**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Associate
My new MB will be arriving this week hopefully *crosses fingers* and I was just wondering what drivers I should get? Ive windows with SP2 and ive a Leadtek GeForce 7800GT graphics card.

Associate
Hi,

I am about to install XP onto my new system and would like your advice on the following please

Q1) which sata ports to use, which are best silicon 3114 or the nvidia sata ports ? - I will be using Raid 0 (striping) on 2 wd sata II drives each 250gb ?

Q2) I have seen various posts about major problems with the nvidia chipset driver - ide in particular to do with ver 6.66 - should I install this at all - how do I go about doing this, what would people recommend - I will not be using the on-board sound but a pci creative audidgy 2 zs card ?

Q3) for installing xp pro - do I need to create a floppy disk with drivers for the sata ? - I can do this easily for Silicon 3114 - but where are the drivers for the nvidia ?

My system
asus a8n-sli
amd 64 x2 4400
corsair memory 2gb
2 wd sata ii 250gb drives
2 asus 7800gtx in sli mode

many thanks for your great help and support

Soldato
Q1> nvidia ports 3 and 4 are meant to be best, although I am running nvidia ports 1 and 2 on mine.

Q2> I installed all of the 6.66 drivers except the SW IDE part(and soundcard drivers obviously). This comes up as an option during driver install.

Q3>For raid you will need the drivers, there is a make floppy exe are on the Asus CD for this. It is located in: Drivers\Chipset\WINXP_2K\Driver_Disk on the CD, insert a blank formatted floppy and double click the MakeDisk.exe.
At the F6 prompt you will need to install both sets of nvidia drivers.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
gah ive removed the nvidia chipset IDE drivers in add/remove programs but my system still loses that second SATA harddrive....dya think maybe i need to use driver cleaner on it or something?

edit: i think im gonna get rid of my second SATA hd and get an IDE one, that should solve the problem...it might be a dodgy hd anyway as i put it in another machine and it wouldnt find it on there either

more edit: any news on what that new beta bios does?

Last edited:
Soldato
Vogon said:
Change that trashy ballistix for something decent ;)
Seriously I had some and tried it in 2 different Nforce 3 mobo's and that had similar problems, it was rated as pc4000 but it wasn't keen on running it, and would only do it at all at T2.
Besides you have pc3200, its possible your sticks are pants overclockers too.

In the end I phoned crucial and got them to re-imburse me as they were not doing the timings and speed they stated they could, I bought some OCZ plat rev2 with the refund and the difference was night and day !
nope... 2 times now ive had memory go bad on me, and they have replaced it with good ones after

my first batch did:
Chip A, 270 3-4-4-8
Chip B, 265 3-4-4-8
Together 250 3-4-4-8

Chip B died and was replaced with one that could only do 230ish! :eek:

Chip B died again, and i managed to get BOTH replaced due to the newer ones being single sided. Ive yet to test them however since im not totaly sure on all these Nvidia options.

Associate
gord said:
did you install windows with SP2 streamlined on one disk?

have you installed the nforce 4 IDE drivers?

what bios version are you using?
sorry i didnt reply yesterday been ill and in bed allday got the prob solved put in a new 160 gig drive and alls ok :)
thanks for the reply gord !!!!!!!
on another note im using bios 1005 that came with the board and the nvidia drivers that came with the board on the disc at the mo can anyone recomend better drivers or bios because im a nv noob just came over from a few years on ati
thanks again!!!

Last edited:
Associate
I have been using an Asus A8N -sli Premium for about 1 1/2 months and I am quite pleased with it. However, I have encountered a couple of issues and i am wondering if anyone else has had similar experience:

1) Asus probe 2.23.026 indicates Vcore of 1.423 when i choose any Vcore settings between 1.3 and 1.4625V in the bios. Then when i choose 1.475V in the bios 'asus probe' indicates 1.456V.
From what i have seen on the various forums, this is an issue with the Vcore bios selection and Athlon 64 X2 cpu's. Anyone encountered this?

2) If i try to set the memory to DDR500 (my memory should be able to handle this ddr multiplier) with the cpu at fsb 200 (default) in the bios, the cpu settings are modified and the the bios switches the cpu from "maual" to "auto". According to Anadtech, the new memory multipliers i.e. DDR500, DDR466 and DDR433 implemented for the latest core should be available to Athlon 64 X2 cpu's and independent of the cpu fsb. However that doesn't seem to be the case with the A8N Premium? Anyone else encontered this?

I've already filled a technical enquiery to asus, about a week ago, but they have not answered!

Suspended
Anyone use the Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 with this mobo? From the way the socket is it looks like I'd have to have the fan on it blowing up or down. Which isn't really what I want. Unless theres a way I can mod it.

Associate
I was looking at this cooler, but I was thinking that you would still need a fan blowing on the Al cooler heatsink area.
Therefore I have ordered the Thermalright XP90C cooler with 92mm fan

Associate
gord said:
gah ive removed the nvidia chipset IDE drivers in add/remove programs but my system still loses that second SATA harddrive....dya think maybe i need to use driver cleaner on it or something?

edit: i think im gonna get rid of my second SATA hd and get an IDE one, that should solve the problem...it might be a dodgy hd anyway as i put it in another machine and it wouldnt find it on there either

more edit: any news on what that new beta bios does?

which port is it plugged into ? sil3114?

Associate
gord said:
ive tried it on the sil controller in JBOD mode and it still disappeared, its also been used on every Nv port to no avail
hi mate if its a drive on its own then it wont be seen by windows when plugged into the sil controller it has too be in a raid cfg..

Soldato
hmm, i thought if it was in JBOD mode that meant it could run as a single disk...as it did show up, and then as per usual locked up the system...

JBOD is just a bunch of disks...and AFAIK lets you run single hds on raid controllers

Back
Top Bottom