would have expected nvidia to have that sorted by now :(

Associate
Vogon said:
What does it do ? Lock the system or just shut the game down ?
Certainly sounds like SLi driver issues, I would have expected nvidia to have that sorted by now :(
It locks the system and I have to hold in the power button to turn it off (wont go back to windows).
My brother moved the soundcard so it wasn't sharing an irq with any of the graphics cards. The soundcards firewire port is sharing an irq with 1 of the graphics cards but I can't change it's irq, is on 18 at the moment and I would like the firewire port on 10, 11 or 12 which are free.

Associate
I MIGHT of solved the freezing by using forceware 78.11, Painkiller and Fear demo (runs much smoother now) didn't crash but didn't play for long (too late). Will give the games a good test tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fidens said:
OK. I just bought one of these tonight. Should I try to change my order or what?

From what I just read everyone is having problems with them???

Nah I am well pleased with mine, its the SLi ppl who seem to have issues, but I think that may be down to nvidia drivers more than anything ... with a single card as I have, its been rock solid stable :)

Associate
has anyone else had problems with their ram slots on this board. am running corsair twinx4400 2*512mb sticks in a1 and b1 slots like it says in manual. i can only get 260mhz & 2.7v. If i increase volts then i get errors so thought problem must be on motherboard. have just tried slots a2 and b2 and now able to run 270mhz @ 2.7v. am still increasing and testing so expect much higher than this. has anyone else come across this? bios is 1007.002beta

Soldato
Wanna hear the most confusing problem ever. My second SATA harddrive keeps disappearing from the bios. From the usualy routine

Turn on machine in morning...boots up, both hd's in bios, into windows, everything loads as normal.....then, after what appears to be a constant time the machine locks up, you can move the mouse, it moves about every 50 seconds, but not programs, and control alt del wont work because the keyboard is totally locked out...cant even turn off/on capslock.

To temp solve, turn off machine, remove second HD, turn on machine, turn off machine, plug in second hd, turn on machine...runs fine...you can restart the pc no problems, but turning it off again will reset the problem i believe, and it will come back but lock up...

ive searched, troubleshooted and posted...but nothing seems to work, the problem itself seems to throw me round in circles, pointing to software then to hardware and vice versa...

think its about time to swap my second hd for an IDE one

Soldato
Have you tried the second sata drive on another port ? ( you have got 8 on the premium to choose from ;)).
And which SATA ports are you using Nv or SiL ?

Associate
loads of people have had that problem of harddrives disappearing on the asus forum. don't think there is a solution yet?

whats the max voltage that people have for cpu core in their bios. have seen screenshots where 1.65v are available but mine (1007.002) only goes upto 1.550v.

Associate
metalmackey said:
I MIGHT of solved the freezing by using forceware 78.11, Painkiller and Fear demo (runs much smoother now) didn't crash but didn't play for long (too late). Will give the games a good test tomorrow and see what happens.
Painkiller and FEAR demo didn't crash:) BF2 crashed 3 times after 5 to 20mins of play:(so i Turned off sli in the Nvidia options and BF2 ran Just as smooth with one card and the same settings (max everything) with no crashes. So it must be a driver problem as before i couldn't even run painkiller in sli because it crashed every time.

Back
Top Bottom